1950-51 Ellington Field

1,501 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
ta ta toothy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am not sure if what I'm asking is even possible. Is there a way to find the names of men enlisted in the Air Corp based out of Ellington Field around 1950-51?

The backstory is my MIL recently opened her sealed adoption records and found that the only description of her dad was "graduate of Oklahoma A&M and was a Lieutenant in the Air Corp stationed at Ellington Field" per court records.
JABQ04
AG
So he was a Lieutenant at Ellington in 1950 and 1951? If you're comfortable with emailing me a name I can look up some stuff. Having a name would make things easier. Username@gmail.

Or you can get a free trial to Fold3 (which is exactly what I'm going to use) and look for yourself if that makes you comfortable as well.
ta ta toothy
AG
I assume he was based upon the court records. Unfortunately I don't have a name. What I included in quotes was the extent of the court records regarding him. I don't know how feasible this route is but I considered names that I could cross reference through ancestry.com or Oklahoma A&M archives and go from there. Quite a task I'm trying to undertake. Lol
JABQ04
AG
Wow. Good luck. Very tedious and time consuming but certainly possible.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Not too many LTS. from Okla. A&M were at Ellington Field then . Should be easy!
Follow the AF grads in the yearbooks from there - check AF pictures of grads at Ellington.

Friend from our A&M was there at that time - flunked out of Navigation school
when he reported his plane
was over the Gulf instead of West Texas !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
ta ta toothy
AG
Thanks
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
tata, quick search "1951 AFROTC at Oklahoma A&M" brought up a picture of about 40 cadets.
Probably 1/4 were seniors. Possibly, only 1 or 2 went to Navigation school. Picture was fuzzy
but with names.
You've probably already looked at these sources but just in case:

50 or 51 Yearbook Okla. A&M Ebay or maybe the library might do a search for you.
Military Science Department at Okla. A&M
Former students Directory
Ellington Field archives. Most AF schools did a picture of grads.
My interest other than I feel for your MIL is that i got out in 50 with a commission in the AF
but didn't get called up until 53 - my friend got out in 51 and got called up that summer.
The Korean War was on and they needed pilots and navigators.
Also, I went to school with kids from The Childrens Home and The Girls Settlement Home for
orphans or kids from destitute families - always felt sympathy for them.

Let us know how your search is going. Good luck!

BigJim49AustinnowDallas
ta ta toothy
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

tata, quick search "1951 AFROTC at Oklahoma A&M" brought up a picture of about 40 cadets.
Probably 1/4 were seniors. Possibly, only 1 or 2 went to Navigation school. Picture was fuzzy
but with names.
You've probably already looked at these sources but just in case:

50 or 51 Yearbook Okla. A&M Ebay or maybe the library might do a search for you.
Military Science Department at Okla. A&M
Former students Directory
Ellington Field archives. Most AF schools did a picture of grads.
My interest other than I feel for your MIL is that i got out in 50 with a commission in the AF
but didn't get called up until 53 - my friend got out in 51 and got called up that summer.
The Korean War was on and they needed pilots and navigators.
Also, I went to school with kids from The Childrens Home and The Girls Settlement Home for
orphans or kids from destitute families - always felt sympathy for them.

Let us know how your search is going. Good luck!

Thanks! That's a huge lead for us. We have come up with some other leads as well. Recently reached out to a "hit" on 23 and me that we are pretty sure are related through the birth father's side. They've read the message but they have not responded yet. Hopefully they will. She's connected with her half brother in the last 48 hrs. That's been a whirlwind for both but mainly him bc it was absolutely unexpected.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.