AGs in Korea?

2,459 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JABQ04
AggieHighFlyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey guys,

If anyone's in the ROK and wants to get together to watch the last few football games we have left, hmu! Obviously the covid restrictions may be a lim fac but i'm at Kunsan now and can go anywhere but Seoul. I've got a smoker I shipped over and can do brisket/ribs/whatever for some tailgating!
Jock 07
AG
What kind of wood can you find to smoke with in Korea?
AggieHighFlyer
AG
I get pellets shipped from Amazon. It's not expensive and they get here in like a week.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
I had a question...

I know you're over in Kunsan area but can you tell me about Camp Walker? The good? The bad? The ugly?

Looking at a job over there...
Smeghead4761
You really should uncapitalize that G in the title...I thought you were looking for Adjutant General people...
MarathonAg12
Langenator said:

You really should uncapitalize that G in the title...I thought you were looking for Adjutant General people...
Don't invite this guy over.....
LewisChilds
AG
Left Korea in August. I was at Walker sparingly but I had a team there. Small base relative to Humphreys but had all the necessities and they liked living in Daegu. If you aren't opposed to living in Korea generally, Daegu/Walker is good location.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
LewisChilds said:

Left Korea in August. I was at Walker sparingly but I had a team there. Small base relative to Humphreys but had all the necessities and they liked living in Daegu. If you aren't opposed to living in Korea generally, Daegu/Walker is good location.
how much do you think the cost of living there is? I would be a civilian if i did get the job, but how much would you think?
LewisChilds
AG
Korea isn't expensive to live in.......except for real-estate. Specifically areas where US military people reside and all of Seoul. Korean land lords actually quite like renting to US contractors because often times their company pays a years rent in a one-time payment. Will your employer be providing any housing allowance? If not, you will want to have some expectations management for the size and quality of housing you can afford depending on your salary. Outside of that buying groceries was often cheaper in the Korean markets but just be aware that your options are going to be very different than a Western market/grocery store. Public transportation is very cheap, reliable and easy to use. I found eating out and drinks to be cheaper than in the US. A huge bonus is how cheap it is to fly from Korea to other Asian countries. Vietnam was $200 round trip, Japan was $150, Thailand $400 etc. Hotels are cheaper in Korea and they have what they call a "Pension House" which can be a rented room or an entire house that are cheap but you may need a Korean speaker to help make reservations. I did a lot of weekend trips and stayed in perfectly decent hotels/pension houses for $35-75 a night. Thankfully Koreans are very accustomed to confused Americans that don't speak much of the language roaming about their country. They usually are helpful. I will say that gas is a lot more expensive but if you have base access you can get it much cheaper. Every base will have lots of cheap vehicles for sale. I bought 2001 Optima for $1.5K and drove it all over Korea for almost two years. When I left I sold it for scrap for $350. It required very little maintenance and even when I did have work done on it, it was cheap. FYI, Korean parking is much more narrow than in the US so if you plan on shipping your vehicle, I would think twice about sending over a big truck or SUV.
aggie2812-2
AG
Camp Stanley was fun! I miss living in Korea.
Green2Maroon
AG
Were you stationed there in the Army? I spent a year up at Camp Casey and would have died to have half as much freedom.
JABQ04
AG
A year in Korea was like a year in jail. I guess I'm glad I went but definitely glad it's over. Would have rather been in Iraq or Afghanistan

I will say I'd like to go back now that I'm out and see some stuff. My two trips to Seoul in that year made me want to see more of it and the country
MarathonAg12
We were LTs in Camp Casey.

It was like college again
Green2Maroon
AG
I enjoyed Germany a lot more but part of that was because we could practically go wherever we wanted and do whatever we wanted there. I was stationed in Friedberg, maybe 25 miles north of Frankfurt. Showed up when I was 18, right out of basic. Now I really want to go back again and see more of Europe after Covid.
LewisChilds
AG
JABQ04 said:

A year in Korea was like a year in jail. I guess I'm glad I went but definitely glad it's over. Would have rather been in Iraq or Afghanistan

I will say I'd like to go back now that I'm out and see some stuff. My two trips to Seoul in that year made me want to see more of it and the country
I don't know when you were there but USFK and 8A have done a lot to improve the quality of life. I barely ever spent a weekend on Humphreys and traveled internationally on every long-weekend I could. COVID naturally limited some of that but hopefully, we are on the backside of it.
Green2Maroon
AG
Wow it sounds like things have changed a lot since I was there back in 2005. 2ID was pretty damn restrictive.
JABQ04
AG
Casey/Hovey in 1/15 FA. December 2011-December 2012. It was very prison-esque. Hard to get passes to leave Area I. 0100 Curfew every night. Wanted to get out more and explore, but every trip had to be a day trip in area I if I didn't get a pass. (I think we restricted to the % of people available to "fight tonight") so maybe 3 dudes got a pass on weekends. Hiked Soyosan Moutain a few times, played a lot of soft ball and traveled to a few tournaments, but mostly drank a ton of beer and soju.

Food was good, people were nice, and if I was single I probably could have had a lot more fun IYKWIM!!
JABQ04
AG
I went o Humphreys once for a CoC salute (Salute Battery NCOIC). Let's just say the combination of the ville, plus a hot airfield the next day was not a good combo.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.