Service connection advice

1,356 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Joe Schillaci 48
Reel Aggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know a lot of you are ex/retired military. I need some recs on who to talk to to help my Dad get his service connection up a bit higher than it is now. I have tried the TVC to no avail. Has anyone used an attorney to help fast track some? I'm willing to pay if needed. All recs appreciated. Dad was in 'Nam 69-70, Camp Evans with the 237th.
Retusaf94
I would talk to the VFW service officer at you local VFW Post. They should be able to help you or point you in the right direction.
Pea
Am not an expert but based on my own service connection can offer the following:
- As mentioned, the regional VSO (Veteran Services Officer?) will be a great resource. There are usually multiples VSOs in a region that work thru various veteran orgs (VFW, Legion, etc). The VA may also be able to refer you and your father to one locally.
- To change a previously issued rating, a new claim should be expected that substantiates the increased rating. Depending upon the disability, some disabilities will naturally worsen with age... this is taken into consideration as the VA evaluates the claim (some worsened disabilities due to age are not ignored, and can result in a higher rating being provided).
- I'm not aware of a way to fast-track claims/reviews... to the VA's credit, their processing has improved in recent years. My experience was a judgement issued on a claim to be sub-60 days. Key to a timely claim and review is a thorough package of evidence... missing docs & evidence introduce delays.

Good luck and thank you for helping your father. Thank you for his service.

Cheers!
74OA
AG
Service connection? Is that short for service-related disability? Sorry.........
Aggie12B
AG
The Veteran's Service Officer (VSO) at your local VFW or American Legion should be able to help. You could also check with the DAV or Wounded Warrior Project. The VSO from any of these organizations should be able to help, or they can put you in touch with someone who can help.

Since your Father served in Vietnam, he definitely was exposed to Agent Orange. There are at least 14 different presumptive diseases associated with Agent Orange exposure, some of which can be passed down 1 or 2 generations. If your Father isn't receiving benefits for the Agent Orange, he definitely needs to appeal his Disability Claim. The VA has finally come around and recognised that EVERYBODY who served in Vietnam was exposed to Agent Orange and claims related to any of the presumptive diseases are automatically approved

You can also check out
www.va.gov
www.repforvets.com
and enter Agent Orange Exposure or Agent Orange Presumptive diseases in the search box for more info.

Hope this helps
Hey Nav
AG
https://www.dav.org/veterans/find-your-local-office/

DAV can help also. Best wishes.
F4GIB71
Don't give up. My claim for hearing loss was ruled "not service connected" even though I spent 18 years on flight line with running jets and no hearing protection (shame on us). Then took three appeals to get fair ruling on my back from an aircraft ejection. I swear their first reaction is not service connected to see if you'll go away
F4GIB71
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
May I also suggest Texas Veterans Commission? They helped me a lot. I am 70%.

Might I also add that the Veterans Commission has improved 100% in the past 2 or 3 years. I do not want to get political but someone came in and cleared out a lot of the deadwood.

In January I received a phone call from the VA that told me if I wanted a Covid vacination they would give them to me. I said yes and got the first one two weeks later.

It's a whole new VA.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.