Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,671,770 Views | 62636 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by maca1028
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I may have a celebratory/we are fked 2015 WBDPP later.
dave99ag
AG
Put in River North's Funk the Man in the fridge for tonight.
Jason_Ag98
AG
I was thinking about opening a La Fin du Monde.
MathNewman06
AG
Jason_Ag98 said:

I was thinking about opening a La Fin du Monde.

Perfect.
jah003
S
La Fours said:

I may have a celebratory/we are fked 2015 WBDPP later.

Gonna go with an Abyss... Seems appropriate.
Scriffer
AG
I figure either way, we're at the End of Days, so I've got an Avery The Beast in the fridge. I'm a little under the weather, so I may not make it there though.
Jock 07
AG
Yeah, not to turn this thread into politics but we're ****ed regardless of what happens tonight. Best chance ever for a 3rd party and you get that chucklehead Johnson
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Does Florida have coconuts?

I'm drinking death by coconut. Would be appropriate if Hillary wins Florida.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Represent830 said:

Thinking about shotgunning a Tweak tonight in celebration of our new President.
jah003
S

So is anyone gonna actually show up for work tomorrow or no...?
La Fours
AG
Depends on how my dentist appointment goes in he morning.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Nightmare on 1st Street
Dream Crusher
Now on to Black Metal.

And as was mentioned, not much head on this bottle and tastes like straight liquor with a hint of Black Metal. Not sure that's bad though.
La Fours
AG
Two old fashions at dinner and now drinking a Southern Star Conspiracy Theory. And later maybe the WBDPP.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

Election watching with a great Texas beer in a Belgian owned brewery's glass.
Jock 07
AG
My selection for the evening

Chipotlemonger
AG
Founders Breakfast Stout right now, very nice.
maca1028
Is anyone from Houston going to the game? I have a lot e parking pass up for grabs for whoever wants it.
La Fours
AG
You're still coming right? I will gladly take the pass off your hands.
maca1028
No, we have a funeral to go to and won't make it up in time.
La Fours
AG
Ah damn. That sucks man.
maca1028
Yea it does, we were looking forward to Saturday being that it's the only game we were gonna make this year. I'm working on my wife for the LSU game but thanksgiving is getting in the way.
jah003
S
We all need some good news right...?
Bmac04
AG
Anyone going to the game this weekend? Have lots of bottles I need to open
maca1028
La Fours
AG
Bmac04 said:

Anyone going to the game this weekend? Have lots of bottles I need to open
I'm going with my wife. But not sure of our schedule and if we will be tailgating.
DallasAggie2012
AG
I'll be out there with the wife and parents. We'll be meeting up with some friends at a tailgate by Reed around lunch time. Not sure about schedule beyond that though.
MattJaxson
AG
I'll be there. No real plans before the game, so would probably show up if we figure something out.
Bmac04
AG
I have no real plans before the game as well other than opening bottles.

Not sure where I will be but i would imagine it would be over by Reed
Bmac04
AG
Newest member of the family arrived today

maca1028
Bmac04 said:

Fuqua!!
DallasAggie2012
AG
Damnnnnnn

I'll probably bring a few good bottles out to Reed if you guys wanna pop some stuff.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Howdy everyone!

I've been away from the thread for a bit but didn't want y'all to think I was avoiding having the inevitable convo about the Karbach news.

Personally, it has been a really rough week, from the bombshell dropped Wed/Thurs about Karbach, to the loss by the Ags on Saturday, and then (I know not for everyone) the shocking election results that I'm still having a hard time processing.

Thursday morning, I would say that nearly every non-founder of the brewery felt the same disappointment and anger (and basically went through the stages of grief) that people have expressed here and on our social media. The mood improved after a lot of pointed questions, mostly from production, about the way we would be able to operate and the future of our beers. Those people have had their questions answered fully and still believe they will be able to produce an equal and likely better product than before, especially considering the investment we were already doing in new production equipment (that I've mentioned in previous posts). I think most people are still processing to some degree, but at a certain point you can't mope too much because we each stand by the hard work that everyone in the Karbach family does.

