Cheating scandal at West Point

3,443 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by neutics
munch96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/12/21/west-point-catches-70-cadets-worst-cheating-scandal-50-years/5856130002/

Quote:

Instructors initially determined that 72 plebes, or first-year cadets, and one yearling, or second-year cadet, had cheated on a calculus final exam in May. Those cadets all made the same error on a portion of the exam.

Recently concluded investigations and preliminary hearings for the cadets resulted in two cases being dismissed for lack of evidence and four dropped because the cadets resigned. Of the remaining 67 cases, 55 cadets were found in violation of the honor code and enrolled in a program for rehabilitation Dec. 9. Three more cadets admitted cheating but were not eligible to enroll in what is called the Willful Admission Program.
According to the article, the last cheating scandal there was in the 70s. I knew about the one in the 50s with their football team, but not that one....
MarathonAg12
At West Point, cadets learn about and prepare for the ethical demands of officership by living under the dictates of an Honor Code, which states: "A Cadet will not lie, cheat or steal, nor tolerate those who do."
DogCo84
AG
My dad had always wanted to go to West Point. He was the BN CDR for his HS ROTC unit, and was also an All-State football player. Army was a football powerhouse at the time and dad was recruited by the academy. Although dad had not been involved in any way, the black cloud caused by the Army football team cheating scandal of 1951 killed his (and others') athletics appointment.

He went through the normal appointment process one other time and wasn't selected. There's more to that story too, lol.

He later enlisted and went through Engineer OCS at Ft. Belvoir and served for about 10 years. This whole WP thing just reminded me of his story. He left us in 2010. I miss him.
74OA
AG
72 freshman cadets believe it's ok to cheat.

Strong evidence WP is accepting a lot of kids of questionable moral character.

Which means its applicant screening process is broken.
CT'97
AG
Texas A&M investigates 'large scale' cheating case

Quote:

Faculty reported concerns of cheating "on a very large scale" to the Aggie Honor System Office, after they noticed some students in the class answered online test questions too quickly. Later, faculty discovered entire exams posted on a "homework help" website that has become synonymous with cheating.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
Smeghead4761
Between this and the cheating kerfuffle here at A&M, my big takeaway is that online exams make cheating a lot easier, and thus a lot more tempting.

Cheating is a lot more challenging when you're physically in the classroom, with an empty bluebook and a pen or pencil.

I actually had a professor who required that bluebooks be turned in the class prior to the test. They would be marked and returned to the appropriate student at the exam. Failure to turn one in, and thus having to use one provided by the professor, meant a penalty on the test.

I had another prof who did things like having students start writing their answers on the second page, or flip it over and go from the former back page. Changed it up every time, so you couldn't try to bring in a bluebook already written in.
Wildman15
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

At West Point, cadets learn about and prepare for the ethical demands of officership by living under the dictates of an Honor Code, which states: "A Cadet will not lie, cheat or steal, nor tolerate those who do."
Not to de-value their Honor Code, but isn't that pretty much every university's honor code? "An Aggie does not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do"
MarathonAg12
Wildman15 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Not to de-value their Honor Code, but isn't that pretty much every university's honor code? "An Aggie does not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do"

I'm pretty sure we jacked it from them brother.

They also call their alumni Old Grads!

Sound familiar?
Diyala Nick
AG
This all reminds me of night land nav at OCS.
sharpdressedman
Cheating in the online environment is commonplace, even in medical school.

When caught, the favorite excuses are:
"I'm under intense pressure to succeed."
"My grades will determine my future opportunities."
"The cost of school is too high to fail."
"I can't let my parents down."
"Everyone else is doing it."

If the cheating was not so easy, it very likely would not be as widespread as it has become. Moreover, CV-19 provided the environment for elevating cheating to an art form.
chickencoupe16
AG
sharpdressedman said:

Cheating in the online environment is commonplace, even in medical school.

When caught, the favorite excuses are:
"I'm under intense pressure to succeed."
"My grades will determine my future opportunities."
"The cost of school is too high to fail."
"I can't let my parents down."
"Everyone else is doing it."

If the cheating was not so easy, it very likely would not be as widespread as it has become. Moreover, CV-19 provided the environment for elevating cheating to an art form.

None of those make cheating okay, but everyone else IS doing it. Or at least most. Online exams that are not open book/note only punish those that follow the rules. Most people are cheating in some way and there's no way to stop it other than in person exams.

It's akin to banning guns only hurting law abiding citizens.
PanzerAggie06
AG
Haha. Yep. Night land nav during my OCS days was pretty much a team event. Cheating scandals at the academies and other military schools occur from time to time. While I was at MCCC several students, around a dozen, got busted cheating. It happens. That it recently occurred is hardly evidence that todays upcoming officers are more morally deficient than previous generations.
APHIS AG
I can care less about West Point or any cheating that occurs there. To me, when they have an individual that the cadre and leadership knew was a practicing Marxist to not only graduate but to receive a commission a few years ago, is all I need to know about the values of the "new' West Point.
MarathonAg12
We literally had the same incident on the quad a few months later.

neutics
AG
APHIS AG said:

I can care less about West Point or any cheating that occurs there. To me, when they have an individual that the cadre and leadership knew was a practicing Marxist to not only graduate but to receive a commission a few years ago, is all I need to know about the values of the "new' West Point.

Yeah, let's judge an entire institution on one person
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.