Retired O6 funeral/uniform quesiton

1,966 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Fly Army 97
Fly Army 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have a relative working a potential military honors for a WWII vet. They have the info for the honors, but not quite sure where to get the Vietnam era (or current) uniform. Where do I start my Google search? Trying to hit the easy button here in case anyone already did this before. Is there a process with the VA? Anything they should shape now to prep the red tape?

Edit: USAF O6
Colonel A. 1976
AG
Contact the local Army recruiting HQ
Col. A 1976
Fly Army 97
Should clarify, it's Air Force. What would the recruiters do?
Hey Nav
AG
'97 - I gather that you're wanting to buy a service dress uniform... ?

While I haven't done this in decades, there is always AAFES. The current uniform looks pretty close to the Viet Nam era fashion.

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/browse/military/air-force-uniforms/men-s-uniforms/service-dress/_/N-104809

Do you also need to build his Ribbon rack? I didn't see them on the site I sent, but I know they are sold there. Of course, a google will find all the usual stores that sell those.

Here's one place to request replacement medal's / ribbons.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals.html?_ga=2.118579657.1187797913.1623434346-482577392.1623434346

Don't know how long the turnaround time is, though.

Best wishes.
74OA
AG
Beyond the uniform: Burial Benefits

If in Texas: Benefits. If not in Texas, I'd check other states offerings, too.
denied
You can wear the service uniform(s) of your era or the current one. So you don't need to worry about getting a Vietnam era USAF uniform, you can just get the current one and follow the current wear guidelines.
CanyonAg77
AG
I think they are looking for a uniform for the deceased, so it might be more important to them to be period correct.
denied
Understandable, I would try to manage expectations and them understand him being in the current uniform is also appropriate.

As for me personally, I would also rather be in a correct uniform than in a "tried to get it period right" uniform.
I Am A Critic
CanyonAg77 said:

I think they are looking for a uniform for the deceased, so it might be more important to them to be period correct.
The deceased is WWII. The person rendering honors is Vietnam and looking for guidance in what to wear. Two different time periods. Not that hard to understand.
denied
Because no one who served in WWII served in Vietnam?

The only known three time recipients of the CIB served in WWII and Vietnam, and most people wear uniforms from the end of their careers and not the beginning.
I Am A Critic
denied said:

The only known three time recipients of the CIB served in WWII and Vietnam, and most people wear uniforms from the end of their careers and not the beginning.
OP didn't say the deceased was a Vietnam era veteran, only WWII. Follow along.
CanyonAg77
AG
I Am A Critic said:

denied said:

OP didn't say the deceased was a Vietnam era veteran, only WWII. Follow along.

The OP was not clear at all. Try not to bring snark to a thread where it does not belong.
Fly Army 97
Sorry, the vet is WWII vet and retired circa Vietnam era. I'm asking for what was inquired about and appreciate what one may prefer for their own funeral.

Nav - sounds like the path of least resistance is AAFES. The person inquiring has access.

Just makes me wonder what people do when they don't have access to AAFES. Is there not a process for this?
74OA
AG
The alternatives to a uniform purchased from AAFES are one bought direct from a uniform supplier, or burial in civilian garb with medals pinned to the chest. If burial in uniform is what the deceased or his family wanted, it is something that should have arranged for well beforehand.
Hey Nav
AG
http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-us-air-force-officer-service-dress-uniform-9957.aspx

This website seems pretty user friendly.
Fly Army 97
74OA said:

The alternatives to a uniform purchased from AAFES are one bought direct from a uniform supplier, or burial in civilian garb with medals pinned to the chest. If burial in uniform is what the deceased or his family wanted, it is something that should have arranged for well beforehand.

Interesting sentiment - I'll bypass that and just try to help them out.
Fly Army 97
Thanks again - I'll get these guys headed in the right direction.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.