Special Forces question

1,890 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 2004FIGHTINTXAG
Patriot101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If the standards for training and such are lowered for say the Navy Seals, then why not just create another special forces unit under a new name that holds to the original higher standard?
Pro Sandy
AG
If you going to create a new SOF group, why not keep the original? Confused on your premise.
Trinity Ag
S
Patriot101 said:

If the standards for training and such are lowered for say the Navy Seals, then why not just create another special forces unit under a new name that holds to the original higher standard?

What exactly do you mean by "standards for training and such"?

Changing the way BUDS is structured? Or the method by which SEALS train for missions and operations once assigned?

Are BUDS standards the same as unit standards? What elements of BUDS are essential to "train" SEALS to perform their jobs once they have graduated, and move into tactical units? My guess is some, but actual "training standards" aren't what we are talking about.

What I suspect you mean is the element of BUDS that is a weed out haze to reduce the population of applicants through forced attrition - getting rid of the posers, wannabes, lame, lazy, and weak...(and the people the instructors just happen to not like for whatever reason.)

Is the current "standard" of forced attrition through physical exertion, exposure, and sleep deprivation, the best method for assessment and selection? Maybe...how much is "enough"? Has "enough" ever really been calculated, or is it just an accumulation of random things built upon over time?

I'm not a SEAL, and what I know about BUDS comes from documentaries about it. But I went through Ranger School in 1992, and the concept is the same. Some of the experiences were incredibly valuable. Some were worthless and demeaning.

Some were physically harmful and dangerous. Things have changed over time, usually as a result of people getting seriously injured or killed -- especially after the 4 students died of hypothermia in 1995.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Patriot101 said:

To answer your hypothetical. If you are saying that if BUD/S standards are lowered then why not create another SEAL type unit with the old standards.

The answer is it wouldn't happen because the Admiral that lowered the standards would be the same Admiral to make the decision to create the new unit with the old standards. That would make zero sense and would be completely contradictory to the intent and would not pass/get approved through the Navy force restructuring and manning nor by others within the Navy and DOD who would need to approve it.
CAVGrunt97
AG
There is nothing wrong with our SOF units. They are still elite and frankly, more capable than they have ever been. Sleep well at night.

We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live!
Patriot101
Thanks. My ignorance is showing and I'm ok with that. I'm primarily here to learn. Thanks for answering my questions. Godspeed.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
No problem. It's all good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.