Thirty years ago today - Aggie leads Desert Storm attacks

2,663 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 45-70Ag
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today in Aggie History:

Jan. 17, 1991: Col. George W. "John Boy" Walton, class of 1971, commanded an F-4G "Wild Weasel" Squadron ordered to knock out enemy radar systems in one of the first bombing missions of the Gulf War. "He was credited as the first American and one of the first Aggies to see action in the Persian Gulf War," according to Keepers of the Spirit by John A. Adams Jr.

https://www.airforcemag.com/article/0491voices/

Quote:

Day of the Weasels

Waves of F-4G Wild Weasels led the way into Iraqi-held territory for follow-on ground attacks by US Air Force and Navy attack planes at the outset of Desert Storm. "The Weasels keep the SAMs off the guys," said Col. Merrill "Ron" Karp, commander of the 35th TFW, George AFB, Calif., which flew missions out of an undisclosed country in the Persian Gulf region. "The F-15s keep the MiGs off us, and the jamming planes deal with the radars."

Selected to lead the Weasels into combat was Col. George "John Boy" Walton, a veteran whom Colonel Karp selected for the job because Colonel Walton had "respect for the enemy" but was "fearless."
Upon returning from his first mission over Baghdad, a visibly drained Colonel Walton described in detail the antiaircraft firestorm US warplanes dodged over Baghdad. "I saw one of the most fantastic fireworks demonstrations I've seen since years ago," he said. "Baghdad lit up like a Christmas tree."

With his face still creased from his oxygen mask, he sounded a sober note of determination, knowing the kind of antiaircraft fire that awaited his squadron on subsequent missions. "Now we have to buckle down and prepare," Colonel Walton said. "It's not over. We just have to keep the pressure on until the President says, 'Lay off."'"
Hey Nav
AG
My squadron arrived in the sandbox in August of 1990 and we were flying missions within 18 hours out of Masirah, Oman. (The Moon island Beach Club).

As I've mentioned previously, after the air war kicked up, we even had a beer rationing plan in place (although never implemented), as the pallets were getting full of silly stuff like parts for A-10s.

Seriously, this was the way to run a war. We sent a half million troops to the region, used air power to bomb the enemy back to the stone ages, and the overwhelming ground forces had few targets to kill.

And then we left.
Rabid Cougar
AG
A friend of mine. 2nd Lt. Michael Kelly M1A1 Abrams tank platoon leader for 3rd Platoon/C Company/4-66 Armor/3rd Brigade/3rd Infantry Division (attached as 1st Brigade/1st Armored Division)/VII Corps.

PanzerAggie06
AG
Yep, we definitely have not mastered the leaving part.
BQ78
AG
I thought this was going to be about Sgt. Pepper.
WBBQ74
AG
In the spring of '71, the aforementioned Mr. Walton decided to run across the BQ drill field to get to his car in the zip lot one Sunday afternoon. Bad choice. We caught up with him and surrounded his vehicle. He made another poor choice to roll down his window and try to negotiate a way out. He and the interior of his vehicle got VERY wet. Not a good choice to mess with ~50 or so motivated BQ fish with sh_t cans full of water.

Good bull has its price sometimes. He got to pay it.

I remembered the incident but never knew the name of the offending zip. Another '74 BQ fish bud of mine remembered and told me this back in '91 when Walton got shown on the tube. Small world. Hope he dried out and would enjoy a beer with him someday.
CanyonAg77
AG
I've often wondered if he was connected with the Walton of Walton Hall.

I knew a lady who was class of '74 and married into the Bolton family. She told of her mother-in-law inviting all m-i-l's friends over to meet her.

They were Mrs. Walton, Mrs. Milner, Mrs. Bizzel, etc.etc etc
Hey Nav
AG
https://www.airforcemag.com/30-years-after-desert-storm-feb-24/

30 years ago - G Day.
45-70Ag
AG
My grandfather is first cousins with chuck Horner. To listen to him talk about this is pretty amazing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.