Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,674,289 Views | 62645 Replies | Last: 35 min ago by FancyKetchup14
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the best plan for going to Franklins? What time should I try to get there on a Friday to have a good chance at getting brisket, beef rib and sausage? Is 8am early enough? Or should we get there earlier?
AggieStout
AG
8am should be fine for Franklin's. That is about the time I have gotten there on a Saturday and still got everything i wanted.
NColoradoAG
Jock 07 said:

Question for Jetch, or anyone else familiar with KC. Trying to head down there this weekend if the exercise ends on time and looking for beer, BBQ, and any other suggestions. Never been.
Joes, BB's Lawnside, and Jack Stack have been my favorite BBQ places. Haven't been out there in about 3 years though.

The Boulevard tour is worthwhile.
jah003
S
La Fours said:

What's the best plan for going to Franklins? What time should I try to get there on a Friday to have a good chance at getting brisket, beef rib and sausage? Is 8am early enough? Or should we get there earlier?

8 am is typically a good time. I usually get there around 7:30. There seems to be mad rush between 8 and 8:30. I just prefer to avoid it.

Pro tip: bring folding chairs and a table if you got it.
chet98
AG
Anyone tried Shiner Homespun? I typically try most of their new / seasonal beers but lately only buy once....
La Fours
AG
We will be coming from Georgetown/Round Rock. So that's probably a 30 minute drive. So if we get there at 8:30/8:45 would we be ok?
Hugo Stiglitzz
NColoradoAG said:

Jock 07 said:

Question for Jetch, or anyone else familiar with KC. Trying to head down there this weekend if the exercise ends on time and looking for beer, BBQ, and any other suggestions. Never been.
Joes, BB's Lawnside, and Jack Stack have been my favorite BBQ places. Haven't been out there in about 3 years though.

Arthur Bryant's for BBQ
NColoradoAG
Hugo Stiglitzz said:

NColoradoAG said:

Jock 07 said:

Arthur Bryant's for BBQ
I think Arthur Bryant's is way overrated. It has a lot of history and is a KC institution, but there are better places when you look at just the food.
jah003
S
La Fours said:

We will be coming from Georgetown/Round Rock. So that's probably a 30 minute drive. So if we get there at 8:30/8:45 would we be ok?

Could be dicey if you want moist brisket (and why the hell else would you be going)... If you roll up and you're too late just go down the road to Micklethwait.
jh0400
AG
You could just take a page out of BSD's book and buy a whole brisket to go.
La Fours
AG
Yeah but I want the experience. But now it's looking like my friends won't be able to join me. One of them maybe. The other is for sure not able to.
reesei10
Does anyone know the relationship between Adelbert's Brewery, Oddwood ales, and Rusty Barrel Brewing here in Austin? They seem to be connected but it is hard to find much information on Oddwood and Rusty Barrel since they are so new. Their websites have very little.
http://www.oddwoodales.com/
http://www.rustybarrelbrewing.com/
http://adelbertsbeer.com/
turfman80
AG
If you love fruity hop beers, seek this one out. HEB College Station has it in...bottled on 10/17/16. This is one excellent pale ale.

Hudson2508
AG
Oddwood brewer started at Adelberts and is opening his own brewery on the east side. Think it's almost open. Rusty Barrell guy was also a brewer there and now moved out of Austin but had that Rusty beer in barrels at Adelberts. Saw him at Sunrise one day and he told me the story. Oddwood is awesome and looking forward to it opening.
reesei10
Hudson2508 said:

Oddwood brewer started at Adelberts and is opening his own brewery on the east side. Think it's almost open. Rusty Barrell guy was also a brewer there and now moved out of Austin but had that Rusty beer in barrels at Adelberts. Saw him at Sunrise one day and he told me the story. Oddwood is awesome and looking forward to it opening.
Thanks for the info. I thought someone on here would know.
jah003
S
Hudson2508 said:

Can't freaking wait until Oddwood gets up and running. Taming the Savage Heart rivals what JK is putting out. Hoping they keep pumping out delicious stuff so I can get quality sours without the JK whalezbro hype...
Scriffer
AG
Last day of work today. New job starts Monday

dave99ag
AG
Scriffer said:

Last day of work today.
I can't wait for this day.
maca1028
dave99ag said:

Scriffer said:

Last day of work today.

At least 19 more years.
AgEng06
AG
Agreed. Taming the Savage Heart was very good.
dave99ag
AG
maca1028 said:

dave99ag said:

Scriffer said:

Last day of work today.

At least 19 more years.
I'm eligible in about 14, but this little dude crawling around on the floor laughs at me.
Hudson2508
AG
Still have a few in the cellar, need to crack them soon.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nice
jah003
S
If you're in Austin and haven't hit up Austin Beerworks yet, this is the weekend to get out there. Last weekend they'll be doing their current pour system ($10 for 3 pours and a glass). Moving to a pay by the glass system. IMO the current system is the best deal in Austin.
BSD
AG
I just signed the paperwork to sell 30% of my last decade-plus of work. I should be happy but I'm not since it wasn't entirely my choice. I'll probably open up something this weekend to reward myself but I'm too damn tired/stressed right now to worry about it.

Edit: oh, and 19 years to go.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hope it's a good one, BSD.
Two Down
AG
Headed to Newport Beach for work, wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for bottle shops or places to grab a beer and some grub while I'm there. Going to be staying in Fashion Island. Might try to make it to Bruery / Mr Ks if I feel like heading up north a bit.

(Searched and something similar had been asked but it was several years and not too many serious responses. My bad if I've missed something though).
Bmac04
AG
turfman80 said:

If you love fruity hop beers, seek this one out. HEB College Station has it in...bottled on 10/17/16. This is one excellent pale ale.

I love this beer
maca1028

Looks good
AgEng06
AG
Love the name/reference, although I can't read it without a British accent.
jh0400
AG
Don't lose sight of the plan.

AggieOO
jah003 said:

If you're in Austin and haven't hit up Austin Beerworks yet, this is the weekend to get out there. Last weekend they'll be doing their current pour system ($10 for 3 pours and a glass). Moving to a pay by the glass system. IMO the current system is the best deal in Austin.
i was bummed to see them change it, but surprised it took this long.

that said, ABW will likely be a **** show this weekend. Its also their "oktoberfest" thing.
BSD
AG
jh0400 said:

haha. Awesome. I'll be sending that one around the office today. Unfortunately, it's time to start-up again, which will be a lot of work.
62strat
AG
I hit up first draft in denver yesterday, it's a pour your own and pay by the ounce concept.

40 beers on tap. You give host your cc and id and she gives you hotel door key type card that you use to activate the taps.

Pretty sure I saw Jon Taffer install it on one of the bar rescues. Great concept. But pricey (maybe I'm not privy to downtown prices) Cheapest beer (about half the taps) is $.50/oz. I don't know if I'm ready for $8 pints, but maybe it's higher due to concept. Suburbs are still $5 pints. Most of the others were between $.60 and $1.00, but I got me some Temptation. Only $1.50 an ounce!
Bmac04
AG
Just in time for the weekend

First Page Last Page
Page 1055 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.