BAB-O Bombs

2,963 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie1
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Subject came up in a bull session this afternoon. Anybody got any good stories? Now, please don't anybody come on here and ask what's that.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
F4GIB71
F-1 fish came to my outfit for a BABO bomb to use on one of your classmates who is now a "female". How's that to start this thread?
F4GIB71
aggiejim70
AG
F4GIB71 said:

F-1 fish came to my outfit for a BABO bomb to use on one of your classmates who is now a "female". How's that to start this thread?
What can I say, we quit giving out the most changed award at reunions years ago.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CanyonAg77
AG
I heard the legends, never actually saw one or its employment.

I was told that you would grind off the soldered metal on the extreme bottom of a lightbulb, remove the element, fill it with BABO soap powder, then screw it back in the light fixture over the sink.

When the light was turned on, it would pop and shower the room with powder.

Is this anywhere near the correct story, or was the legend convoluted by the time I showed up in the fall of 1973?
aggiejim70
AG
I've heard that story too, I'm not sure if I ever saw it in practice. Besides, that's hi-tech. I'm talking about putting an M-80 in a can of BAB-O, lighting the fuse and tossing it into someone's room at 3 AM. Better hope it doesn't roll into the closet, It's hell getting BAB-O out of wool uniforms..

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CanyonAg77
AG
In today's university climate, Googling "M-80" will get you kicked out on your butt.

University officials are so damned risk adverse, they won't let cadets actually learn by screwing up, anymore.
F4GIB71
I've heard about the light switch style but never saw one. My only experiences were the type jim70 describes. There were also mods such as using a cigarette to make a delayed fuse. Also a certain "stick" used to lock the recipient inside after rolling it into the room. In those days, it was a senior privilege to lock your door while you were inside. Juniors could "manipulate" the closet doors to make entry difficult but it was usually a sophomore who received the justly deserved "gift" from the fish class.

I recall a detail about the case I cited. Class privileges varied from outfit to outfit. F-1 allowed sophomores to have curtains that separated the closets from the rest of the room. (I don't recall my outfit allowing that). When the fish rolled the BABO bomb into the room, they only rolled it just inside the door. When it went off, most of the BABO was caught by the closet curtains rather than covering their rest of the room.
F4GIB71
aggiese72
AG
I agree with "aggiejim70" regarding the ingredients. A successful mission was to be carefully and gleefully celebrated.... If you were one of the perpetrators.
74OA
AG
Heard of them, but never knew of one actually being used during my time. Described to me as Babbo-filled toilet paper tube wrapped with tape, one end lightly stuffed with paper and a M-80 or somesuch sticking out the other end. Hang from underside of top rack with open end pointing out into the room, light the fuse and run.
F4GIB71
Essentially take a can of BAB-O (or Comet, A-Jax, any cleanser). Cut a slit in the side, stuff in the M-80, and tape around the slit. There is so much that was done back then that would get you kicked out of school today. Different day and time.
F4GIB71
Strong Men Armed
Worked for a guy from class of '61 who spoke about cadets using the steam tunnels (another great topic) as avenues of approach to deliver said bombs. Now, he wouldn't confirm or deny that he used the tunnels or built the bombs, but you could tell the memories brought great satisfaction.
CanyonAg77
AG
I need to know the statute of limitations on steam tunnel travel, before I comment.
maverick2076
We never used the babo bomb, but we were big fans of the piss puck.
F4GIB71
I hadn't thought of Babo bombs in years until brought up in this thread. There were other ways a fish could get back at an upper classman. You have to be OLD to remember this, but the Coke machines in the dorms in those days dispensed a cup and filled it like a fountain drink. It was a junior privilege to have personal service. If you lived next to a junior or senior, they would bang on the wall to summon you. "Here's the money, fish Jones. Go get me a Coke." There were several things one could do to the Coke.
74OA
AG
F4GIB71 said:

I hadn't thought of Babo bombs in years until brought up in this thread. There were other ways a fish could get back at an upper classman. You have to be OLD to remember this, but the Coke machines in the dorms in those days dispensed a cup and filled it like a fountain drink. It was a junior privilege to have personal service. If you lived next to a junior or senior, they would bang on the wall to summon you. "Here's the money, fish Jones. Go get me a Coke." There were several things one could do to the Coke.
Almost fill one of the ever-present large plastic garbage cans with water. Add piss and sugar. Tilt it against the outside of a door so the can falls inward when opened. Wet, stinky, sticky mess ensues.
Aggie1
AG
During my days 1961+ it was mandatory Corps for 2 years unless foreign student, veteran, grad student, or otherwise physically handicapped.

