Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,645,556 Views | 62620 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Chipotlemonger
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Amazing beer.
AggieOO
Opened brew dogs cocoa psycho. Too much coffee for me, but I'm not a big coffee fan.
wessimo
AG
Drinking a Founders Breakfast Stout for Stout Day.

Sad about Karbach, but can't blame them for cashing in. They have done phenomenally well since starting up five years ago. There are still lots of locally owned breweries in Houston to choose from thankfully.
gordo97
AG
Drinking Hanmer of the Beast by Clown Shoes.... Not bad but not as good as some of their other barrel aged stuff
gordo97
AG
Connd said:

Wait.... Wouldn't all the metalheads at Brash appreciate a deal with the devil??!!
Scriffer
AG
Went to Ode brewing in El Paso and had The Squeege, an oyster stout, which is new to me.
DaveHimself
AG
Went with a Temptress for stout day. Love me some stouts but been hard to get into with this weather.
AggieOO
Ending with a temptress.

18%, 10%, and 9% for the night. I'm feeling great.
Represent830
AG
Drinking this after a regular BBH last night and clearing out the stash. Suck it you corporationy Corporatists!

Jason_Ag98
AG
Cuvee Delphine 2012 vintage for my Stout Day beer.

Jock 07
AG
Represent830 said:

Drinking this after a regular BBH last night and clearing out the stash. Suck it you corporationy Corporatists!

Stick it to the man by giving me any more of those that you have. I'll ensure they are disposed of properly.
AggieOO
I still have a bbh, bbhv, and bbhc. Waiting for the cherry to have a tasting/drunk night.
dixie whiskey
AG
between Rockwell closing and karbach ****ting all over everyone, it's been a tough few days. drowning my sorrows in a birthday bomb, preceeded by fbs, with maybe a xocoveza to follow because stout day doesn't end til i say it ends.

because I dont want to support inbev and their ****ery, I'll no longer be purchasing anything from karbach's regular or seasonal lineups after keeping my fridge stocked up with their stuff since the beginning. because im a horrible person I'll still pick up on the new bbh variants if the opportunity arises, but i wont go out of my way nor will I stock up on 10+ bottles as i did in the past as they lingered on shelves. probably just one of ea for my eventual side by side of them all. for the fun stuff, if there's one I just have to try, I'll probably just get a glass at a bar and never speak of it again.

I'll miss a few of their beers, but they certainly don't make anything in a can that something comparable or better cant be easily found. still, a sad day. luckily we have much better options in Houston today than we did when Karbach started, and even st Arnold's has become a much better brewery than they were 5 yrs ago imo. any truth to the rumor inbev offered SA and was turned down?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
In my opinion all this Karbach stuff comes down to whether or not you want to financially support an AB InBev property if you feel they are making efforts to quash or limit craft breweries. It's not really anger at Karbach for taking the money. It's just that now continuing to buy their product means putting money in InBev coffers and that is unpalatable to some.
62strat
AG
dixie whiskey said:

any truth to the rumor inbev offered SA and was turned down?

That sounds like a rumor that could be made up by St A for an easy opportunity for them to gain a lot more neckbeard fans.

St. A seems too stagnant for AB to care about.
AggieStout
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Amazing beer.
How do I get one of these, looks like a mighty fine beer. Going to have to keep my eyes open for it
62strat
AG
These guys started a distro comp in bryan in 80s to focus on craft beer, built it up and sold the TX operations to Ben E Keith in 2008. 2 years prior, in 2006, they expanded the same company to CO, which was allowed to remain separate, since it's not TX. From the 2008 sale, they had plenty capital to dream up a brewery, so Karbach was born in 2011ish. They just sold the CO distro company to Breakthru earlier in the year.

They sold the same company twice, and 3 total acquisitions in 9 years. That's impressive.

I wonder if these karbach guys left, and opened up another small brewery, a genuine one, there to stay. Sell out was simply for money. Those that won't buy karbach because the 'money goes to belgium', would you buy from this new brewery?

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'd probably buy from them but then again I'm probably not going to stop drinking Karbach unless it starts to suck.
62strat
AG
So.. any guesses to who's next???

Anheuser-Busch's Craft Beer Acquisition Map Prior to Karbach

Southeast seems the clear winner. Then maybe great lakes and North Carolina.

jh0400
AG
Quote:

I wonder if these karbach guys left, and opened up another small brewery, a genuine one, there to stay. Sell out was simply for money.

This is probably not an option, at least not for several years. I'm going to assume that the terms of the buyout included a strict noncompete that will prohibit these guys from opening another brewery.
AggieOO
Cigar City got their brewery approval for Texas.

Yesterday, everyone was up in arms about Karbach. Today, everyone is celebrating.

i know its not apples to apples, but still, lulz.
62strat
AG
jh0400 said:

Quote:

I wonder if these karbach guys left, and opened up another small brewery, a genuine one, there to stay. Sell out was simply for money.

This is probably not an option, at least not for several years. I'm going to assume that the terms of the buyout included a strict noncompete that will prohibit these guys from opening another brewery.
A noncompete won't last for ever.. just a few years, maybe 5. Very hypothetical question.
AggieStout
AG
Total wine Austin lake line has backwoods *******. No limits. Picked up two packs. Also have a good amount of karbach FUN series Trigave.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
What's that? Trigave? That was the *****
AggieStout
AG
Yeah stuff has been off the shelf for a while. So I was surprised to see a boat load of it.
AggieOO
AggieStout said:

Total wine Austin lake line has backwoods *******. No limits. Picked up two packs. Also have a good amount of karbach FUN series Trigave.

That backwoods has been there awhile. Picked some up last week.
Broncos
And SA isn't that great.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What's the end game for craft beer? When does the growth hit a peak, and does it happen due to outside influence from forces like AB, or hitting a demand apex?
La Fours
AG
Just left Sunrise Mini Mart. They had a bottle of taming the savage heart, so I grabbed it. Also grabbed a sizer of greenhouse and a sixer of community yessir pale ale.
maca1028
Just found out that I'm going to be training for a straight day position that I'll start in January, no more night shifts for the foreseeable future, kind of a big deal for us in the oil industry. I'll be cracking something good when I'm done with Dad duties.
Scriffer
AG
maca1028 said:

Just found out that I'm going to be training for a straight day position that I'll start in January, no more night shifts for the foreseeable future, kind of a big deal for us in the oil industry. I'll be cracking something good when I'm done with Dad duties.

Congrats!

I don't know how you O&G guys do it.
maca1028
I don't know either, it's been nice to be off in the middle of the week but the sleep schedule sucks.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Picked a couple up from a local store in Nashville...not sure what distribution they have. But I seem to remember seeing them in Dallas some last year.
reesei10
Anyone in the Austin area find (512)'s wild bear that was just released?
jah003
S
reesei10 said:

Anyone in the Austin area find (512)'s wild bear that was just released?

It's at the Total Wine off of Lakeline. At the customer service desk.
First Page Last Page
Page 1062 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.