Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,673,308 Views | 62639 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Quincey P. Morris
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's where I had the love child. A beer and two tacos for $34!!!! I was a little surprised.

Dicks. I thought they were open for lunch these days.
jetch17
AG
Thier hours say 11, he said they didn't open til 12. I mentioned to my old lady "let's go to BRC" and he got all pissy. The Big Mack was a worthy replacement to the Rancor I sought, though
BSD
AG
The Big Mack? We're you at McDowell's?

quote:
They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Look what I just picked up.

Supposed to be an Old Ale (never had the style).

jetch17
AG
After hearing several ppl already sample the DR12 I'm not jizzing to get my hands on it. Honestly, I've kinda given up on Saint A other than Endeavour
jetch17
AG
quote:
The Big Mack? We're you at McDowell's?

quote:
They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
After hearing several ppl already sample the DR12 I'm not jizzing to get my hands on it. Honestly, I've kinda given up on Saint A other than Endeavour

Honestly, I mostly agree with this. I havent had a St A beer in a while, and didnt even like the Endeavor that much. I still generally like their DRs though.
jetch17
AG
I'll grab a pint on draught around town, but I'm not traveling the city to find a sixer much less need 6 if it's sh*tty
aggiechris06
AG
Mbole...

How in the world did you get that?? Not supposed to be released till next week??
Pahdz
I really love the Boulevard Rye on Rye. Also enjoying Dogfather tonight.
aggiechris06
AG
Boulevard Rye on Rye!

Also making a recent and limited appearance in the Houston area is Laginitas's Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale...now thats GREAT stuff.
MADDUD
I'm having the *****ly Pear Shiner tonight. They are better than expected
MADDUD
Texags won't take the word *****ly?
MADDUD
LOL! *****!y
MADDUD
Haha! For the third time..... P&rickly
jetch17
AG
Prickly
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
quote:
Gordo, I enjoyed the love child #2. Just be careful when ordering that at a restaurant. The markup will leave you in sticker shock!

Saw the love child at BRC today, effin $30

We showed up to petrol about 11:30 and the guy was a dick saying they weren't open. Wish I coulda tried the jolly pumpkin collabo

F that. I was leery enough to pass on it at specs at $18 not knowing if it was good or piss. Seems like BRC used to be better on their bottle prices...who knows, maybe I'm dreaming. Petrol has jacked hours nowadays seems like. The definitely used to open at 11 on Saturday. I wanted a beer/lunch there recently on a Friday I was off and they didnt open until 2p.

[This message has been edited by Green fairy (edited 7/28/2012 10:36p).]
hbc07
AG
Prickly
NColoradoAG

Drinking Avery's new sour tonight. Very complex. Not picking up any bourbon barrel here, but its very good. One of the best in the series so far.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
I'm drinking Avery too ...

... but not nearly as complex a brew as yours above.
hbc07
AG
From the Oregon Brewer's Festival
Thursday:
Row 2, Hill 56 by Russian River Brewing Company
Rogue 23 by Rogue Ales
Positive Contact by Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Goliathon by Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom
Black Racer by Bear Republic Brewing Co.
Razberry Wheat by Cascade Brewing Company

Friday:
OBF Fusion by Lagunitas Brewing Company
Peach Trippel by Redhook Ale Brewery at Oregon
Rift Zone Red by Kona Brewing Company

Today:
Tropical Blonde by Vertigo Brewing
Mai Bock by Sprecher Brewing Company
Pineapple Express Collaborator by Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
White Light by Flat Tail Brewing
Positive Contact by Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Row 2, Hill 56 by Russian River Brewing Company
Olde GnarlyWine (2011) by Lagunitas Brewing Company
Beck Blossom by Cascade Brewing Company
Rose De Vallee by Golden Valley Brewery and Pub
Splendor in the Glass by The Prodigal Son Brewery
Elephante' Red Ale by Natian Brewery
Saison On The Beach by Lompoc Brewing
Pacemaker Porter by Flyers Brewery
Lavender Ale by Oregon Trail Brewery
Dyn-O-mite! by Gigantic Brewing
Pomegranate Wheat by Moylan's Brewery
St. Lupulin by Odell Brewing Co.
Barley Bock by Upright Brewing Company

All in all it was good. Tomorrow I get to pour. Maybe have a little more after.
La Fours
AG
Wtf is this Shiner Prickly stuff? I've seen plenty of posts about it but I have not seen it here in CS.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
Mbole...

How in the world did you get that?? Not supposed to be released till next week??

I'm on the mailing list for my little beer shop. They didn't have it out on display anywhere but I asked the clerk and he went in the back and got me some. Thinking about going to pick some more up today for some friends.
62strat
AG
dogfish head tap take over was great!

there's the menu.

