Who used to get their haircut on south gate from "Mean Gene"!?

3,141 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by oldyeller
Slyfox07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That MF'er used to give the absolute best norelco 5-finger white walls in town
Stive
AG
Saw him a few times, but typically used the woman that used to work there.

My 4th and 5th years I worked at the Loupots that was attached to the SG barber shop. I knew he was weird before I started working there but after I worked there a while I learned just how weird he really was. Dude was off the charts odd-ball.
marcel ledbetter
I remember a weird barber there named Gene back in the late 90s. He was different but was a really good barber and skilled with straight razor. I first knew him from a barber shop across Texas com campus before he moved to South Gate.
JABQ04
AG
I remember the same thing, except early 2000s. For sure remember the straight razor and him ranting about something or other, all while I'm trying to not even breathe. He was good with the straight razor too. I think he made the rounds though, South Gate, north gate, east gate. I remember him cutting my hair at Northgate
marcel ledbetter
That's got to be him. He used to let me bring my fat dog into the barbershop while I got my hair cut. As he was cutting my hair once, he told me he was a country music song writer as well as a barber. He then started singing his "song" in right in my ear. I couldn't cringe away because he was hard at work with that straight razor.

I'd go get a haircut from him today if he was still around. He was really good. Just weird! And not a song writer.
CharlieBrown17
AG
He was still cutting hair as of 2016/17.

He might have given a good cut back in the day but the entire time I was at A&M he was a last resort for anyone. Uneven fade and just weird.

Bobby at SG cut my hair 90% of the time for my 5 years so I watched a lot of **** mean gene cuts leave there
BaitShack
AG
Gene
Bobby
Lydia
Douglas

marcel ledbetter
By 2016 he would have been well into his 70's if we're thinking of the same weird Gene that worked at South Gate. He was at North Gate before that and other places in CS. I can see how his skill might be "fading" by then.
C1NRB
AG
Is this the guy that had Aggieland Barbershop above Loupot's on NG?
I'm thinking it isn't but can someone confirm? If it's not, what was that guy's name?
CharlieBrown17
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

By 2016 he would have been well into his 70's if we're thinking of the same weird Gene that worked at South Gate. He was at North Gate before that and other places in CS. I can see how his skill might be "fading" by then.

Has to be the same guy. Remember a dude in his 40s coming in to get a haircut one day while I was there because he was in town and had heard Gene was still cutting hair
HollywoodBQ
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

marcel ledbetter said:

Has to be the same guy. Remember a dude in his 40s coming in to get a haircut one day while I was there because he was in town and had heard Gene was still cutting hair
I've done that.
I had Mean Gene cut my hair before Muster 2000. Since that's why I was in town, he didn't even charge me.

Dude was weird as all get out but I did follow him from Northgate over to South Gate. I was always satisfied with my haircut. But, that was back when I loved having 4 finger whitewalls as short as possible.

When I moved to Austin, they wouldn't cut it that short. I couldn't find anybody in Denver to cut it short either. When I moved to California, I just let my hair grow out like a regular hippie.

I was never sure if Gene's stories about the "Nack a Sota" Indians were true or not.
marcel ledbetter
Nacka sota! That's him! I can almost hear his voice saying that.
EMY92
AG
C1NRB said:

I'm thinking it isn't but can someone confirm? If it's not, what was that guy's name?
I believe that was Jesse Medina. I used to get mine cut there.
JABQ04
AG
I still remember getting my haircut in the basement of the MSC. Not the best, but convenient sometimes.
wtr1975
AG
MSC Basement was where I had my first fish haircut in '71.
C1NRB
AG
Quote:

Yeah, that's right! Thanks!
AgLaw02
AG
BaitShack said:

Gene
Bobby
Lydia
Douglas

Oh man, the memories! Odd that they would come back so strong.

Bobby cut my hair before my wedding. Lydia was great too, and we all felt that fear the first time Mean Gene busted out that straight razor.
CharlieBrown17
AG
AgLaw02 said:

BaitShack said:

Gene
Bobby
Lydia
Douglas

Oh man, the memories! Odd that they would come back so strong.

Bobby cut my hair before my wedding. Lydia was great too, and we all felt that fear the first time Mean Gene busted out that straight razor.

That's wild they've been there that long, those same 4 were there during my time 13-18. Southgate closed sometime in 18 or 19.
Pea
Early 90s Mean Gene was cutting our hair at Northgate Barbershop right across from Holick's.
Used to wear GI issue jungle boots everyday if I recall... hard to understand most of the time, and yes... his eyes would light up as much ours when he pulled out the straight razor.

Used to have another barber by his side named Cecile... would mumble and really not too coherent. Had coke bottle glasses that must have weighed 5 pounds... and you would always wonder how the haircut would turn out.

As much as I make light of these 2 gents, they were always there ready to get to work. 2 characters that you'll never forget.

Good Americans.
Jock 07
AG
This thread brings back memories. I think Cecil as referenced above was the other old dude who cut hair at north gate that I recall circa early 00s
AgLaw02
AG
Pea said:

As much as I make light of these 2 gents, they were always there ready to get to work. 2 characters that you'll never forget.

Good Americans.
Wise words. There's something admirable about working hard for an honest living. Every one of them wanted to do right by every customer.
oldyeller
AG
EMY92 said:

C1NRB said:

Yep, that was Jesse. Jesse was still cutting hair above the Corner Bar until the winter storms two weeks ago. Stopped by last week and his door was shut and the entire floor along the hallway was covered with water and destroyed ceiling tiles. Sure hope all the memorabilia and stuff he had in his shop didn't get ruined. He was already having a hard time due to COVID.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.