Military base near Huntsville/Willis?

2,452 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by D2F1D0
Zombie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We just moved to Willis on the west side of I45. I have noticed a huge increase in blackhawks flying over at all times of the day headed north and south. Is there some sort of military base in this area? Is it possible they are being contracted out to hospitals in the area?
JABQ04
AG
Reserve aviation unit in Conroe.
BQ_90
AG
https://www.facebook.com/158AHBGhostriders/
Smeghead4761
And they probably like to fly to CS, just like the ones from Ft Hood do.
Rabid Cougar
AG
According to my son in Temple, the Army has restricted their pilots to a 100 mile distance from base on their training flights. He is friends/neighbors with several 47 and 64 pilots at Fort Hood. I think he said the rest of the branches are restricted to 30 miles. All COVID related.

BQ78
AG
Wow I knew COVID was airborne Ebola but 10,000 feet, color me astonished.
CT'97
AG
BQ78 said:

They are probably more worried about the landing for fuel and running to grab a bite to eat. On shorter flights that's not an issue.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
Zombie
The air traffic has really increased this past week. At times, it can be a blackhawk headed south every hour. Just today alone I have counted 7. Really really strange
Pirate04
AG
CT'97 said:

BQ78 said:

They are probably more worried about the landing for fuel and running to grab a bite to eat. On shorter flights that's not an issue.

This.
Pirate04
AG
You may live on the path for an instrument approach.
CharlieBrown17
AG
AF definitely isn't restricted to 30 miles.

I know at one point all the UPT bases were restricted to stopping at other mil fields only. Which at least sort of makes sense, you can pretty much guarantee anyone they interact with is following the DoD guidance that way.

Mileage doesn't make a lick of sense in the general government way. If it's 100,200, or 1500 miles you'll still be piling into a crew car, going to get food and interacting with restaurant staff/FBO staff only.
BQ93
AG
The unit from Conroe is constantly back and forth landing at Huntsville.
D2F1D0
AG
Completely unit dependent. Biggest commonality between organizations and locations is restriction from stop overs and leaving the airfield for food. That alone generally shortens the distance pilots will fly. Also, helicopter local areas are typically smaller closer to 75-100miles radius.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.