Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,569,100 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by La Fours
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kona and Alaskan both offer cans.
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
It's camping time and I need to find some good beer in cans that works for summer. I can shop in B/CS, Austin, San Marcos, down to SA.

I would like some interesting, good beer meaning not just a brewery's "blonde" offering. Is Karbach cans available outside of Houston?

I would rather NOT settle for Southern Star, Shiner Bock, Dales, Fireman's. A Belgian would be nice but in a can is highly unlikely.

I don't care for Shift but would could go for something else from New Belgium if it is canned. I supposed Modus might be a good idea.

New Belgium tall boys (FT and ranger ipa) are $4.99 at specs right now. Brooklyn summer ale comes in cans and is a good brew. Real Ale devils backbone (trippel) comes in a six pack but bottles only.

Harpoon summer ale comes in cans too but I haven't tried it.
Southern Star Walloon would be a good one, and is a solid summer brew.(even though you are opposed to SS).

[This message has been edited by Green fairy (edited 7/21/2012 5:13p).]

[This message has been edited by Green fairy (edited 7/21/2012 5:19p).]
Green Fairy
AG
Pretty sure me and Agmechanic just met streetfighter12.... Any of youh other fools here?

Nice to sample DR 12 prior to the release. That old ale style is a heavy beyotch....not sure I could handle a bottle of it much a sixer.

[This message has been edited by Green fairy (edited 7/21/2012 9:34p).]
defroach
For cans in Austin:

Karbach is not up here

Austin Beerworks and Hops & Grains are both canned only for locals at specs
streetfighter2012
AG
It was nice meeting you two. Sampling the DR 12 was a very pleasant surprise. It tasted pretty good, but I'm thinking most of what I pick up will be stored for the winter. It didn't seem right to be sitting in a lawn chair drinking it.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
defroach, regarding Hops & Grains cans.

Will I only find their alt-beer and pale ale in cans or will I also find some of that experimental stuff?

Harvey Washbangers had some of the Austin Beerworks cans up here but I never tried any. Is their product good? Anything special?
army01
AG
quote:
Harvey Washbangers had some of the Austin Beerworks cans up here but I never tried any. Is their product good? Anything special?

I've only tried "Peacemaker" and gave it a meh. Not bad. Not good. It's just kind of there....
defroach
H&Gs...I haven't looked recently at their cans (I haven't been to specs or an HEB that sells them). Before, it was just their standards...I do agree their specialty stuff is where it's at.

Austin Beerworks - Peacemaker is meh...fire eagle (the IPA) is good. Pearl snap I skip over as it's not my style. I do know a lot of people that swear by peace maker though...
whiskey in the jar
Hops & Grains only has the 2 cans, however both are really good IMO. I have only had a couple Austin beer works and both were "meh" IMO
BSD
AG
Had an impromptu beer tasting tonight at the house :

Stone Ruination 10th anniversary IPA
Knee Deep Breweing Hoptologist IPA 
Firestone Walker union jack IPA
Mikkeller Green Gold IPA
Milkkeller Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA (not pictured)
RRBC/Sierra Nevade Brux wild ale
RRBC Sanctification Sour Blonde
RRBC Supplication Sour
Fire Mountain btw House Bogart Northwest IPA
Midnight Sun Mayhem Belgian IPA

BSD
AG
Also...August 4th is national IPA day and Hay Merchant will be tapping their DFH 120
IPA at 11:00am.
NColoradoAG
BSD, I had hoptologist at a recent tasting. I thought it was alright. I did really enjoy Knee Deeps Simtra if you can get a hold of some of that. I'd also recommend landing some Dorado from Ballast Point.

I'm drinking one of my Hill Farmstead Double Citra growlers tonight. Each on of these Hill Farmstead beers is better than the last one I had. Simply phenomenal pale ales.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 7/22/2012 10:09p).]
Jock 07
AG
Celebrating my getting orders to Colorado Springs tonight with one of these

And one of these
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Also...August 4th is national IPA day and Hay Merchant will be tapping their DFH 120
IPA at 11:00am.

