Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,643,997 Views | 62617 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by swampstander
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not worried about Brash selling out...

Represent830
AG
Yeah I'll never fault someone for getting paid, but you can see what AB is doing and it sucks. If you can take care of multiple generations of your family, congrats.
BSD
AG

62strat
AG
Reading all the backlash on FB, this is what it reminds me of:

jh0400
AG
AgEng06 said:

AggieOO said:

62strat said:

That's how it works right, the craft beer knurds won't buy AB owned beer?
based on the reaction from the FB groups every time a brewery is bought, yes.
Except for BCBS, of course.

After waiting in line for an hour to buy an infected BCBCS, I'm ok with saying **** them too.
maca1028
AggieOO
i love ABW
byfLuger41
62strat
AG
Cue the Gin Blossoms.

All these others are lying through their teeth if they say they wouldn't sell out. It's so hypocritical.
BSD
AG
I think you're missing the point here, Strat. It's not all black and white. These guys championed themselves as craft brewers, marketed themselves as such, and then sold to the very people that lobby relentlessly to squash anything they, or countless other small brewers, work to achieve. Karbach owners certainly have a right to take the cash...hell, I know I would. But the other brewers and consumers out there have an equal right to be pissed.
NColoradoAG
IDGAF who you sell to. Ill buy your beer as long as its good. I hope everyone stays home for bourbon county this year.
Kyle98
AG
Who's going to MSU this weekend? I forgot, and I'm too lazy to scroll back through the thread. I'm still not sure where we're setting up, but we'll be out there early Saturday morning, and then for a while after the game.

Leaving early tomorrow to drive to Starkville from Denton County.
62strat
AG
BSD said:

I think you're missing the point here, Strat. It's not all black and white. These guys championed themselves as craft brewers, marketed themselves as such, and then sold to the very people that lobby relentlessly to squash anything they, or countless other small brewers, work to achieve. Karbach owners certainly have a right to take the cash...hell, I know I would. But the other brewers and consumers out there have an equal right to be pissed.

But.. they were craft brewers, were they not?

The craft brewer definition does not have a clause that states you will forever be a craft brewer and must deny a buyout from a non-craft brewer. So why is public pissed? Sure, they have every right to not buy the beer anymore, but in all honestly, they have no valid reason to be genuinely mad at Karbach, as they have done nothing that was dishonest.

If a story came out that budweiser was actually making the beer this entire time, and putting a karbach label on it and opening up a tasting room in Houston as a front and calling it craft, and it was all just a deceitful gimmick, then the public would have a reason to be 'pissed'.

Nothing even close to this has happened. So no, I don't think I'm missing the point at all. People are pissed because a small local brewery sold out and they want local local local, yet they probably 70% of the time bought that beer at Kroger or the like. (Maybe sometimes they bought it at specs, which I guess we can call local.)

BSD
AG
*sigh*

You didn't address a key component of my post...the lobbying by big beer to keep the little guy out of the market. So yeah, you completely missed the point.
NColoradoAG
BSD said:

*sigh*

You didn't address a key component of my post...the lobbying by big beer to keep the little guy out of the market. So yeah, you completely missed the point. Better luck next time.
The problem here is that the little and big craft brewers can't put aside their petty **** to form a coherent trade organization to combat the macro lobby.
Jock 07
AG
NColoradoAG said:

IDGAF who you sell to. Ill buy your beer as long as its good. I hope everyone stays home for bourbon county this year.
What's the consensus on how the pasteurization will affect the beer? Will it change the taste or simply just keep it from changing with age?
jetch17
AG
Hay merchant going scorched earth on all inventory
62strat
AG
BSD said:

*sigh*

You didn't address a key component of my post...the lobbying by big beer to keep the little guy out of the market. So yeah, you completely missed the point.
Who says that big beer wants to keep little guy out of the market? In essence, they are buying little guys, and exploding them into the market.

If they really wanted them out of the market (so bud light can reign again), they would buy them up and throw them out.

There's no way these execs are stupid enough to believe they can remove all 3500 little guys from the market and only have their beer on tap. Surely they are smarter than this. All they want to do is continue the cash flow, and bud and bud light isn't doing it.

