Question for old BQs from before 2000s

1,910 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
SigChiDad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did anyone in an Aggie band outfit before the 2000s spend a significant amount of time as an outfit practicing drill and ceremony? More recent BQs say they spent time on it as an outfit very rarely, and never with any regularity.
aggiejim70
AG
Please define what you mean by "drill and ceremony", and I'll try to address your question.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
BQ_90
AG
There was some platoon contest I think in the spring. But only black belts and platoon sergeants participated in it.

Never remember any of that at the outfit level
SigChiDad
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Please define what you mean by "drill and ceremony", and I'll try to address your question.

Column turns, gate turns, any parade maneuvers used to move around as an outfit instead of as the Aggie band. For us, we practiced gate turns right before a parade in Houston, and we marched as an outfit into Duncan, but otherwise the only kind of marching we'd practice was on the drill field.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

we marched as an outfit into Duncan, but otherwise the only kind of marching we'd practice was on the drill field.
Same.

BQ77

Only exception was drill competition for best-drilled fish and soph
aggiejim70
AG
Thanks for the clarification. No, I don't recall any drills of that kind. I thought you might have been referring to drills with rifles prior to Federal Inspection. I always thought that was a waste of time because we always stood inspection in band formation as opposed to platoon and squad formations. I never thought any of those inspecting officers had any idea what the manual of arms for a snare drum was.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
AgBQ-00
AG
Same recollection as CanyonAg77 for me. There was a black belt competition. But I don't remember any full outfit practicing

Quad Dog
AG
Same here 2000-2004. Never once marched around as an outfit with a guidon out front like I saw other CT outfits do.
We'd do D&C stuff in smaller groups for blackbelt competitions.
Never had a need to either. Every parade or review I was in I carried an instrument. Only marched in formation to dinner at Duncan, and that was a max of two turns and a halt.
BootScootinAggie94
I have noticed more outfits doing drill training and practice, seems like something that has picked up in the last few years. Cadre and staff show up a week before FOW orientation starts partially so they can practice the Sabre drills and the maneuvers they will teach the incoming fish. Have even seen some outfits marching with the guidon out front with seniors wearing their Senior Boots with shorts, can't imagine why they would wear boots and shorts except for practicing maneuvers?
HollywoodBQ
AG
BootScootinAggie94 said:

Senior Boots with shorts
Quad Dog
AG
BootScootinAggie94 said:

I have noticed more outfits doing drill training and practice, seems like something that has picked up in the last few years. Cadre and staff show up a week before FOW orientation starts partially so they can practice the Sabre drills and the maneuvers they will teach the incoming fish. Have even seen some outfits marching with the guidon out front with seniors wearing their Senior Boots with shorts, can't imagine why they would wear boots and shorts except for practicing maneuvers?
Breaking in the boots?
JABQ04
AG
Quad Dog said:

Same here 2000-2004. Never once marched around as an outfit with a guidon out front like I saw other CT outfits do.
We'd do D&C stuff in smaller groups for blackbelt competitions.
Never had a need to either. Every parade or review I was in I carried an instrument. Only marched in formation to dinner at Duncan, and that was a max of two turns and a halt.

Yep. Aggie Band exact same time. Never did unit D&C. Although (humble brag) I was best drilled sophomore in artillery band back in the day.
BootScootinAggie94
Quad Dog said:

BootScootinAggie94 said:

wearing their Senior Boots with shorts, can't imagine why they would wear boots and shorts except for practicing maneuvers?
Breaking in the boots?
Sure that could be, is it true that if Butts are going to wear them for breaking them in that they are required to wear them with shorts? In this case I think it was new seniors who wanted to practice marching in the boots in the August heat.
JABQ04
AG
I think it's just a casual way to break in your boots while doing drill pre-FOW. I know I didn't wear my boots once boot dance was over until FOW back in the day.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BootScootinAggie94 said:

practice marching in the boots in the August heat.
This is Texas, right?

During my era, the football team practiced outdoors and used it as a competitive advantage when schools from up North would come to Kyle Field in September. </grumpy old Ag>
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.