Need Help - Veteran/Spouse Burial in National Cemetary

1,451 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by combat wombat™
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad is a veteran. My step mother had a heart attack a few days ago and is not expected to survive. I was asked to look into expediting the forms needed to make burial in a national cemetary happen.

Does anyone here know what I need to do?
Outlaw0206
AG
Sorry to hear the news.
Funeral director should be able to point you in the right direction. Check this out.
https://www.va.gov/burials-memorials/schedule-a-burial/
Fly Army 97
Schedule a burial

You can Google veterans burial process and it will take you to a similar site. But I recommend you get started with contacting the right people up front to walk you through the process. If the veteran is eligible to be buried in a national cemetery, they can make sure you have the proper planning that is required. Sorry to hear about your circumstances, but let the group here know if you need any assistance. You'll find lots of help here.
MarathonAg12
Sorry about your step mother wombat
combat wombat™
AG
Thanks for the help.

Based on my discussion with the funeral home, my father is going to have to find his form DD214. (He says he has one somewhere... but he lives in Galveston he has had to pack boxes for evacuation several times and he also flooded. I'm not feeling optimistic at all that he will locate this form.) The government offices that issue those are shut down because of covid. That means that my stepmother will have to be cremated if he cannot find that form. And then he can bury her cremated remains in the.Houston National Cemetary once he finds or replaces the form.
Retusaf94
If he is a member of the VFW or American Legion, they may have a copy of his DD-214..
combat wombat™
AG
Thanks for the suggestion, I will ask him.
F4GIB71
Search "get a copy of DD214" and you will find links. May not be the quickest though.
F4GIB71
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
combat wombat said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I will ask him.
He might have filed his 214 with the county when he was discharged - I did and many others did.
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
USAFAg
AG
Request a DD214

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
combat wombat™
AG
We were told the office that issues DD214s is closed because of Covid. We found out the will process in emergencies, which this is. We applied for one yesterday and have no idea how long it will take to get the form.

My step-mother died last night.
USAFAg
AG
I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope my input helps. If I learn anymore, I'll post as soon as I can.

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
combat wombat™
AG
Thanks, all. My step-mother and I were not close.. but prayers for our family are appreciated. My father, sister, and nephew especially.
Bassfield
AG
Once your father gets a copy of his DD-214 have him take it to the county courthouse. They will scan a copy and keep a record of it in case he misplaces it again.
combat wombat™
AG
He and my two sisters spent a whole day looking for it, and they found it. Each of his three daughters now has a copy in case he misplaces it again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.