Family Military History Look Up

1,333 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CT'97
T dizl televizl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey guys

My grandfather recently passed away at the ripe age of 98. He was a WW2 vet that hardly ever talked about his service. At his funeral they talked a little bit about his service. He was in the 14th armored division and fought at the battle of the bulge.

Was trying to do some digging around on the internet to see what kind of things I could find. Always amazes me to see the young faces of our soldiers that had to answer the call and risk their lives.

I had trouble finding info and was hoping you all could point me in the direction of some good sites or books that might help me out. Figured it might just be a function of time and lack of internet back then but also thought y'all could have some good resources.

Thanks for any help!
USAFAg
AG
Not clear what you want help with? Battle of the Bulge? Ancestory research? 14th Armored?

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
JABQ04
AG
Try Fold3. It's a pay site and associated with ancestry.com but tons of great info on it. (Enlistment papers, census reports, unit histories, possible individual awards/paperwork)
T dizl televizl
AG
I think Fold3 might be close to what I'm looking for.

Guess I was just looking for ways to research his history or unit.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to anything military, but I'd imagine that the more focused towards the individual you get, the harder it would be to find info.

So, probably easy to find info about the Battle of the Bulge, but more difficult to find info on 14th armored involvement, and then more difficult to find individual info about my grandfather.

Rabid Cougar
AG
Division History Book.

Cant beat the actual Division History Book in .pdf format.

Division Unit rosters

https://14thad.org/
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Start by requesting records at link below. It may take a while to process request. The other problem is that the warehouse in St. Louis that housed records for the 2nd half of alphabet burned in the 70s.

Then you can use records to research what theater/missions etc the specific unit participated in.

If you do find anything, please post.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records
cavscout96
AG
+1 for Fold 3

Your public library may have a subscription so you don't have to come out of pocket for it

Great resource
CT'97
AG
You can request his service records and even a set of replacement medals here.

Veterans' Service Records
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.