Question about Corps Boots from a class of '41 Aggie who died in WW II

2,196 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BoerneGator
Gomer95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will post this in a few forums besides this one but I have a friend with no ties to A&M who bought some Corps Boots about 10 years ago at an Estate Sale and had them cleaned and oiled and he was looking to sell them. He asked me about how to do that best since I was an Aggie and even though he has no ties to A&M, he knows how much Aggies would love these. Well, after investigating the name "John G. Ellzey" in the boots, I discovered that John Green Ellzey was Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '41 and according to the Association of Former Students, John Ellzey '41 died in August of 1944 as a result of wounds received in the Normandy Invasion. That information really moved both me and the person wanting to sell them. So I have a few questions:

Does anyone know if there are any of John Ellzey's family that might would want them?
Would the Corps Center be interested in them?

If anyone reading this is interested in buying them, PM me and I will give you my friend's name and email address. He is hoping to get some money from them not because of greed but at this time he could use the money although we just want to see where all this goes because he had no idea of the story behind these boots until now. I've attached pics of the boots and name and please let me know suggestions on what to do with them or if anyone wants to purchase them and of course Private Message me for any questions or more info. Thanks Ags.

CanyonAg77
AG
Unusual last name. There are some people with that name on the AFS "Find an Aggie" site with that name. Can you try to contact them?
army79
I suggest that you call Dennis Davenport at the Corps of Cadet Association office. He has located a relative of Mr. Ellzey that is interested in the boots.

CCA office # 877/892-4222

Gig 'em!
Gomer95
AG
I will thank you!
Gomer95
AG
UPDATE ON THE CORPS BOOTS!!!!!!!

We tried as a first option to see if any family members wanted them but that option fell through so an Aggie that had seen this here on Texags ended up buying them from my friend and I believe he is going to take them back to Holick's and explain the history behind them and they will in some form or fashion end up BACK at the university, either on a new cadet that knows and understands the history or the university itself.

I had no idea when I looked up Mr. Elzey's info that it would turn into what it was but it has been so much fun personally for me to find out his Aggie history, his WWII history, the highest sacrifice that he made for ALL of us, and that the Aggie Legacy of his boots that I know he must have valued very highly will live on through whatever Texas A&M University destination they end up at.

Thanks to all of you for your help, insights, and comments and Gig 'Em!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
BoerneGator
AG
Happy ending story. The fact these boots have been re-soled leads me to believe they had been worn by someone else after the original owner… "if boots could talk, oh what a tale they could tell…!"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.