Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,566,981 Views | 62475 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by CDub06
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Happy anniversary y'all!
Jock 07
AG
Balls hot outside right now but **** it, might as well take advantage of the $300/month I'm spending on A/C
SoTxAg
AG
Good to know. Heading to CO in a couple weeks, but flying. Anybody ever put beers in their checked baggage?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I have done beer and wine. No big deal if you can pad and place them well. Just gets your bag up in weight pretty quickly.
La Fours
AG
Man, I wish my electric bill was $300. I really need to have more blow in insulation added in the attic.
SoTxAg
AG
Cool, so less clothes means more beer!
AgEng06
AG
Damn, fellas. How cold are you keeping your houses?
ChipFTAC01
AG
I flew home from England with a bunch. I think I just wrapped them in clothes as best I could. Maybe grocery bags but probably not as they aren't as prevalent over there.
dave99ag
AG
When my wife was flying nearly weekly pre-COVID, we setup a system of traveling with bubble-wrap, plastic bags, and tape. Generally she only came back with cans to minimize breakage. It also didn't hurt that she could have 75 lb bags, so she would take a the large suitcase even if it was a 3-4 day work trip. Only thing to worry about is TSA searching and not placing them back in the interior where they're less likely to get crushed.
steve00
AG
I usually buy a wine shipping box with styrofoam interior wherever I am at, then wrap the beers in bubblewrap to get a tight fit. Then tape up the box real good and check that. I feel like it is more secure than putting them inside my bag and there is no chance of something going wrong and messing up my clothes. Also, you can max out the allowed weight strictly for beer, instead of using up some of it with clothes, shoes, etc.
fav13andac1)c
AG
nm
jah003
S
AgEng06 said:

For real. I've never been above $200 a month in the 8 years we've been in our house.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
jah003 said:

AgEng06 said:

For real. I've never been above $200 a month in the 8 years we've been in our house.

Before we got a new ac a few months ago, just keeping our house between 80-85 in the summer during the day was a $300+ endeavor.
Jock 07
AG
AgEng06 said:

75-77. The more you use here in ca the more the ****ers charge you /kWh. I always wind up being in the mid tier
La Fours
AG
We run our ac at 78 during the day, and step down to 76 by the time we go to bed. My biggest issue is needing to add more blow in insulation in the attic. Our house is 24 years old and the insulation has settled and compacted over the years. We have 2 AC units that are about 6 years old. It was worse when we were running just the one 4 ton.
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, it sounds like insulation would really help you.

We keep it at 75-76 during the day and down to 72-73 at night. Two units on a ~2700 sq ft single story house (built in 2000) in Central Texas. Our bill was ~$175 last month.
dave99ag
AG
Come for the beer, stay for the home improvement and travel talk.

We're similar to AgEng06 and keep it 75-77 during the day and 73-71 at night. It took me a good while working on my wife to get it above 70 at night.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
dave99ag said:

We're similar to AgEng06 and keep it 75-77 during the day and 73-71 at night. It took me a good while working on my wife to get it above 70 at night.

May as well live like a caveman if you voluntarily have the temperature above 68 at night.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Ranger #007 said:

dave99ag said:

May as well live like a caveman if you voluntarily have the temperature above 68 at night.

Thermostat dips down to 74 at night and I still sleep with a comforter. Its good to know my cold dead heart keeps the energy bills low.
jah003
S
Ranger #007 said:

dave99ag said:

Dear lord. I don't think our house has hit 68 since maybe April. 72 is the absolute lowest I'll go.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Are you from the North Pole?
steve00
AG
I'm with Ranger. 72-74 during the day and 68 while sleeping. I figure I waste money on lots of things I don't need, so I'm not trying to be frugal when it affects how comfortable I am in my apartment.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I wasn't doing that previously because we had a crappy ac that couldn't keep up during the day at all and would have to run all night to keep it low.

Ours died in March and this one is keeping it how I like while being the same as our winter bills so I'm good. I like sleeping with blankets and I hate being hot.
big-ag
AG
We keep it 72 during the day unless we are gone. 68 at night. Anything higher than that and I'll sweat all night.

To keep this topical, beer helps cool things off during the day. Especially during the summer when this comes out.
dave99ag
AG
The higher temps also help when we go off grid and the only AC is West Texas winds. My wife has adjusted very well to the crazy I put her through. She never camped nor drank beer before we met.

La Fours
AG
My house hasn't seen 68 since winter. My wife would freeze to death in anything below about 74. She already wears long sleeve pj shirts and long pants in the summer under a Sheet and comforter. While I'm in my boxer briefs and maybe a sheet.
Chipotlemonger
AG
How is your bill so high? Big house or lots of appliances and the like?

Edit to make Beer related: Sierra Nevada Summerfest is a good readily available beer!
La Fours
AG
3000 sqft, 1 story home. We have 2 AC units, a 4 ton that covers most of the house, and a 2 ton that covers the master suite, playroom/sunroom, and laundry room. But seriously need to add more insulation.

I also have a MIL that lives with us, and she keeps all the gotdamn doors closed in the house.

Plus we have a 5 month old Border Collie Mix puppy who is Shiva, the Destroyer of All the Things left on the floor, and sometimes the walls, crown molding, chairs... So that makes us keep a lot of doors closed as well.

Beer related because I'm drinking Can-O-Bliss while finally doing our taxes.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Had a Belgian tripel tonight. My regular rotation is between lagers/pils and hops, with the occasional sour thrown in, but it is nice to have a great Belgian style beer every now and then.
AggieOO
Chipotlemonger said:

Had a Belgian tripel tonight. My regular rotation is between lagers/pils and hops, with the occasional sour thrown in, but it is nice to have a great Belgian style beer every now and then.
tripels (and dubbels/quads) are what initially got me to transition away from mass-produced crap.
CDub06
AG
I mean that's cool, but what was your thermostat set to?
DaveHimself
AG
Quote:

Quote:

tripels (and dubbels/quads) are what initially got me to transition away from mass-produced crap.

Same here, Belgians were my go to as well...Brother Thelonious, Gulden Draak, Delirium Tremens, La Terrible, etc.
Now I rarely drink them...too sweet and "malty", plus not a fan of the yeast anymore.
Chipotlemonger
AG
CDub06 said:

Nest set to Eco and had the windows open.
dave99ag
AG
LOOK AT ME! I live in a temperate climate.
jah003
S
Chipotlemonger said:

CDub06 said:

Nest set to Eco and had the windows open.
Cant wait to open my windows again...

In November.
First Page Last Page
Page 1536 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.