Freshmen were fish
Sophomores were Pi$$Heads
Juniors were SergeBu##s
and Senior were "Leather legs"...

It was a junior, senior privilege to close one's door for privacy while in their dorm room... Corner rooms were senior privilege to try to get a cross breeze. But, doors were often left open - along with windows - because refrigerated air conditioning was many years in the future. In the high humidity and often dead still days/nights being in doors could be difficult to exist. Showers - steaming showers - were OFTEN taken several times a day to endure.

It was a Sophomore privilege to f... their door - i.e, open the dorm room door and connect it to a closet door with the end of a coke pallet - because cokes came in bottles in pallets of 24 in those days... This door arrangement afforded some privacy but also allowed air flow over the doors and through the room from window to hall and across hall rooms.

It was a fish privilege to keep their dorm door wide open at all times when occupied - thus ANY upperclassman could keep an eye on conduct, study habits, etc., because after supper and mail run all fish had to be at their desks studying from 1830-2200 with a break about 2030 depending. The fish could not be leaning back in his desk chair, did not have radio privileges during study time and did not have fan privileges (this varied from unit to unit and a fish could gain privileges based on conduct and bearing, lack of demerits, etc.). He could not be studying in bed and typically the bed was made up and foot locker, etc., was always open for inspection.

It was a Sophomore's "duty" to make sure the fish learned campusology, kept his room, closet, uniform, etc. tidy and up to military standards, learned to march correctly, ate rigid backed, 4-corner meals in the chow hall, etc.

When a sophomore exceeded his authority (according to the fish) and gave the fish too hard a time - which some sophomores were absolutely relentlessly "mean" - it was possible for the fish to retaliate with a babo bomb, or S... can of piss, water, pencill shavings, cereal from the mess hall, etc...
The retaliation usually came after the sophomore finally went to sleep and was tossed over the f...ed doors leading from the hall into his room... A cherry bomb or M-80 in a can of babo or a s... can of "slop" was typical.

IF the fish was caught he had to clean the mess up - but if not, the sophomore target had to clean up the mess himself... And, he too was subject to inspections by Juniors and Seniors and Bulls from the TRIGON - so, it may take a day or so to get all the powdery babo out of every nook and cranny... and if a S... can bomb all the mess had to be cleaned up quickly as well. This was usually "good bull" - but like anything could be carried to extreme - when unit ostracism could be enforced.

More often as not the Sophomore had a pretty good idea who he had been unmercifully hazing and berating - but if he did not catch the person, he had no choice but to let up - or it might just happen again...

The hardest was to go from one dorm to another and the victim be on the 4th stoop, middle of hall,.. because to get out undetected required going up and down 3 flights of stairs in and out of the building undetected... This usually occurred with waiters from Duncan/Sbisa who might have been hazed by someone in another outfit - or even by being paid by an upperclassman to seek revenge by the fish instead of himself to avoid any detection. There were many circumstances that fit... The same relationship from Sophomore to Junior could also occur - or Junior to Senior - but NEVER jump rank say from fish to Junior... That was forbotten.

I happen to have witnessed this on more than one occasion as a fish myself. It was a very effective tool to get an upperclassmen to leave oneself alone!!

As a side note: Toilets in the bathrooms were typically 5 to a side in a row. The one nearest the window was the senior's toilet, then the junior's, then the sophomore's, then the fish, then the VD toilet nearest the interior hallway. No one jumped rank using toilets either...
F4GIB71
Most of what you cite was unchanged by '67 when I was a fish. The Corps was no longer mandatory, Senors were called Zips because of the braid on their caps, and privileges varied by outfit. I don't recall having to keep the door open when occupied. Everyone could lock their doors when they left but when occupied, seniors could lock and juniors could do what you describe for sophomores. I was fortunate because air conditioning started being installed in the Duncan area perhaps the summer before my fish year. I was in Dorm 2 with Corps Staff, so we were first. I had AC as a fish but many of my classmates on the other end of the Quad did not yet. Another major factor for fish privileges during CQ was grades. I had a fish in my outfit that graduated in three years with a 3.7 (we changed from the 3.0 to 4.0 grading system after my sophomore year) in Chemical Engineering and rarely cracked a book. He had a photographic memory and only needed to see it once. He would be in the bag by 2100 some nights.
aggiejim70
AG
I was fortunate because air conditioning started being installed in the Duncan area perhaps the summer before my fish year

Actually it started in the spring '67. 9 and 11 were one of the first to get A/C. The BQ's lived in dorm 7. 50 plus years down the road, I think as I walk down the quad, I can still see the steam coming out of one particular room as a result of the appreciation party they threw for us after yelling beat the hell outa the class of '69 at a showing of We've Never Been Licked.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Aggie1
AG
Agreed with additional notes. We were all in the same boat.