I understand that there's a stigma about being in the AB craft division, and I'm one of those people who has always preached independence being one of the pillars of the "craft beer" classification. I've railed against their monopolistic business practices and been infuriated by their specifically anti-craft ads and never thought I'd be aligned with a corporation with which I have such fundamental issues.

But what's allowed me to make peace with all of it is that from a practical perspective, our beer is being made to the same specs, by the same people, in the same place, with total autonomy and greater resources than we will have had before. If production is satisfied with their situation, I have total trust in the quality the Karbach name has and will continue to represent. At the end of the day, the beer goes through the same strict evaluations and is approved by the same talented people who have made us a consistent brewery for 5+ years.

Speaking of those people who make and sell and serve the beer: our benefits are improving in every facet, our educational opportunities increase infinitely, and while I can't speak for every single hourly position (because I don't attend their meetings), it sounds like everyone at Karbach is going to be better taken care of from a pay standpoint, too.

So, I guess I would sum it up simply: Drink Karbach if you like the beer. If you didn't like it before, fine. But if you liked it and it continues to hold up to your standards, then please keep drinking it; there are about 160 local employees counting on it. If you're going solely on quality, I think you'll be drinking Karbach a long, long time.

By the way, I took off Saturday to go to my first Aggie game this year, so if anyone wants to come by and tailgate I'll be happy to answer any questions I'm able to.
jh0400
AG
Bmac04 said:

Serious question: Does anyone drink these beers, or are they just traded in circles for other #whalezbro?
MW13
AG
Inspector Spacetime said:

Howdy everyone!

I've been away from the thread for a bit but didn't want y'all to think I was avoiding having the inevitable convo about the Karbach news.

Personally, it has been a really rough week, from the bombshell dropped Wed/Thurs about Karbach, to the loss by the Ags on Saturday, and then (I know not for everyone) the shocking election results that I'm still having a hard time processing.

Thursday morning, I would say that nearly every non-founder of the brewery felt the same disappointment and anger (and basically went through the stages of grief) that people have expressed here and on our social media. The mood improved after a lot of pointed questions, mostly from production, about the way we would be able to operate and the future of our beers. Those people have had their questions answered fully and still believe they will be able to produce an equal and likely better product than before, especially considering the investment we were already doing in new production equipment (that I've mentioned in previous posts). I think most people are still processing to some degree, but at a certain point you can't mope too much because we each stand by the hard work that everyone in the Karbach family does.

I understand that there's a stigma about being in the AB craft division, and I'm one of those people who has always preached independence being one of the pillars of the "craft beer" classification. I've railed against their monopolistic business practices and been infuriated by their specifically anti-craft ads and never thought I'd be aligned with a corporation with which I have such fundamental issues.

But what's allowed me to make peace with all of it is that from a practical perspective, our beer is being made to the same specs, by the same people, in the same place, with total autonomy and greater resources than we will have had before. If production is satisfied with their situation, I have total trust in the quality the Karbach name has and will continue to represent. At the end of the day, the beer goes through the same strict evaluations and is approved by the same talented people who have made us a consistent brewery for 5+ years.

Speaking of those people who make and sell and serve the beer: our benefits are improving in every facet, our educational opportunities increase infinitely, and while I can't speak for every single hourly position (because I don't attend their meetings), it sounds like everyone at Karbach is going to be better taken care of from a pay standpoint, too.

So, I guess I would sum it up simply: Drink Karbach if you like the beer. If you didn't like it before, fine. But if you liked it and it continues to hold up to your standards, then please keep drinking it; there are about 160 local employees counting on it. If you're going solely on quality, I think you'll be drinking Karbach a long, long time.

By the way, I took off Saturday to go to my first Aggie game this year, so if anyone wants to come by and tailgate I'll be happy to answer any questions I'm able to.
Solid response. So if I'm reading correctly most people had no idea about the sale?
jh0400
AG
Quote:

But what's allowed me to make peace with all of it is that from a practical perspective, our beer is being made to the same specs, by the same people, in the same place, with total autonomy and greater resources than we will have had before.

I'm not familiar with M&A in the beer space, but from what I've seen in other industries I'd be very cautious here. It's easy to say "we're going to be hands off and let you do you," but at some point there will be a "you took my money, you play by my rules" moment.
First Page Last Page
Page 1065 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.