**** I'm gonna be up in ft worth. That **** won't make it til Sunday will it?
defroach
It probably wont make it to 4 PM
OleDublinBobcat
quote:
Celebrating my getting orders to Colorado Springs tonight with one of these

Congratulations! What are you going to be doing up there?
duck79
AG
Aggie00

Alaskan is not in cans, at least not in Texas.

UFO white is in cans now and Dallas releases the firemans 4 cans next week(been out in Austin for about a month).

Avery Joes Pils is a good can beer for outside as well.
jetch17
AG
Downing some Longboard tonight, wishin I was back in Hawaii

jetch17
AG
Obligatory 'too many Kona brews' palm tree wang from a few years ago

jah003
S
Continuing with the Lager theme... tonights beer:

Staples Mill Lager of Divine Destruction

I picked this up during my recent trip to Minnesota... mainly because of the hand numbering and the limited release. Turns out this is a pretty "up and coming" brewery so that 1000 bottles might have been all the were gonna make anyways.

Its certainly got a lot of flavor for a lager... just not necessarily the flavors I'm wanting. Bottle says it's brewed with currents and white oak (maybe that's my weird flavor). Overall... a weird beer, but not in a good way. Based on what i'm seeing about the brewery on BA, they may not be around much longer.
AggieOO
quote:
Alaskan is not in cans, at least not in Texas.

i guess i'm crazy. swore i saw it in cans, but the last few trips i've not seen it. you are correct.
62strat
AG
pretty sure i saw alaskan in cans up here in denver.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 7/25/2012 1:10p).]
La Fours
AG
I have a friend driving up to Madison, Wisconsin tomorrow, what beers should I request? I've already requested some New Glarus. Anything else from that part of the world I should ask for?

What New Glarus beers should I ask her to try and pick up?
jah003
S
quote:
I have a friend driving up to Madison, Wisconsin tomorrow, what beers should I request? I've already requested some New Glarus. Anything else from that part of the world I should ask for?

What New Glarus beers should I ask her to try and pick up?

New Glarus Beers: Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, Raspberry Tart, Belgian Red, Moon Man Wheat, and anything "Unplugged" that she can find.

As far as other Wisconsin breweries: Capital makes some pretty good stuff, as does Ale Asylum.
La Fours
AG
I have already mentioned Spotted Cow, Belgium Red, and Raspberry Tart, as well as the IIPA. But I don't know that IIPA will be available this time of year.
NColoradoAG
I'd gamble on getting a fresh Dreadnaught from Three Floyd's. Their Alpha King and Gumbalhead should be available too. Anything from Founders as well. Frangelic Mountain Brown, a hazelnut coffee brown, is their special out right now and its pretty good. I'd send him to the best mix six place around him and have him fill one each from Founders and Three Floyd's. Central Waters also makes some great stuff. Tyranena also makes some good stuff. Their Dirty Old Man Imperial Porter is pretty good. Great Lakes Brewing Lake Erie Monster might be available up there. Dark Horse makes some interesting beers as well.
La Fours
AG
Three Floyd's is in Wisconsin?
BSD
AG
quote:
Three Floyd's is in Wisconsin?

It's on the way! And don't forget Zombie Dust. Cases and cases of Zombie Dust.
BSD
AG
quote:
Obligatory 'too many Kona brews' palm tree wang from a few years ago

Gotta be careful not to bust a (coco)nut on someone's head when pulling that move.
jetch17
jetch17
AG
Don't forget, Kona brewery tour + growlers & brewpub = volcano poots

IBombedTheMoon
AG
Am I the only one drinking a home brew tonight?
AggieOO
i had one homebrew last night b/c i couldn't sleep.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Had a glass of my IPA last night. I feel the keg getting very light and makes me sad to see it go but happy to brew my next beer.
La Fours
AG
I just checked 3 Floyd's website and they do distribute to Madison, WI!!!!
First Page Last Page
Page 104 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.