I had two flights (went twice that day, first with uncle, then later with uncle/aunt and my wife)

my first flight;
sah tea, tweason, saison da buff, midas touch, my antonia.
I then got a glass of burton baton.

My fav. by far was the saison da buff. It's unusually hoppy. The tweason was bad, it's gluten free.. stay away. of course the burton is great as well, and I could see myself buying the my antonia, an imperial lager.

second flight was:
festina peche, aprihop, red and white, namaste and ta henket. Those were all great as well.

Then I had a sip from my uncles choices, the 120 min, the noble rot (tastes very much like wine), and the paulo santo.

So all in all, I tried them all except for 90 min, which i've had several times before.

the flight

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 7/29/2012 12:05p).]
AggieChemist
AG
I imbibed a bit more than usual last night. We cooked some weenies outside over the fire and made smores.

While sitting by the fire, I had

1) Harpoon Leviathan IPA
2) Great Lakes Nosferatu Imperial Red
3) Stone Ruination IPA (22 oz)
4) finished off with a yuengling lager because my palate and my sobriety were pretty well gone at that point.
ATL Aggie
AG
I just discovered this and highly recommend it.

Vernada
AG
Just got the email about DR12.

That sounds like a PITA beer.

Need to store for a year?
Special pouring instructions?
Decanting recommended?

Sheesh. I just want to drink a beer.

quote:
DR12 is an old ale and was inspired by David Rogers' winning entry in the 2011 Big Batch Brew Bash. There are two definitions of Old Ales. The first is an ale in the old style, which refers to an ale bigger than regular ales. This was the more common definition up to 15 years ago. Our Christmas Ale is an example of this style. The newer definition is a very high alcohol ale that has been aged. This is what DR12 is, except that you have to supply the aging. We did condition DR12 in the fermenters for over 2 months.

DR12 is a very big ale with the high alcohol (10%) creating a spicy malt and hop flavor. Aging will allow the alcohol to oxidize and create sherry flavors that will round out the beer. It will age best if stored cold. This beer will come into its own in a year and should be drinking great 5 years from now.

When pouring this beer, we highly recommend decanting it, pouring it slowly and smoothly and leaving the last ounce or so in the bottle. You can pour this into a separate glass if you wish, but you will find that the decanted portion tastes brighter and cleaner. The nose has rich malt notes and a little alcohol that combines with a spicy hop note to create a complex bouquet. The taste has a spicy, malty beginning that smoothes out into a creamy middle and a warming finish. Also, make sure to let this beer warm up before your drink it. It is best enjoyed at around 50° F.

While most of DR12 was packaged in 6 packs, for the first time there will also be a small amount available in 22 oz bottles.

[This message has been edited by ada8356 (edited 7/30/2012 1:07p).]
AggieChemist
AG
Jack, Bell's 2 hearted ale is a nice pale ale.

The benefit of drinking it is that you can capture and reculture the yeast they used to ferment it and then brew with it.

The only way to get Bell's flavor is to use their house yeast. It throws some funny flavors that you just can't replicate.

I've captured Bell's yeast and have a glycerol stock in my -80 freezer. I've brewed Kalamazoo Stout and 2 Hearted Ale clones that were nails.
62strat
AG
ada.. glass type, serving temp, aging guidelines.. these are not new discoveries, and are not uncommon to follow especially for old ales/belgians.. the like.

St. A is likely putting this info in there, because 50% of their drinkers probably don't know crap about beer.
Vernada
AG
well put me in that category. I'm not buying a beer so I can store it for a year. I'm buying beer to drink... most likely within a few days of purchase.
62strat
AG
there's no rule that says you can't drink a big beer like that right away. Some people like to have them at different times; right away, then maybe 6 month intervals, to see how they change.

Some people like to shotgun natty light.. it's all personal preference. Do what you wish. I had some DR 8s and 9s two years after release date, and I know a guy who still has some of the first couple DRs.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Yeah. I'll probably drink 1 or 2 now, 1 or 2 in a year and if I can hold onto them, 1 or 2 in a few years.
AggieOO
quote:
I'm not buying a beer so I can store it for a year.

i have a closet full of beer i'm aging.
army01
AG
Me too. My wife couldn't figure out why I wouldn't let her put it in the storage unit.
jetch17
AG
the Houston Saint A boners are in a frenzy for divine day today. I called Bunker HEB and set aside 2 bombers for sh*ts & grins since im headed over there for lunch today anyway.

better than standing in line, especially seeing as how i dont really care.
First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.