Jock 07
AG
jetch17 said:

anybody wanna goandpickitupformebro on any of the FUN stuff, especially any residual vanilla BBH or roll in the hay which I haven't had yet
62strat
AG
This predates the Karbach sale by a few months... These two guys totally cashed in.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/19/left-hand-odd-13-craft-brew-distributor-c-r-goodman-sells-breakthru-beverage/
BSD
AG
Quote:

Who says that big beer wants to keep little guy out of the market?

Umm, the multitude of lobbyists they hire to keep small brewers from not being profitable are a good source of who says those things...
jetch17
AG
Looks like they've got legs of it all:

"The flash sale tap list:

- Available 3pm -
Weisse Versa
Hopadillo
RND Honey Jasmine Saison
5th Anniversary 22oz bottles (limited)
Rodeo Clown Cans

- Available 4pm -
2015 Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter w/Chocolate Cask
2015 Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter w/ Vanilla Cask

- Available 6pm (from the cellar) -
FUN Series 2012
5th Anniversary
Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter 2015
Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter with Vanilla
Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter 2014
FUN Series 2014
3 Legged Lab
Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter with Chocolate"

"All drafts are $1. All cans are $1.50, and all 22oz are $3. Feel free to take it home. 1/2 growlers are $3, and growlers are $6."
BSD
AG
those cask BBH's look interesting.
AggieOO
jetch17 said:

good thing i didn't post about this already.
jetch17
AG
AggieOO said:

jetch17 said:

good thing i didn't post about this already.

Shut your hoorish mouth, I've just gotten unbusy
AggieOO
jetch17 said:

Looks like they've got legs of it all:

"The flash sale tap list:

- Available 3pm -
Weisse Versa
Hopadillo
RND Honey Jasmine Saison
5th Anniversary 22oz bottles (limited)
Rodeo Clown Cans

- Available 4pm -
2015 Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter w/Chocolate Cask
2015 Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter w/ Vanilla Cask

- Available 6pm (from the cellar) -
FUN Series 2012
5th Anniversary
Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter 2015
Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter with Vanilla
Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter 2014
FUN Series 2014
3 Legged Lab
Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter with Chocolate"

"All drafts are $1. All cans are $1.50, and all 22oz are $3. Feel free to take it home. 1/2 growlers are $3, and growlers are $6."
someone gopickitupformebro!
NColoradoAG
62strat said:

This predates the Karbach sale by a few months... These two guys totally cashed in.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/19/left-hand-odd-13-craft-brew-distributor-c-r-goodman-sells-breakthru-beverage/

Technically that's just a distributor selling their distribution package to another distributor. It wasn't any brewery ownership changing hands.
62strat
AG
BSD said:

Quote:

Who says that big beer wants to keep little guy out of the market?

Umm, the multitude of lobbyists they hire to keep small brewers from not being profitable are a good source of who says those things...
And how many small breweries have they successfully kept from being profitable?

Hence my belief that this is a fallacy
62strat
AG
NColoradoAG said:

62strat said:

Technically that's just a distributor selling their distribution package to another distributor. It wasn't any brewery ownership changing hands.
It's the same two guys is what I meant.

They sold their distribution company, then they sold their brewery. Double pay day.
BSD
AG
So what you're saying big beer does nothing to keep the craft brewer down? ok, gotcha.
NColoradoAG
62strat said:

NColoradoAG said:

62strat said:

They sold their distribution company, then they sold their brewery. Double pay day.
What brewery did CR Goodman own and operate?
62strat
AG
BSD said:

So what you're saying big beer does nothing to keep the craft brewer down? ok, gotcha.

Have you not seen the growth of craft beer in the last 10 years? Let alone the last 2-3 years.

So yes I'm saying big beer has done a whole of nothing to keep it down. Their previous efforts have been quite fruitless, and I believe they have changed their strategies and focus altogether in the last few years.

62strat
AG
NColoradoAG said:

62strat said:

NColoradoAG said:

62strat said:

What brewery did CR Goodman own and operate?
Ken goodman and chuck roberston own cr goodman, they also own karbach.

Well, not anymore.
Post removed:
by user
BSD
AG
62strat said:

Have you not seen the growth of craft beer in the last 10 years? Let alone the last 2-3 years.
No, I guess I must have missed all that. I guess I've been away from this thread that whole time. And I must have missed me being involved in donating a ton of money and time to have beer laws changed in Texas because some force, who apparently wasn't big beer or their distributors, wanted to keep the competition out. Yep, I missed all that so I'm done here.
First Page Last Page
Page 1060 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.