First Soldiers Graduate Basic Training in WWII Throwback Uniform

1,282 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCoAggie03
Aggie1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/11/23/first-soldiers-graduate-basic-training-wwii-throwback-uniform.html?ESRC=eb_201124.nl

?itok=KNYEU6UN

Quote:

New soldiers at Fort Sill, Oklahoma were the first to graduate Army Basic Combat Training this month wearing the service's new Army Greens -- modeled after an iconic World War II uniform.
After completing the 10-week BCT course, about 200 soldiers from A Battery, 1st Battalion, 79th Field Artillery, which falls under the 434th Field Artillery Brigade, stood at attention at the Nov. 16 graduation ceremony dressed in the new Army Green Service Uniform, officials said in a release.

The significance of the iconic uniform -- a throwback to the "Greatest Generation's" Pinks and Greens -- was not lost on fledgling soldiers like Pvt. Rebeca Beaird, who recalled what she thought when she was first issued the new uniform.

"Soldiers who wear this uniform are going to be honored to wear them. Veterans who wore them will be happy to see us bring it back."

"The Army's greatest generation wore the iconic greens uniform when America was in the throes of World War II," Carter said, referring to Generals Dwight Eisenhower, Omar Bradley, and George Marshall.

The Fort Sill graduates were among the first recruits to receive the AGSU in October. Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri; Fort Benning, Georgia; and Fort Jackson, South Carolina are the next bases in line for trainees to begin receiving the AGSU, according to Army officials.
ABATTBQ87
AG
is that an all-woman outfit?
notex
AG
I mean, ok, but those were by far the worst uniforms we had @ TAMU in the mid 90's.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Complete with surgical masks from the 4077th MASH in Korea.
Rabid Cougar
AG
notex said:

I mean, ok, but those were by far the worst uniforms we had @ TAMU in the mid 90's.
In your opinion, which one was the best?
Midnights, pinks and service cover was bad assed.
74OA
AG
Not a big deal, but I don't particularly like it, makes soldiers look like a bunch of WWII movie extras.

Why such a deep reach-back--it's not like our Army doesn't have a distinguished combat history since WWII to draw inspiration from if a uniform change is necessary. <shrug>

BQ_90
AG
notex said:

Ours aren't, were not green.

Worst uni was winter uni. Tan shirts with pink pants
Teslag
AG
74OA said:

Not a big deal, but I don't particularly like it, makes soldiers look like a bunch of WWII movie extras.

Why such a deep reach-back--it's not like our Army doesn't have a distinguished combat history since WWII to draw inspiration from if a uniform change is necessary. <shrug>

We tried to go all the way back to the 1800's cavalry days with the ASU and ended up with blue pants and black jacket abomination.

The new ones are extremely popular and welcomed with the rank and file.
MarathonAg12
I can confirm that our current Soldiers, NCOs and Officers are thrilled to be wearing them. I just spoke with a 1SG, 11series type, who thinks that they are bad ass. As a current active duty Officer, I am looking forward to wearing them as well. The brown leather jump boots look awesome.
BCoAggie03
AG
The thing I find strange about the new look is that they have enlisted soldiers wearing officer uniforms. The enlisted uniforms from the WW2 era look completely different in color and cut.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.