Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,640,138 Views | 62606 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by La Fours
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm glad that Crooked Stave got down to Denver. Their beers are all around great. They were pouring their peach sour, Persica, at GABF last night. That line was the longest one of the night.
streetfighter2012
AG
I think I could make it to the bottom of Niagara Falls with a barrel like that.
62strat
AG
NCOAG, what do you mean got down to denver? I thought they just started here?

edit.. ahh I see they started in Ft. Collins...

makes sense now.
http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20110603/BREWERY02/306030006/New-Fort-Collins-brewer-gets-creative-barrel-aged-sour-beers

damn at 26 years old the guy already had a degree in biomedicine at CSU, studied wine making in New Zealand, had a degree in distilling and brewing and dissertation on brettanomyces yeast from Heriot Watt University's International Centre for Brewing and Distilling in Edinburgh, Scotland.

That's a guy who knew what he wanted to do.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 10/12/2012 1:15p).]
NColoradoAG
I've met Chad a few times. He is really cool. Just stop into the tap room and he will give you tours and talk your ear off for hours. If you're interested, I'd be willing to split a reserve society membership. It has been a bit frustrating this year with the bottle releases being a bit low, but I think next year will run smoother.
BSD
AG
Damn, I'd be interested in a Reserve Society Membership! Too bad they won't ship.
NColoradoAG
BSD, I'd trustee for you.
BSD
AG
Hmmm. I might need to acquire a sample or two before diving in! Let's see if I can find a Denver trip in my plan this fall.
62strat
AG
with a guy like that behind the wheel, I can't imagine he doesn't make fantastic examples of those particular styles.

I've only had 1, it was damn good.

how much is that memebership?
NColoradoAG
$300. I missed joining by just a couple people, but I've heard from several that it was barely worth it this year. However, a lot of the problems with releases and bottle counts were due to the contract brewing at Funkwerks and moving to Denver.

I have heard the price will remain the same and bottle allocations will be higher now that the taproom is open and brewing operations are expanding. That came from Scott B. who owns Mr. B's Liquor in LoDo. He is good friends with Chad so I am definitely taking the plunge for 2013.

I am also about 80% sure I'm going to buy a Bruery Reserve membership as well.

This is going to be an expensive month.

http://membership.crookedstave.com/
AggieOO
drinking a crappy corona.

1) it is free
2) it counts toward the "mexican beer badge" on untappd.
Sooner Born
Drinking my Crooked Stave WWBI right now.
mattvswild
AG
We moved to NC not too long ago and I'm enjoying all the new beer offerings. For those of you more familiar with the options this way, what are your "must try" suggestions?
NColoradoAG
Foothills and Olde Hickory come to mind first. I haven't had a whole lot from them, but love the regular and barrel aged sexual chocolate from Foothills, and Olde Hickory's Imperial Stout and Event Horizon.

Duck Rabbit makes some decent beers.

I see that NC gets Founders, Dark Horse, Hoppin Frog, New Holland, Smuttynose, Southampton, and Southern Tier. Those are all great breweries that should provide something in a style(s) you like.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 10/12/2012 4:22p).]
Jock 07
AG
NCol; what do you like from Southern Tier? We get a few of their offerings here. The only one I've tried was their DIPA (one of 2 DIPA offerings that are avaliable here) which I wasn't much a fan of.
NColoradoAG
They make the best pumpkin beer out there, Pumpking. I also like Choklat, but that is a polarizing beer. It is very sweet. Mokah, Jahva, and Cremee Brulee are also ones I like. Again, those are all pretty polarizing since Southern Tier isn't afraid to ramp up the flavor by using extracts and stuff. If you like imperial stouts with a twist, I'd give some of those a try.
NColoradoAG
I'm seeing Pliny popping up on Facebook status updates for a few shops. Bottled 10/4. I'll definitely be bringing some down to the LSU tailgate and/or Friday bottle share.

I know that Jock07 is in, who else will be stopping by?
BSD
AG
I think I'll be missing lsu unless it's the 11:00am game. I have a concert that night and then leave early Sunday for vacation.
txag2008
AG
Jock07, where are you to find Southern Tier?
I'd love to get some Pumking.
NColoradoAG
I think there's a strong possibility we are the 11am game
Jock 07
AG
I get it here in Minot but only 2xipa and a couple of their other basic generics.
Seriously hope its not an 11 am kick

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 10/12/2012 10:37p).]
La Fours
AG
I'm in for a tailgate bottle share. It looks like I'll be working late Friday. I'll bring my bottle of Weasel Rodeo. I'll keep an eye out for some others here in CS. Has anyone seen Deschutes The Dissident on shelves any where? That goes for any of you. Not just Texas folks.
jah003
S
Headed to Sunrise this morning... will post my haul later in the day.
jetch17
AG
I'll be up for LSU
cpscAG06
AG
drinking a Great Divide Rumble. DFH Burton Baton is on deck
jh0400
AG
I stopped by Spec's in Midtown today to stock up on $35 Laphroaig and was able to pick up a Krunkin Punkin. I'm probably going to hang on to it for a few weeks, because I just can't get in the mood when it's 86 degrees out.
mattvswild
AG
Picked up a bottle of Allagash Curieux today. Looking forward to opening it for kickoff.
Jock 07
AG
Pursuit of hoppiness from grand Teton brewery. Listed as an imperial red. Pretty decent offering with a good hop presence for a red
army01
AG
Today's run:

AggieOO
that small batch 2 is terrible. tastes like cheese.
AggieOO
anyone pick up pumpkinator today?
NColoradoAG
Well, I don't know about yall, but I saw the 11am kickoff coming a mile away. Sucks, but it just means we'll be drinking at 7am.

So, I'd like to get a roll call for a bottle share. I am up for Friday night or Saturday in Lot H. We'd probably need a spot if we choose Friday. Let's see about numbers and move from there. So let me know if you're in, whether you like Friday or Saturday, and if it's Saturday whether or not you like before or after the game.

GABF'ers stole all the Pliny around town so I only ended up with one bottle, but I'd love to share. It dropped last Friday so some might pop up this week. At this point, I'll be bringing:

Pliny
Sanctification
Zombie Dust
Something else sour
Something else hoppy
Something else that's been in some sort of barrel

So far I see these folks with interest in the bottle share:

Jock07
BSD
Lafours
Jetch

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 10/15/2012 12:19p).]
Jock 07
AG
I'm still down and can do either Fri or Sat. Riding into town with a buddy so I won't have a vehicle but I'm sure can make it to where ever this goes down. Surly is really the only brand of note I can get here that y'all can't get so I'm bringing a 4 pack of tallboys of their octoberfest, WET, and Furious and an extra 3/4 of a 4 pack of Furious which is their flagship brew. Unfourtunately their best offering, Abrasive, still doesn't come out for another month or so.
Jason_Ag98
AG
quote:
anyone pick up pumpkinator today?

Picked up a couple of bottles at Spec's in Austin. Sounds like more places here will be getting it tomorrow.
Robert C. Christian
AG
If you are looking to find out were people are finding Pumpkinator search #Pumpkinator on twitter.
AggieOO
i hate twitter, but i feel like every day moves me closer to having to start using it.
First Page Last Page
Page 130 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.