Has anyone out there attended CGSC/ILE abroad? Any FAOs?

1,349 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Matt_ag98
Jack Ruby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy.

I was notified yesterday that I will be attending CGSC/ILE in India in 2023. For some background, I spent the first 8 years of my Army career in Field Artillery (conventional and rocket), and was selected to become a China Foreign Area Officer after I completed Battery command about a year ago. Since then, the Army has blended all of their INDOPACOM AOR FAOs into one MOS (it used to be split up between SE Asia, NE Asia, and China). As such, this has greatly broadened our opportunities to serve in any constituent country, when before I would've been limited to Mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Singapore.

I'm currently in language training (simplified Mandarin) at DLI-Monterey, and will begin CGSC after I complete grad school by the end of 2022. Has anyone completed field-grade officer education abroad? I take it this was probably a fairly common practice during the cold war, particularly in places like the UK. If so, can you shed some light on your experiences? Or know someone that did?

Surely there are some old FAOs out there...I know we are a pretty small community all things considered, but would like to get in touch with someone who has "been there and done that". Thanks!
Fly Army 97
That's an amazing opportunity. We send a lot of students around the world to attend CGSC-like schools. My XO went to Argentina. While not the same focus, their academic requirements seems rigorous. Good luck and post an update, I studied with a lot of students from India while at grad school. Really interesting history and culture to explore.
clarythedrill
Col Kurtz said:

Howdy.

I was notified yesterday that I will be attending CGSC/ILE in India in 2023. For some background, I spent the first 8 years of my Army career in Field Artillery (conventional and rocket), and was selected to become a China Foreign Area Officer after I completed Battery command about a year ago. Since then, the Army has blended all of their INDOPACOM AOR FAOs into one MOS (it used to be split up between SE Asia, NE Asia, and China). As such, this has greatly broadened our opportunities to serve in any constituent country, when before I would've been limited to Mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Singapore.

I'm currently in language training (simplified Mandarin) at DLI-Monterey, and will begin CGSC after I complete grad school by the end of 2022. Has anyone completed field-grade officer education abroad? I take it this was probably a fairly common practice during the cold war, particularly in places like the UK. If so, can you shed some light on your experiences? Or know someone that did?

Surely there are some old FAOs out there...I know we are a pretty small community all things considered, but would like to get in touch with someone who has "been there and done that". Thanks!
I was not an officer, but served with several who did the distance learning version of your school as Majors. They absolutely hated it. It was basically a full time job to do the training/courses, and still had to do their actual job that they were stationed to do. I wish you luck, and hope there is good internet where you are going to be when actually doing the course.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I can't offer any insight into the course but I can offer insight into India, especially what appears to be the epicenter of the Hindustan military industrial complex - Bangalore.

Clary mentioned internet access. Surprisingly, that won't be a problem but, reliable electricity and water will be daily challenges.
Matt_ag98
Sorry just now seeing this but what a fantastic opportunity! I know a buddy I worked with as a FAO/LNO in Tokyo did the Japanese CGSC (great forcing function!) and it worked out well as the JGSDF MAJs he was classmates with really helped the US/Japan exercises and understanding! Having worked with a bunch of FAOs at USARPAC, when I was an exercise planner, I don't ever want that life, getting pulled in all directions all over INDOPACOM, but if you can survive that to get to be the Singapore DAT or something that looked like a pretty sweet gig! Good luck!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.