Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,611 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by La Fours
Connd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's pretty solid. If you've ever had fully adrift from pinthouse pizza it's fairly similar.
jah003
S
Standing headed into the Finals...

Looks like a combination of Hudson, Streetfighter, Dave, and Chipotle will be in the top 3. I'll work on a Google Sheet later today.
Hudson2508
AG
The Top 3 will remain if UNC wins and Chipotle will hop to #1, I'll get 2nd and CPS will get 3rd if Gonzaga wins.
NColoradoAG
So when are we all getting together this coming weekend?
AggieStout
AG
streetfighter2012 said:

AggieStout said:

Do we know yet what beer the potential winner like. I want to get a start on my package.

You're the guy who talks about a no-hitter in the 6th inning aren't you
Oh I tell everyone if there is a no no going into the 6th. Want everyone to know about it and enjoy it.
Connd
steve00
AG
This is phenomenal. Thanks BSD!

maca1028
It is! I'm hoping they release some last weekend of April so I can snag some more.
jetch17
AG
Finally back home and making sweet love to NCols juicy bits ... thanks again, and thanks BSD for being the pivot man

Chipotlemonger
AG

steve00
AG
Making room for this year's vintage that just came out.
Chipotlemonger
AG
So I just got back from Asheville, NC. Had an awesome couple of days there, and highly recommend it as a beer destination for y'all. I'm going to post some pics from the trip with notes and a summary.

Drove on the Blue Ridge Parkway up to hike the Graveyard Fields trails and see some of the Appalachian range. Beautiful place and great hiking.

Had donuts pre-hike from this place called Hole in Asheville. Made everything to order and by hand. Great donuts.

Some of these pictures my girlfriend took... Here is an overhead shot of a couple beers at Bhramari Brewhouse. Great appetizer and some unique brews. Got a sour brown ale (one of my favorite styles) brewed with pomegranate.

Hit up Burial Beer Co. and got a flight of some of their offerings. Great beers and awesome venue. This is a can of what the gf got, a tasty saison and not overboard sweet with the honey.

Here's Napoleon Complex from Wicked Weed at their pub/taproom location. A hopped up pale ale. It's quite the operation that Wicked Weed has in Asheville, between this location and the Funkatorium.

Which brings me to the last couple pics.

Had La Mure Morte (blackberry sour ale) and Silencio (dark sour ale with vanilla and coffee). They had bottles to go, and fortunately my trip lined up with their Red Angel release. Was able to get a 3-pack including that beer and 2 other 500 mL bottles from the Funkatorium.

And the total haul:

We went to more breweries and places, but this is a good sample of our time there. I think my favorite brewery there, when accounting for beer, taproom, location, branding, etc., was Burial Beer Co.

The whole weekend was a blast from start to finish, from the nature to the breweries to the size of the town to the food to pretty much everything we did. If any of y'all are considering a trip there just let me know and we can talk more about it.

jetch17
jetch17
AG
Sunday evening tasty

streetfighter2012
AG
Glad to hear you had a good trip. My wife and I are heading out there at the end of April. I had Wicked Weed/Funkatorium and highland on the list of places, will add Burial to the list as well. Any other places or hiking you'd suggest?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Tried some Highland on tap while there, but wasn't able to make it to the brewery. There's more to do, drink, and see than there's time for honestly.

What's great though is that a lot of these places are in very close proximity to one another. Funkatorium is really close to Burial. Hi-Wire is another place we went, and they had a really cool taproom. Bhramari was actually my girlfriend's favorite one of them all I think. Awesome food that we tried, good patio.

One place I didn't mention was One World Brewing. They were located in the basement of a downtown building, and had an alley entrance. Had a solid pilsner there and played some darts. It was a unique little operation. Felt like an underground big city club, if that's your scene.

Hiking wise, the Blue Ridge Pkwy up through the mountains had so many trails and awesome overlooks that it was ridiculous... every mile or few was another spot to park the car then go explore. And the drive was fun. Graveyard Fields has some great waterfalls so it is a popular trailhead. But there were many options in the area. Look up Black Balsam too.

