Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,567,723 Views | 62482 Replies | Last: 48 min ago by Crawdaddy
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, about 9 months ago.
Kyle98
AG
Stout Day and Election Day, Take 3!
wessimo
AG
My first S.O.S., courtesy of steve00 (thanks!). Tasty.
62strat
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Yeah, about 9 months ago.
Breweries never opened for to go sales? Dang I'm out of the loop, but I swore I saw plenty of bars open in summer. In fact I'm 100% positive I've seen recent pictures of my friends in bars that do not sell food.
ChipFTAC01
AG
They opened for to go sales but to dine in most have had to play dumb tricks and change their license to be a restaurant.
jah003
S
I can barely remember what I did yesterday...

However...

1. Shut down all bars and breweries
2. Ok breweries you can open now.
3. *****.. you're a bar... never mind.
4. Ok... I guess you're not a bar. Keep people on the patio.
5. Crap. We messed up again. You are a bar. Close.

Most breweries just charge you for food and build it in the beer price so they can meet the 50% rule.
La Fours
AG
First time trying Squirt Gun. It is another really solid beer from Real Ale.
AggieOO
jah003 said:

I can barely remember what I did yesterday...

However...

1. Shut down all bars and breweries
2. Ok breweries you can open now.
3. *****.. you're a bar... never mind.
4. Ok... I guess you're not a bar. Keep people on the patio.
5. Crap. We messed up again. You are a bar. Close.

Most breweries just charge you for food and build it in the beer price so they can meet the 50% rule.

Lets just go back to the old days. Buy a glass for $15 bucks and get 3 free beers!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hope you're feeling alright!

Question for you and other beer threaders who have celebrated a birth at the hospital with a special bottle that you brought in... was it worth it? I have a bottle in eye balling for my forthcoming occasion. Once the deed is done and we are all resting, of course! And if all is good health wise too.
AggieOO
jetch17 said:

CDub06 said:

Wow. The big bend area is a mess right now. Alpine & Marfa restaurants are closed because of positive COVID tests or are operating on reduced (weekend) hours for the most part.

I always enjoy Alpine, but I'm glad to be back in civilization to check this place out.

Some cool stuff here.

Big fan of TCB

If I ever get to travel for work again, can't wait to get out there. Also a new brewery in San Angelo basically across the street from Zero One.
AggieOO
Why would it not be worth it? I brought one in for the first kid. Will do it again in March.
jetch17
AG
AggieOO said:

jetch17 said:

CDub06 said:

Wow. The big bend area is a mess right now. Alpine & Marfa restaurants are closed because of positive COVID tests or are operating on reduced (weekend) hours for the most part.

I always enjoy Alpine, but I'm glad to be back in civilization to check this place out.

Some cool stuff here.

Big fan of TCB

If I ever get to travel for work again, can't wait to get out there. Also a new brewery in San Angelo basically across the street from Zero One.

It's weird I'm actually missing traveling to midland
jetch17
AG
AggieOO said:

Why would it not be worth it? I brought one in for the first kid. Will do it again in March.

Congrats man (maybe I'm late to seeing that)

I cracked a supplication in hospital with #1 & a beatification with #2
AggieOO
Thanks. Didn't miss anything, we've just been super low key with the news.
jetch17
AG
Awesome
Chipotlemonger
AG
Funny you mention those 2 beers, I have 1 of each on hand and was planning to use one for this purpose soon!

Hope you started ARod tonight.
jetch17
Chipotlemonger
AG
Congrats, by the way!

What is this baby boom gonna be called? The Covid boom? In 60 years, is "ok, boomer" gonna make a comeback with our kids?
jah003
S
Chipotlemonger said:

Question for you and other beer threaders who have celebrated a birth at the hospital with a special bottle that you brought in... was it worth it? I have a bottle in eye balling for my forthcoming occasion. Once the deed is done and we are all resting, of course! And if all is good health wise too.
Doing great. Teaching from home and wrangling kids.