When I first started A&M Hurricane Carla had just wrecked Galveston and Houston, etc., and we at fish camp in Palestine Methodist Assembly Campground were detained several days until the dorms were cleared of refugees. Then, we had the privilege of cleaning up their messes left behind. It seemed to rain every day until Thanksgiving. Keeping a uniform decent and avoiding blisters with new shoes in the wet was a major issue.

As I recall the only buildings that had A/C were the MSC, the All-Faiths Chapel, The Coke Building, and the first floor of the Academic Building. There was a lot of loitering in those areas to get a bit of cool air. Sometimes mail check occurred several times during the day in the MSC as a result... After Carla the clay soil under the All-Faiths Chapel swelled so much the floor cracked and much of the building was off-limits until it was repaired. One of the ways a fish could get out of CQ was to have some religious activity at a local church or synagogue. As a result we were a lot more religious during those years...

An interesting thing that I recall was a kid from NY who had attended Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute PREP thought he had all the answers and generally made a nuisance of himself and upset his fish peers to the extent that they took his clothes and belongings and gave them all a "shower" and then tossed them out into to quad for him to retrieve at will. This happened in F-1. It was the most obvious "highway 6 runs both ways" I ever observed. He soon left the campus never to be seen again.

On the other hand, I also observed same outfit a kid from Brooklyn - Shelley Minckon, overweight, Jewish, heavy horn rimmed glasses, mop of heavily greased hair (soon cut off...), (room mate was a cowboy from San Saba) - who took to Corps life with gusto, lost a bunch of weight by Christmas break, went home with boots and hat and big belt buckle, etc., and claimed his folks did not recognize him when they picked him up for the holidays. His unit helped him because he helped himself.

Same outfit had a kid named Orelle MacDaniel who simply could not march without "bouncing". He had a physical impairment but was determined to be in the Corps because he was legacy and his family expected it and he wanted it. In spite of the fact his marching invariably made his unit lose grading points at march-ins, because he was so determined - again, his unit supported him and helped him in every way they could. If not for him, F-1 probably would have won General Moore that year.

Athletes in Hart, Law, Puryear, and Henderson had to be in the Corps, but were not required to wear their uniforms daily and were obvious in their jeans, tee-shirts and flip-flops during the week not having to meet formations. But, when they had bull-text they too had to conform with uniforms, etc. This requirement was a big problem for recruiting that went away when the Corps became non-compulsory.

Since I attended off and on from 1961-1973 I also witnessed the changes that occurred during that time frame. Non-regs who were Corps capable sometimes were pretty critical of the Corps and that they did not have to participate. Conversely, people in the Corps often resented the non-regs who they believed should be in the Corps with them. This adversarial relationship sometimes was a problem internal to the campus - but when away, like a family, all converged to support and defend A&M.

It was a Sophomore privilege to have a car on campus even though their lot was furthest from the dorms. If a fish had a car there had to be a reason. Some parked off campus. "Whipping out" was mandatory and if you happened to meet someone from your home town they would likely "drop handles" and often befriend you and keep you out of some details. My best "drop handle" was from Senior Ronnie Moon, who was the combined band drum major. We both attended Horace Mann Jr Hi and Palo Duro Sr Hi in Amarillo.

It was a miserable fall because of Carls! ...and the football team only won 4 games in Jim Meyers last year. It got worse with Foldberg only winning 1 game in 1964. Then Gene Stallings took over but was very inexperienced at the time. Eventually, he followed Bear Bryant to Alabama and won a national championship for them. Meanwhile A&M was on probation for Bear Bryant's antics at Junction where he took scholarships away from kids who failed or left after which the NCAA changed the way Spring Practice, summer workouts, contacts with coaches off season, amount of practice before fall games kicked off, etc. in both college and high school. It was a very difficult issue to recruit top players to A&M during those years after Bryant left because of the probation, the isolation, the Corps requirement, not being co-ed, etc.

