Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,957 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by La Fours
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've personally never really understood the milkshake beer craze
62strat
AG
Jock 07 said:

i don't understand any of these crazes honestly.

Tonight I drank a Belgian trippel all night.
Other day it was some German styles (kolsch and helles)
I like dubbels, American browns, Flanders reds, Belgian whites, Sweet stouts, dry stouts, occasional pumpkin and winter warmers or fruited blondes in the summer.

Tried and true stuff. Classic styles.

I'm totally old man yelling at cloud, but I just don't chase these trends at all anymore. I tried to for a while a years or two ago. Milkshake stuff, cereal flavored stuff, glittery stuff, dessert flavored stuff.

They are trends for a reason; they aren't good enough to last more than a season. Now I totally appreciate a Brewery that has a solid classic style always on tap or in cans.

maca1028
That's hilarious, I actually asked them to but the lady behind the bar didn't find it very amusing.
Objective Aggie
AG
2015? This seems to be past its prime.

I had one once that was amazing but this one is too far gone. Drinkable. But not what I remember.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's unfortunate. And what was that, a near $30 bottle? I still don't think I've had any Cascade beers. They did a rebranding a couple of years ago, can't remember if they moved off of the bomber format or not.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That's why I've never tried them. I've always heard good things but the price point has always kept me from buying one.
jah003
S
Proper AF.

Best beer PHP makes. May or may not have bought a case.
MathNewman06
AG
I don't think their bottles are worth it most of the time, but visiting Cascade in Portland was one of the best brewery experiences I've had.
Tums before and after, pretzel and cheese, and tasters of every beer on the wall two at a time over a few hours.
Objective Aggie
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

That's unfortunate. And what was that, a near $30 bottle? I still don't think I've had any Cascade beers. They did a rebranding a couple of years ago, can't remember if they moved off of the bomber format or not.

Well I first this Cascade from a tap house and thought it was exceptional. Found a bottle fir $25 I think and it was likewise great.
Mathis one was $14?? and not ideal. But worth a shot.
maca1028
It's aight.
turfman80
AG
Objective Aggie said:

N2015? This seems to be past its prime.

I had one once that was amazing but this one is too far gone. Drinkable. But not what I remember.

Yeah, specs in CS has lowered the price on all of their 2015 Cascades to move them out. I almost pulled the trigger on a $13 Vine, which is great when fresh, but thought it might be past its prime.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Bmac04
AG
Anybody else win the KBBS lottery?
Kyle98
AG
This is really damn good. Coconut is right up front. Cherry is very faint.
jwag
AG
Glad you like it! My friend Matt brewed the first batch at MH.
jah003
S
Bmac04 said:

Anybody else win the KBBS lottery?

Was going to try and get my friend in Madison to proxy but I got distracted...

In other news it's officially Stout SZN
jgh85Ag
AG
A great BA Stout. But it will kick your ass if you are not careful.
Objective Aggie
AG
Another One.
jgh85Ag
AG
The outlets look shocked.
Kyle98
AG
jgh85Ag said:

A great BA Stout. But it will kick your ass if you are not careful.

Yeah, I'm glad they do the two cans as opposed to a bomber like most do.
Jock 07
AG
That two can concept is really brilliant. Kind of surprised it hasn't caught on more as a packaging option for big beers. Are they the only ones that do that? I know the bruery puts a lot of them in tall boys but 12 & 16 oz is a considerable difference when you're talking 10% and up
Wheatables02
AG
Stout szn in DFW
Kyle98
AG
They're the only ones I've seen.
MathNewman06
AG
Eureka heights also does it with their barrel aged beers.
La Fours
AG
I think 903 does it too.
cc10106
62strat said:

Jock 07 said:

People said the hazy IPA craze was just a trend that would eventually die. Now it's a regular style for lots of breweries, obviously with lots of variance in quality. Hell, even Live Oak made one. So much for that prediction.

Some breweries are more food/dessert-inspired in their approach like Great Notion and Ingenious in Houston. I don't blame them for brewing what they like, but having some good classic styles as a base and for customers that don't want adjuncts or fruit in their beverage seems like a no-brainer. The Urban South HTX Spilled series that was mentioned on the last page is popular, even if I don't care much for them or consider it "beer", but they also make a good pilsner. Sigma's Loggerbier is fantastic and probably the best new Houston beer in a while IMO, so I'm glad to see a local brewery took advantage of a maket full of trendy styles but lacking in good lagers especially compared to Austin.

Milkshake IPAs seem to be flattening off, but I doubt they'll go away completely.
62strat
AG
cc10106 said:

62strat said:

Jock 07 said:

People said the hazy IPA craze was just a trend that would eventually die. Now it's a regular style for lots of breweries, obviously with lots of variance in quality. Hell, even Live Oak made one. So much for that prediction.

Some breweries are more food/dessert-inspired in their approach like Great Notion and Ingenious in Houston. I don't blame them for brewing what they like, but having some good classic styles as a base and for customers that don't want adjuncts or fruit in their beverage seems like a no-brainer. The Urban South HTX Spilled series that was mentioned on the last page is popular, even if I don't care much for them or consider it "beer", but they also make a good pilsner. Sigma's Loggerbier is fantastic and probably the best new Houston beer in a while IMO, so I'm glad to see a local brewery took advantage of a maket full of trendy styles but lacking in good lagers especially compared to Austin.

Milkshake IPAs seem to be flattening off, but I doubt they'll go away completely.

Hazy has stuck around because it filled a legitimate void in craft beer; a hoppy beer that isn't a massive bitter bomb, and because it's not just random ingredients being thrown into beer.. it is still made from the 4 basic ingredients of water,barley,hops,yeast. So it was a natural progression of a classic style. There is a very large portion of beer drinkers who don't like overload of bitter, but like the aroma and flavors from all the different hops. For those reasons, I never really looked at that as a 'craze' really.

Cereal, snack food, glitter, or other random ingredients however are not a natural progression of any styles!
AgEng06
AG
ISO BA Glitter Stout!
cc10106
Are brut IPAs a natural progression?

*gag*
La Fours
AG
If I get my hands on a bottle of glitter beer, there will be video posted of me pissing glitter later that day.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nice collab DDH DIPA between Humble Sea (Santa Cruz) and Purity Project out of San Diego. Highly recommend Purity if you're in San Diego. Out in the middle of a business park right now, but I could see that changing. Amazing beers all the way around there.

jah003
S
La Fours said:

If I get my hands on a bottle of glitter beer, there will be video posted of me pissing glitter later that day.

ABW already makes a glitter beer... because of course they would.
jetch17
AG
you sure Martin House isnt coming out with a glitter gravy beer or something? well, i guess Thankksgiving is coming up.... Glitter Giblets? Green Bean Glitter? Mashed Potato Milkshake?
AggieOO
La Fours said:

some of us homebrew. what color do you prefer in your piss?

https://brewglitter.com/collections/brew-glitter
La Fours
turfman80
AG
A well made WCIPA

Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
First Page Last Page
Page 1566 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.