1SG William S. Evans

2,347 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by denied
ABattJudd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had not known this previously, but the original "Band of Brothers" Easy Company 1st Sergeant William Evans (played by Simon Pegg in the miniseries) was an Aggie. He was killed on D-Day when the plane carrying the company headquarters section was shot down. Dick Winters, the XO, was the only soldier from the headquarters section to survive the day as he was on another plane.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
USAFAg
USAFAg
AG
https://military.wikia.org/wiki/William_S._Evans

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
JABQ04
AG
Reading that I wonder if he did time in the army prior to the outbreak of the war. Looks like he graduated and went straight to work as a civilian from that write up. That jump from cadet to civilian to 1SG though...... I guess I always thought a commission after graduation was the norm back then.
USAFAg
AG
Not sure, but I don't think active military service was compulsory even back 1932. Obliviously, being in the Corps and taking military training was. Graduates of A&M who enlisted during the war after holding civilian jobs (instead of seeking a commission) was not that uncommon.

JABQ04
AG
I just tried browsing through the online AggieLands (The Longhorn) but no luck. But my phone is being a pain right now.
USAFAg
AG
https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=241615

This site indicates he only had two years of college. I suppose in 1942 when he enlisted, the rapid build up of forces lead to him being selected as a 1SG. He would have been 32yo, so older and presumably more mature than most enlistees, held at least two responsible jobs, two years of college was something back then, training at A&M during the two years....

ABATTBQ87
AG
JABQ04 said:

I just tried browsing through the online AggieLands (The Longhorn) but no luck. But my phone is being a pain right now.
from the 1930 Longhorn, he was in Troop A Cavalry (first-year private)

hillcountryag86
AG
Dick Winters, veterinarian?
denied
I hate that I didn't know this sooner. I spent four years in that company (and got out four years ago).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.