"Legacy" was a HUGE deal for not only normal students but also athletes!! ... and often was the main reason many attended A&M. However, the drop-out rate was abysmal - especially the first semester/year for many because of the Corps, the difficult classes, the isolation, and the weather being so humid and oppressive without A/C. Just far enough from the coast to get very few breezes and still get the stifling heat. When many classmates from high school were living it up and being "Greek" on other campuses, it took a lot of "grit" to stick it out at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas. For those that remained - it didn't matter if you came from a wealthy background - or poor - those who stuck it out became "Aggies" and were better for it - all having endured the same hardships and eureka moments to survive and graduate. And these are the core of why A&M is so special... and why it grieves me to see such petty PC nonsense from the vocal few upsetting the traditions that came so special to so many of us over such things as whether or not Sully belongs - or not...

Game Day Pre-game march-in to Kyle Field and watching the Corps perform before and during half time was very VERY exciting. College Station was "dry" and no one even thought of "tailgating". At games, everyone not in the Corps dressed in slacks, polished shoes, often a tie and coat depending on temperature and always got their date - who wore dresses to the games - a corsage. There weren't many motels so there was a lot of bed and breakfast opportunities all over Bryan and College Station for out of town dates.
And, the 2 Corps trips every year alternately to Austin, Houston, Dallas and Fort Worth (...and Baton Rouge lol), were also special - being put up by buddies from the town if you didn't live there, etc. It was a great relief and break from the everyday on campus requirements.

Silver Taps did not happen often. Before major holidays "Code 10" movies (car wreck movies from Ohio Highway Patrol...) were shown in Guion Hall (a tragedy that it was demolished!!) in a mandatory formation to encourage safe driving. But when a Silver Taps did occur, it was lights out in all dorms/buildings except street lights and everyone straggled to the front of the Academic Building for the service. Quizzes were discouraged the following day but sometimes profs did not cooperate... The longest trip I ever had from A&M to Amarillo (540 mi) was after a Code 10 session and it took 13 hours. I was determined to get my own car and never EVER have to endure another 50 MPH trip like that. Typically, I made the same trip in 8- 8 1/2 hours.
OldArmy71
AG
I was at A&M in the Corps 67-71. I'm enjoying your memories. Not too different from mine.

Did the Campus Theater have "midnight frolics" every now and then on the weekend? I remember a buddy and I walked all the way over there in a soaking rain one Saturday night. The crowd's antics were the real show.

What entertainment do you remember going to? (I think they called it Town Hall.) I remember Simon and Garfunkel, The Fifth Dimension, The Cowsills.

Did Old Army Lou pass out ice chips during major drills on the drill field?

Wasn't 1961 the first year the brass did away with the branch organization of the Corps? (No more infantry, artillery, engineers, etc.)
aggiejim70
AG
Then there was that great night at the Campus Theater when the feature was "The Boys in the Band" and we had the fish up on stage singing the BQ song.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Aggie1
AG
From 1961-1964 I was on an Amarillo Hometown Club opportunity award work program scholarship, so I simply did not have a lot of time to go to the Campus Theater. I recall going to Guion often because I ended up transferring from G-1 in the Corps area as a fish (we won General Moore) over to H-3 and walked on the track team - and lettered. The Spring Sports were in Hart across the street from Guion so we just walked across the street to movies. I worked in Duncan when I was in G-1. I always had a job at the Texas Transportation Institute, and at the MSC either dining room or banquets - had to work in a dining facility for meals throughout my A&M years. Any afternoons I could get several hours put together (which meant cutting a lot of architecture labs...) I worked as a carpenter on several homes and apartments. I went on Corps trips and to LSU and Mardi Gras every year...

In 1965 I married a local Bryan girl and we had 2 stillborns - so I quit A&M to pay bills and for her to get "help"... Worked at Alenco and still as a carpenter, then since I didn't have a degree (double CE-Architecture), the draft picked me up after divorce in 1967. As AF enlisted 2-striper I was back at A&M in AF Bootstrap program getting my undergrad work done and graduated in 1969 - .I still did carpentry work to make ends meet. Point being I simply didn't have a lot of time to go to Campus Theater.

