Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,618,102 Views | 62596 Replies | Last: 59 min ago by Objective Aggie
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Hay Merchant will be tapping a DFH 120 keg this month, they say to stay tuned for when

Petrol has a bottle share Saturday.

I'm down for some 120. Had 2 bottles last month but could always drink more.

As far as Petrol on Saturday...11:00 sounds real early for a post-Toadies drink. But a Rancor might hit the spot. We'll see how the day progresses.
62strat
AG
damn how much is that gonna cost? and what size pour? over/under $10 for 6 oz?

specs has 1/5 bbl keg for $225, putting cost a 10 oz glass at almost $3.50
jetch17
AG
quote:
Dogfish Head Days of Summer: 120 Info

As made up holidays go I think that National IPA Day is my Favorite. It just so happened that IPA Day is during the Dog Days Of Summer. So it only seams fitting to tap a keg of DFH 120. This is 1 of 2 kegs HM got this year, I think it will be about 6 months old when we tap it. Stay tuned for more details.

quote:
Dogfish Head Days of Summer

We in Houston know all about the Dog Days of Summer. The term refers to the hottest part of the summer, in Houston it’s usually the end of July thru August. The Roman’s called it diçs caniculârçs and associated it with the appearance of the “Dog Star” Sirius. It was their tradition to sacrifice a brown dog to appease Sirius. Here at Hay Merchant we are dog lovers so you won’t be seeing us sacrifice any dogs but we will honor the arrival of the hottest part of the summer by tapping a variety of Dogfish Head specialty kegs we are calling it the Dogfish Head Days of summer. Stay tuned for details but look for kegs of Raison d'etre, Black and Blue, Namaste and the big doggy himself 120 min IPA to be tapped through out the Dog Days of Summer.

jetch17
AG
Petrol won the "Most Bitter Bar in America" contest again this year.

they alluded that Greg Koch will be paying a visit soon, too.
AggieOO
i wish i liked IPAs. There always seem to be cool events and releases. However, I don't like my beer to taste like pine needles and grass clippings.
defroach
It will happen. Trust me, one day you will try one IPA and you will think...damn this thing is good.

I used to hate IPAs, but I came around at some point and that is my main go to beer...
62strat
AG
quote:
However, I don't like my beer to taste like pine needles and grass clippings.

Damn you got me thirsty now! maybe i'll go home for lunch and indulge. Have a lone mojo risin in the fridge waiting to be had.
AggieOO
i've been drinking beer for a long time. i brew my own. i've never found a liking for IPAs. there are some i can tolerate, and I'll gladly drink if purchased for me, but I never spend my own money on them.
62strat
AG
Once I switched to craft brews, I tried and disliked ipas for about 2 years, then all of a sudden one day, my palate changed, and I loved them. ~6 years later now, I still love them, but def. consume more of a variety of styles compared to my bitter streak.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
I used to hate IPAs, but I came around at some point and that is my main go to beer...

Same here.
AggieOO
been drinking craft beers for a number of years, nothing has changed. my gf loves IPAs, so there's no shortage of them around. I try them when she has one just to say I've tried stuff, but still don't particularly enjoy them.
62strat
AG
even if you don't like it, it's always good to just try one once a year or whatever.. never know when your tastes will change. Hell I didn't like onions until I was in my 20s.

And, any style you don't like, def. don't discount it until you've tried with some food (preferably some food that pairs well with the style). Food with beer changes everything.
defroach
quote:
Food with beer changes everything.

Except for ****ty lite beer. Even food will not change it's ****tiness
Marooned_n_Aggieland
IPA is a pretty broad category nowadays. I don't care much for the weak ones (cross over IPAs - Homefront, Avery, Anderson Valley), love the medium bite ones and imperials that keep the bitterness in check (Elissa, Stone, 60 Minute, Belgians, Dogfish 90, etc), and still turn my back on the super bitter ones (Stash, Moylans, etc)
62strat
AG
quote:
Except for ****ty lite beer.

