Fascinating listen from RAF about training against US planes

2,477 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Postal
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Talks about training against F-14s, 15s, 16s and 18s. Also discusses fighting against F111s in training.

Rabid Cougar
AG
Very cool.

Would like to hear about how the current RAF Typhoons fair against those mentioned and the F-22. The Typhoons are nasty in close quarters like the F-16's and can maneuver with the F-22's. He talks about "seeing" the F-14's and F-15 at distance on radar. No such thing with the F-22..
F4GIB71
Excellent interview. You could substitute F-4 for F-3 and say pretty much the same things. Of course that is a little apples and oranges being different generation aircraft, especially vs 15, 16, and 18.
AgBQ-00
AG
I liked the story about using the reservation canyon for cover Thought it was pretty funny
Postal
AG
Thanks for sharing. I've flown in the F-15E, F-16, and E/A-18G. Never got to fight another country's fighters.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Aircrew Interview Channel.

Aircrew Interviews

There are several with Vic Vizcarra, a USAF pilot in the Vietnam Era.
bigtruckguy3500
Nice, how'd you manage all those flights?
Postal
AG
I signed up for them!

I flew the F-15E in NC from 07-17. From 14-17 I was stationed at Shaw in SC as the wing EWO, and I would commute back to NC to get my sorties. While I was at Shaw, anytime they had a D model in the line up I would jump in. My last assignment I flew Growlers with the Navy.
bigtruckguy3500
Did you have specific connections? Or did you just call up squadron ops and be like "hey, can I fly in your back seat?" Asking for a friend. I've got an up to date DD 2992.
Postal
AG
I just looked at the schedule and called the ops desk when I was at Shaw. I never had to do any special training cause I flew the Eagle concurrently. I never had a qual in the F-16
bigtruckguy3500
I think the hard part for me is getting access to the schedule, and being close enough to an AF base to get there without affecting my primary job. I've got all the training, and have flown in the T6, T45, and F16. Everytime I see an empty back seat, I always think "what a waste." I should've been a little more bold the last time I was at Nellis on a det, could've probably sweet talked my way into an F15. T38 would be cool too.

How'd you like that Navy harness vs that Air Force one? I still can't get over the difference between the two.
Postal
AG
I hated the Navy harness. The USAF get up was way more comfy
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.