I was pilot qualified but wanted to finish my Architectural internship, etc., and turned down pilot commission. Randolph was PO'ed and sent me to Iceland for calendar year 1970, unaccompanied remote AC&W. As a result I got my choice of assignments upon return and I requested A&M AF Det 805 at TRIGON as a SSgt. While there I found out I could get a direct commission into the AF Medical Service and applied - it was approved, then I requested to finish Master's since i was on campus - approved - I was on the TSgt promotion list but ended up finishing my master's as a 2Lt and graduated in 1973. Then on to the SW Division Corps of Engineers in Dallas. and a 21-year AF career etc

For whatever reason I did not do much with Old Army Lou... I bought most of my books at the Book Store across from the Physical Plant or Schaeffer's at North Gate. While I did not spend 4 years in the Corps I cherish my 2 years and the memories as much as any of my lifetime. It was NOT easy, but in retrospect it was good for me - as it is anyone who perseveres and endures and finally graduates. The rewards of being a real Aggie are endless.
F4GIB71
OldArmy71 and I were in G-1, Ramblin' G Rogues although he was in another outfit as a fish and came in as a sophomore. One thing that changed from your day was having a car was now a fish privilege. Didn't matter much because if I recall correctly, G-1 had 53 fish on day one. Only one guy had a car. He was from St. Louis and didn't last the semester. We had 9 return as sophomores.
maverick2076
F4GIB71 said:

OldArmy71 and I were in G-1, Ramblin' G Rogues although he was in another outfit as a fish and came in as a sophomore. One thing that changed from your day was having a car was now a fish privilege. Didn't matter much because if I recall correctly, G-1 had 53 fish on day one. Only one guy had a car. He was from St. Louis and didn't last the semester. We had 9 return as sophomores.

Not sure if you are aware, but G-1 is back on the Quad as the Rogues. They are always looking to find new alumni. I'm c/o '00 G-1. You can find the G-1 alumni group on FB here. We would love to have you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FormerG1Fighters/?ref=share
Aggie1
AG
In 1961 G-1 was "Gentlemen G-1" - CO was John Imle (now deceased I believe)
We were in Dorm 7 - Duncan Area - first 2 Stoops - also named Schuhmaker Hall at the time.
I believe that Dorm now has another name new since as the name Schuhmaker has been given to anoother and newer dorm since.

S#itCan 5 (Squadron 5) had the upper two stoops.
Both G-1 and Sq-5 were primarily architecture majors for incoming freshmen as the TRIGON helped group major studies in separate dorms but it was relatively new and some of the upperclassmen had other majors.
G-1 in 1961-2 won General Moore
It was NOT noted for being a "red-a$$ed outfit"... like say, F-1 next door which was primarily CE majors

1961-2 was the senior year of the first group of graduates who started with black shoes instead of brown (1957-8) and I think was the beginning time of outfit changes in artillery, infantry, engineers, etc., more to "major studies" and considered themselves "new army" and everyone who preceded them (brown shoes) "old Army" as a result. That question seems to often come up and the answer I just gave makes a lot of sense.

There have been many changes in names and locations and identifications of dorms, etc., since then...

When I returned in 1968-9 there were sweeping, universal - and often controversial changes at A&M - i.e, Corps non-compulsory, co-ed, new dorms, name change, Rudder house burned/New president's building (just demolished for tailgating area (crazy??).
When I returned in 1971 to the TRIGON staff, those changes had made a momentous and profound effect on everything A&M - which has progressed (unfortunately IMO) steadily towards being just another mega state institution since...

I now try to keep up via the [SUL-ROSS-GROUP] SRG Bulletin which as some of you may know, the SRG is the Sul Ross Group named for Lawrence Sullivan Ross generally considered responsible for the very existence and success of Texas A&M and Prairie View A&M University. His statue on campus has been a focal point of demonstrations because of a besides being a former president of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (which became Texas A&M University), and a governor of the state of Texas, served as a General in the Confederacy (having worked his way up from private).

The Sul Ross Group is made up of Graduates of Texas A&M University and the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas from classes at least 55 years ago. They are very interested in what goes on at A&M and want to participate in keeping it the outstanding place it has become as natural changes occur and want to see it maintain its core values as it reacts to the times we live in today. They interact officially and directly with the Administration, the Board, and just about anything to do with A&M culture and history.

It is free and if interested all you have to do is sign up. If interested I can forward a copy or two via email for you to read and inspect.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.