Those beers can actually be used to rinse your glass out in between samples.
AggieOO
quote:
And, any style you don't like, def. don't discount it until you've tried with some food (preferably some food that pairs well with the style). Food with beer changes everything.

i will reiterate...i've been drinking beer, and craft beer, for quite a while. I understand food pairings, styles, and I understand palate changes.

i'm always open to trying pretty much any beer. I'm just not going to buy a growler or spend $15 on a bomber for an IPA. But I'll definitely give them a taste.
62strat
AG
well i didn't mean go spend $15 to try it hah. have a sip of a friends, taster at a bar from draft, or try a single from someone's six pack, that's all i meant.
62strat
AG
ahh my first real haul since I've been in CO. Got tired of having 6 or less beers in my fridge. I got my escrow refund from our TX house, so I said why the f not. I came in just under my off the top of my head budget of $100. I literally grabbed all this from a 5' area. It took about 2 minutes.

L to R, bottom first
Great divide, mix pack with 3 ea. of
Hades belgian ale
Titan IPA
Samurai Rice Ale
Claymore Scotch ale

Del norte amber lager.

12 pack of dales pale (probably my new goto beer.)

mix pack of Ska, 4 ea. of
ESB ale
Hopus Monderandi
True Blonde

All those are from CO.

now across the top, l to r, 1 mix pack:
Anderson valley Summer Solstice
Sam adamas Derf's Secret Alt (9.3%!)
Steamworks Colorado Kolsch
Avery Joe's American Lager
Great Divide Rye Lager
Bristol Yellow Kite Summer Pils

Two singles from Brasserie Dieu Du Cieli, Canada
Solstice d'hiver, barley wine @ 10.2%
Equinoxe du printemps, scotch ale with maple syrup @ 9.5%

and showing off front and center, Dogfish Head Urkontinent, ale brewed with wattle seed, amaranth rooibos, myrica gale, and honey. Sounds like a gateway beer doesn't it

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 7/20/2012 7:02p).]
AggieOO
Oh, I have no problem trying/tasting. Like I said, the gf loves ipas.
Pahdz
Anyone here like the Laughing Dog beers? Really love the Dogzilla Black IPA
army01
AG
Tonight's berra....

Damn!
BSD
AG
I had the Uncle Jacobs at Petrol a few weeks ago. Good stuff! I need to find it in a store soon.

On a side note, I have it on good authority that Jetch was drinking Miller Lite tonight. Oh how the mighty have fallen...
army01
AG
Really pissed I didn't pick up a few more...
jetch17
AG
quote:

On a side note, I have it on good authority that Jetch was drinking Miller Lite tonight. Oh how the mighty have fallen...

But no hangover today!
BSD
AG
Must be nice. I probably drank a bottle of Johnny Walker over the course of the night and it is taking its toll on me now.
army01
AG
Fuuuuuuuuuuug. Didn't realize Jacob's was 17%. Feeling it this morning.
defroach
I had one 512 IPA last night...feels good to be up and no regrets
streetfighter2012
AG
St Arnold's tour and then the City Acre movie tonight. Today is shaping up to be a solid day
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
St Arnold's tour and then the City Acre movie tonight. Today is shaping up to be a solid day

Karbach / City Acre for me today.
jah003
S
quote:
ahh my first real haul since I've been in CO. Got tired of having 6 or less beers in my fridge. I got my escrow refund from our TX house, so I said why the f not. I came in just under my off the top of my head budget of $100. I literally grabbed all this from a 5' area. It took about 2 minutes.

Wow! Nice haul! I love me some Colorado beers.
AggieOO
It's brew day!
army01
AG
What are you brewing?

I think Uncle Jacob's has inspired me to do a BBA stout next, but it will have to wait until the winter when I can get everything out of storage.
Green Fairy
AG
M-fer....Kristin-to-go siting at Karbach just now w/ bambino. Baby does not have horse face syndrome thank Allah.
AggieOO
Doing a rosemary wheat. Sounds a little weird, but i couldn't keep people's hands off of it on the first experimental batch.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's camping time and I need to find some good beer in cans that works for summer. I can shop in B/CS, Austin, San Marcos, down to SA.

I would like some interesting, good beer meaning not just a brewery's "blonde" offering. Is Karbach cans available outside of Houston?

I would rather NOT settle for Southern Star, Shiner Bock, Dales, Fireman's. A Belgian would be nice but in a can is highly unlikely.

I don't care for Shift but would could go for something else from New Belgium if it is canned. I supposed Modus might be a good idea.
First Page Last Page
Page 103 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.