Coming back to Tennessee we actually crossed over the Appalachian Trail. Could always pop on there and hike part of it, there were a couple good points apparently to do that west of Asheville. This website will sound corny, but check it out for more on hikes:
https://www.romanticasheville.com/ (was recommended to us by a local)

Forgot to mention: food wise this was a stellar trip. If you want to ask about any of that we can take it offline away from the beer thread. It's really insane how many great places there are to eat in Asheville. Wicked Weed's places, both, had some great stuff.
cc10106

I spent the last few days in Atlanta and Athens and will highly recommend a stop at Wrecking Bar Brewpub in ATL if you're in town. Everything I tried was excellent, with the grissette, DBA barleywine, and I'll Smell It DIPA (pictured) being my favorites. I was kicking myself for not being able to bring/ship some growlers of the DIPA back to TX, but maybe someone else here will get to enjoy it soon. The house pastrami was on point as well. Athens was as great as advertised in the few hours I was there, and visiting Creature Comforts and Five Points Bottle Shop were other highlights. Having access to Tropicalia at nearly every bar I stopped at was awesome, and I'll definitely be visiting Atlanta again despite the hellish traffic and massive airport.
Jock 07
AG
reesei10
I thought this was a great beer by Circle, as well as, a cool story and a fair amount of effort to make. Definitely worth a try if you can find it, but I am not sure how far Circle distributes.

IronRed13
AG
Abyss vertical on Saturday. 2008 - 2016 + variants/blends + homebrew clone Deepcore. Thanks Corndog04 for trading the '08 and '09. The '09 definitely had some sort of infection but minor, and gave a pleasant tartness. 2010 was the consensus favorite standard, but the Cognac/Scotch variants were best overall. Our home brew held its on, but had significantly more vanilla and oak than most, but still could've beat out a couple of the vintages!

MathNewman06
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Collage #2. How I pine for another bottle of that beer.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Woahhhh thats awesome! Pretty legit lineup right there. Did you like the scotch variant? I have seen it floating around in DFW, but I was hesitant to pick it up at the price when many scotch barrel aged beers I've had in the past have been all over the place.
AggieStout
AG
Anyone know when KBS is supposed to hit stores in Texas/Austin. National distro was April 1 so I hope should be happening soon.
La Fours
AG
DallasAggie2012 said:

Woahhhh thats awesome! Pretty legit lineup right there. Did you like the scotch variant? I have seen it floating around in DFW, but I was hesitant to pick it up at the price when many scotch barrel aged beers I've had in the past have been all over the place.
I really liked it. It wasn't over powering with the scotch. I think it is worth it, but I am also a Deschutes homer. I will add this, it would do better with age vs drinking fresh.
jah003
S
NColoradoAG said:

So when are we all getting together this coming weekend?
Coming in Saturday morning. Got to hang with the family Saturday and Sunday though. May be able to sneak away for a beer or 3 at some point though.
jah003
S
AggieStout said:

Anyone know when KBS is supposed to hit stores in Texas/Austin. National distro was April 1 so I hope should be happening soon.
Whichcraft said Wednesday. They are typically 2-3 days ahead of the HEB's and such... I'll ask my beer guy.
La Fours
AG
Looks like Saturday after 3pm is when I'll be free. I'm trying to take Friday off, but that's looking like it won't happen.
dave99ag
AG
Have to go to a banquet Saturday afternoon, so it's probably not a good idea to get sloshed beforehand.
La Fours
AG
dave99ag said:

Have to go to a banquet Saturday afternoon, so it's probably not a good idea to get sloshed beforehand.
Depends on the banquet. Might actually be a great idea.
NColoradoAG
La Fours said:

Looks like Saturday after 3pm is when I'll be free. I'm trying to take Friday off, but that's looking like it won't happen.

Well I guess I'll just eat Fargos, drink beer, and watch golf by myself Friday.
maca1028
Make a drive out to conroe eat some crawfish and drink some good beer.
Represent830
AG
Think I'm going to make it up for the game. Where will everyone be and at what time?

Also, longshot here, but does anyone have access to Wicked Weed distro? In particular, El Paraiso? I made a trade with a dude for some other beers and he wanted some specific extras so I asked him to throw a few of those in there. Had one last night and it was absolutely lights out and I want more. I would ask that dude I traded with but he was an absolute ******* and the worst person I've ever traded with.
jah003
S
NColoradoAG said:

La Fours said:

Well I guess I'll just eat Fargos, drink beer, and watch golf by myself Friday.
When are you flying in/are you flying into Austin? I'm taking Thursday afternoon off... Would love to drink some beers at ABW with you.
dave99ag
AG
La Fours said:

dave99ag said:

Depends on the banquet. Might actually be a great idea.
Getting a staff award, so probably not if I want keep working. They do have a cash bar beforehand though.
First Page Last Page
Page 1178 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.