Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,641,950 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by SoTxAg
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FrioAg said:

Pretty good right up on both bills here. This is really dumb:
Quote:

Here's another impact of the bill. The 5,000 bbls allowed to be sold on site would also be the sum of all breweries with common ownership. For instance, Hops & Grain Brewing in Austin, San Marcos and Pint & Plow Brewing in Kerrville, TX would all be counted towards our 5,000 bbl limit because of my common ownership with the three facilities. If we had any investors who had an ownership interest in another brewery in Texas then that breweries tap room sales would also be lumped into our total.

Now here's where it really gets nefarious. If the total production were to increase above 225,000 bbls this bill would still allow for the 5,000 bbl sold on-site but the beer would have to be sold to a wholesaler and then purchased back at retail price before it could be sold on-site. But the beer would never actually leave the brewery. A brewer would have to invoice their distributor at the normal wholesale cost and then the wholesaler would send back an invoice at retail cost before the brewer could sell it. And because of the wonders of the Alcoholic Beverage Code, the brewer would have to pay the invoice immediately and the wholesaler would be allowed credit terms on their invoice.

Can't they just sell it to middle man at a reduced cost, so when they buy it back, it's all a wash?
Jock 07
AG
I'd assume side project
andgate
I don't recall side project having a tv when I went last but wasn't paying a lot of attention.
Robert C. Christian
AG
62strat said:

FrioAg said:

Quote:

Here's another impact of the bill. The 5,000 bbls allowed to be sold on site would also be the sum of all breweries with common ownership. For instance, Hops & Grain Brewing in Austin, San Marcos and Pint & Plow Brewing in Kerrville, TX would all be counted towards our 5,000 bbl limit because of my common ownership with the three facilities. If we had any investors who had an ownership interest in another brewery in Texas then that breweries tap room sales would also be lumped into our total.

Now here's where it really gets nefarious. If the total production were to increase above 225,000 bbls this bill would still allow for the 5,000 bbl sold on-site but the beer would have to be sold to a wholesaler and then purchased back at retail price before it could be sold on-site. But the beer would never actually leave the brewery. A brewer would have to invoice their distributor at the normal wholesale cost and then the wholesaler would send back an invoice at retail cost before the brewer could sell it. And because of the wonders of the Alcoholic Beverage Code, the brewer would have to pay the invoice immediately and the wholesaler would be allowed credit terms on their invoice.

Can't they just sell it to middle man at a reduced cost, so when they buy it back, it's all a wash?

Even at a reduced cost brewers would still be charged to move beer from fermenter to keg to serving. Where as before it would have been $0 to serve at taproom. If I am understanding correctly.
lne2011
AG
FrioAg said:

Quote:

This is a good reminder why breweries who sell to ABI like Karbach and Wicked Weed are bad for craft breweries. I know this bill would actually hurt someone really bad like Karbach. But, my point is that the 2 big lobbyist groups(big beer and distributors) are going to use laws to make them as much money as possible with no regards to the little guys.

The state of Texas should of been working on a bill this session that would allow breweries to sell beer for off site consumption directly from the brewery. Instead, we have lobbyist for distributors working on a bill that does the exact opposite.
AggieOO
FrioAg said:

62strat said:

FrioAg said:

Quote:

Even at a reduced cost brewers would still be charged to move beer from fermenter to keg to serving. Where as before it would have been $0 to serve at taproom. If I am understanding correctly.
they aren't serving from fermenters in the taproom.
62strat
AG
ABI also reportedly just announced that all of the hop production from south africa, which was SAB farms (now ABI) will be only used for ABI owned beers, voiding all contracts from outside brewers.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/anheuser-busch-inbev-shuts-out-craft-beer-brewers-by-hoarding-hops-2017-05-11?mod=mw_share_facebook
62strat
AG
AggieOO said:

FrioAg said:

62strat said:

FrioAg said:

Quote:

Yeh, that response didn't make any sense to me either. Taprooms serve from kegs. This bill specifically says, the kegs don't even have to leave the brewery.. it's just paperwork.

I don't know who sets pricing, but it seems brewery could sell product X to wholesale for whatever amount, with a contractual agreed price to buy back (basically a 'retail' price). So yes they do lose some, but seems they could control it.

Sell them the keg for $40 and buy it back for $45 They lose $5 a keg. If the markup is set by wholesaler (say 20%), then sell them the keg for $10 and but it back for $12.

If you also sell kegs to same wholesaler that actually go to bars/restaurants, that may get tricky (probably can't sell same keg at two different prices I'm sure). But for those that only do taproom drafts....
62strat
AG
Outside of all that, why isn't there a craft only wholesaler in TX.. or is there? Seems they could work with breweries to loophole the **** out of a bill like that.
MathNewman06
AG
I think flood distribution is craft only.
Robert C. Christian
AG
AggieOO said:

FrioAg said:

62strat said:

FrioAg said:

Quote:

Understand. Was trying illustrate that, under both models, beers never leave the brewery. In the new model, they are being charged X amount to buy back and sell in the taproom where previously it had been at $0 added cost.
Robert C. Christian
AG
62strat said:

AggieOO said:

FrioAg said:

62strat said:

FrioAg said:

Quote:

Yeh, that response didn't make any sense to me either. Taprooms serve from kegs. This bill specifically says, the kegs don't even have to leave the brewery.. it's just paperwork.

I don't know who sets pricing, but it seems brewery could sell product X to wholesale for whatever amount, with a contractual agreed price to buy back (basically a 'retail' price). So yes they do lose some, but seems they could control it.