Hell yeah. Pretty sure I had a Yabba Dabba out of my Thundercloud cup and I'll never forget that beer. Think I got a full 45 minutes of sleep that night. First kid was a hot mess, so no beer there.
Kyle98
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I waited until I got home, but now I'm mad I didn't think to bring a bottle into the hospital.
Kyle98
AG
jetch17 said:

AggieOO said:

jetch17 said:

CDub06 said:

Some cool stuff here.

Big fan of TCB

It's weird I'm actually missing traveling to midland

As someone who grew up in Odessa, this statement blows mind. I avoid going back.
Kyle98
AG
Ok, I just got my notification email for my residence conference/graduation from Norwich. I'll be in Northfield, VT for a week in June. Other than Alchemist and Lawson's, any must visits?
La Fours
AG
Congrats man.
dave99ag
AG
AggieOO said:

Awesome news!!!

Do you still have any Belgian Quads left?
SoTxAg
AG
I've had some Long Trail Brewing beers that were decent. Think they're in Bridgewater.
CDub06
AG
Long Trail is also the only one I've been to up there. I liked their IPAs and it was a great little stop between a day of hiking and driving. Check the COVID restrictions up there though if you're actually looking to visit breweries.
CDub06
AG
AggieOO said:

jetch17 said:

CDub06 said:

Some cool stuff here.

Big fan of TCB

News to me! I need to get back out there. I used to spend a lot of time in San Angelo and it's become a pretty cool town. It's been a couple of years since my last trip. Zero One & SoCo were the only breweries in town. Zero One was hit or miss, but still blew SoCo away. I discovered The Casual Pint taphouse on my last trip and I think that would be my go to now.
dave99ag
AG
CDub, how bad is it in Alpine? We're headed to our place over Thanksgiving and always stop by in Alpine for dinner at some point. The last few times we've gone it's been fairly normal operating hours.
CDub06
AG
It was weird for sure. I was there Monday - Wednesday, but normally finding food isn't a problem during the week.

Reata, Magoos, and La Casita seem to be open normal hours along with fast food. Most everywhere else was closed or operating on limited hours (Thurs - Sat/Sun). The websites and yelp didn't have the right hours listed which was problematic. Reata and the others are operating on a reduced menu as well.

EVERYONE in Marfa was closed. A couple of those restaurants had COVID cases, so they were shutdown while I was there.

The rest of town seems to be pretty normal during work hours. I was working with a local office there and the locals weren't really aware of what was open. We had to call around to like 5 places before we found lunch one day (taco truck behind Murphy Street Raspa building). I settled for Little Caesars one night after driving around town trying to find dinner and that place was SLAMMED.

It's always nice to be out there, but it wasn't the same experience as usual.
dave99ag
AG
You hit our regulars in Alpine, so that's good. Rarely venture west to Marfa. Maybe east for some Brick Vault. Damn, I so miss Big Bend Brewing. That Tejas revival is a sham.
AggieOO
dave99ag said:

AggieOO said:

Awesome news!!!

Do you still have any Belgian Quads left?
One left. That'll be the one I open.
AggieOO
dave99ag said:

CDub, how bad is it in Alpine? We're headed to our place over Thanksgiving and always stop by in Alpine for dinner at some point. The last few times we've gone it's been fairly normal operating hours.
We are head out for thanksgiving as well. I have a site in the NP for fri/sat nights. I think we are going out wed, but not sure exactly of plans yet. Might to go Stillwell. Meeting K's sister and her husband out there, but i think they are coming in on thurs.
dave99ag
AG
So glad you still have a quad for #2!

We're headed to our place with the boy on Thursday to put out a new feeder. Probably hit the park on Friday. Trying to decide what hike. Not sure he's ready for Lost Mine without me carrying him a lot. Plus it'll be "packed" on Friday probably.

Tis the season for stouts and Big Bend!
AggieOO
if you haven't taken him to Indain Head, that's an easy one. And he can climb around the rocks and look at all the rock art. Plus, you don't even have to drive into the park.
FriedTex
AG
Surly Fourteen. Barley Wine aged in Parker Heritage Bourbon Barrels (high end for you non bourbon snobs) 11 ABV

And it came in a damn box!
First Page Last Page
Page 1569 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.