Sell them the keg for $40 and buy it back for $45 They lose $5 a keg. If the markup is set by wholesaler (say 20%), then sell them the keg for $10 and but it back for $12.

If you also sell kegs to same wholesaler that actually go to bars/restaurants, that may get tricky (probably can't sell same keg at two different prices I'm sure). But for those that only do taproom drafts....
I understand that beer comes from kegs in a taproom. Point is that the same process applies (Ferment, Keg, Serve) whether or not the law is in effect.

Even with the agreed upon buy back price, you are now introducing a new cost for no added benefit to the brewery. Only the distributor gets a benefit as they are now gaining profit from having the tap room sales.
MathNewman06
AG
Free money for distributors for a product they haven't touched.
I suppose their argument could be that it's a lost opportunity for them since that beer could have been served somewhere that would have required their services, but that's pretty asinine.
DaveHimself
AG
Had a few awesome NE IPAs last weekend. Both from a small MA brewery, Tree House Brewing Company.
Pic below is their Doppelgnger. Also had one called Haze. Both were juicy citrus bombs.

lne2011
AG
62strat said:

AggieOO said:

FrioAg said:

62strat said:

FrioAg said:

Quote:

Regardless of what price they set it's the principles of it. The keg literally does not move from the brewery, but yet you must pay a distributor for rights to sell your beer in your taproom. It's a money grab.

You own a brewery, you fill the keg with beer, move the keg into the cooler, connect it to the taps and start selling beer.

If this bill becomes a law, you fill the keg with beer, move the keg into the cooler, sell your keg to a distributor, wait for them to process the payment, buy the keg back from them, connect it to the taps and start selling beer at higher price to offset the money you had to spend to own your beer again.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
They shouldn't have to do that though is the point. Sure they can keep prices down for their consumers but it's completely absurd that a company providing no service in that instance whatsoever should profit. I'd be tempted to make them pick it up and deliver it back just so they had to earn their check.
AggieOO
Lucky #007 said:

They shouldn't have to do that though is the point. Sure they can keep prices down for their consumers but it's completely absurd that a company providing no service in that instance whatsoever should profit. I'd be tempted to make them pick it up and deliver it back just so they had to earn their check.
i know i sure as hell would. unless the distributors paid enough $$ to get something written into the bill to avoid this, which wouldn't surprise me.
62strat
AG
Guys I understand the law is stupid and is only giving money to someone not adding any benefit.. My point is, if a law like this passed, it seems easy to circumvent.
AggieStout
AG
62strat said:

Outside of all that, why isn't there a craft only wholesaler in TX.. or is there? Seems they could work with breweries to loophole the **** out of a bill like that.
I was thinking the same thing. I was also thinking that I like craft beer and I may also be good at distributing it. Plus I wouldn't charge much at all for said craft beer.

TexAgs Craft only beer distributor business? who's in?
MathNewman06
AG
AggieStout said:

62strat said:

I was thinking the same thing. I was also thinking that I like craft beer and I may also be good at distributing it. Plus I wouldn't charge much at all for said craft beer.

TexAgs Craft only beer distributor business? who's in?

I'm in. I can fit at least 3 kegs in my car.
streetfighter2012
AG
Haven't you been following? They don't need to fit in your car, all we have to do is paperwork and the kegs just stay in the cooler.
wessimo
AG
Three-tier system needs to die. Breweries of any size should be free to sell as much as they want on site (for on or off premise consumption) and have the choice to distribute on their own and/or work with a distributor.
62strat
AG
wessimo said:

Three-tier system needs to die. Breweries of any size should be free to sell as much as they want on site (for on or off premise consumption) and have the choice to distribute on their own and/or work with a distributor.
Isn't a three tier system still in place in every state? Difference being, in most states a brewery can bypass and self distribute? Or is that allowed in TX too? I don't even remember all the changes they made several years ago.

Brewery - wholesaler - retailer - consumer. I'm sure some beer in a liquor store in CO is self distributed from a brewery, but surely many of them go through a wholesaler... they coexist.
wessimo
AG
I'm fine with breweries using a distributor if they want to, I just disagree with laws saying they have to.
SecoKid
AG
wessimo said:

I'm fine with breweries using a distributor if they want to, I just disagree with laws saying they have to.

This. Shouldn't distributors have to show how they add value to breweries and consumers, instead of just forcing those groups to use them?
Represent830
AG
DonaldFDraper said:

SP = ?

Any near the airport?

Side Project.

And yes, they were raving about Narrow Gauge. Especially if you like IPAs. It's N/NE of the airport in Florissant.
La Fours
AG
Breweries can self distribute in Texas. There may be a production limit though. Can't brew more than x number of barrels a year to be able to self distribute. Or maybe it depends on the license the brewery gets. Taproom vs brew pub vs production brewery. Those all have limits on production amounts.
Jock 07
AG
Anyone still need some hot hopslam? I know people.

maca1028
The first time I had that I thought it was the best IPA ever....the second time I had that I almost poured it out.
steve00
AG
I agree with your second thought. Two Hearted is great. HopSlam I gave away to anyone who would take it.
Two Down
AG
Made it to Newport.

Priorities

Completely new experience

Hotel beer... Blurry

La Fours
AG
Nice boat.
AgEng06
AG
YAF
Bmac04
AG
Easily the best 2 new beers I've had this year
AggieStout
AG
I saw some of those posted not too long ago for sale, but they wanted a good amount for them. I guess the beer lives up to the price.
First Page Last Page
Page 1202 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.