What gear should I get?

1,956 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CT'97
Aggie118
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags. I am just starting off my Army career (13A) and always like to pick people's minds on the little nuances of Army life that you may not think of until you discover it, such as command philosophy and less importantly gear.

In this instance Id love to hear about gear that y'all have found to be very helpful in your Army career. Thanks!
MarathonAg12
Focus on your Artillery Tables and shooting distinguished.

Take care of your soldiers not your OER. Let your NCOs guide you.

Your platoon is family. Get to know EVERYTHING about them.

Welcome to the Profession of Arms!
JABQ04
AG
-Get a good headlamp with a red lens
- I went all geardo and bought tons of **** I ended up never using. If they still issue it the TAPS system with the new plate carriers is way more than adequate. Holds your 7 magazines, and the inside is one big pouch for maps, pens, markers, etc.... it was so good, when I left active duty I bought one for national guard. Plus IMO it's a slimmer profile for getting in and out of vehicles and other tight spaces.
- I'd maybe recommend a utility pouch to carry NODs if your unit doesn't have an SOP (we used our canteen carrier and canteen cup inside of sock for noise discipline and it worked great too). Also enough spaces to hold a handheld radio for dismount duty if needed (MBITR/Harrris)
- as a 13A always have sharpies, map markers, hand sanitizer and grease pencils
- get a good Write in the Rain book and a good mechanical
Pencil for it. Ball point Pens work great with them, but if it does rain pencils will still write

Good luck from a 13B.

Oh yeah. Grenade pouches work great to hold cans of dip. Always bring enough of that to field if you do partake. I'd bring a can a day plus 3 for FTXs. Always seems to be the one dude who brings one can for a two week exercise or one pack of smokes fro the same. Plus, and speaking from experience, giving your dudes a dip is good for morale.

-knee pads. I know your young but they're lifesavers. The big bulky issue ones are garbage. If you get those then go buy the skimmer ones, they work good enough and don't cut the circulation off to your legs.
Aggie118
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Focus on your Artillery Tables and shooting distinguished.

Take care of your soldiers not your OER.

Your platoon is family. Get to know EVERYTHING about them.

Welcome to the Profession of Arms!

I appreciate the encouragement!

For what it's worth I have made posts before asking for info in regards to being a good PL and command philosophy haha, just wanted to make one asking about gear in particular. That being said any advice in general is of course welcomed!

Just wanted to clarify that so it doesn't seem like I only care about that kind of stuff.
Green2Maroon
AG
Listen to your NCOs. That's probably the most important advice I can give a new officer.
bigtruckguy3500
Green2Maroon said:

Listen to your NCOs. That's probably the most important advice I can give a new officer.
Just remember, not all NCOs are created equal. I've had some that know what I want before I even know what I want and never settle for "good enough," and I've had others just do enough to skirt by.

I'm not in the Army, and definitely know very little about artillery or what kind of hearing protection you're issued. But make sure you invest in some good hearing protection. At your annual audiogram, take some interest in you numbers and keep an eye out for changes. Once you lose your hearing, there's no getting it back.
JABQ04
AG
Standard issue should be fine for an LT. No real reason for him to be on a gun during firing beyond BOLC. Even if your under a net during firing won't be that bad. But since they are cheaper now a good set of Peltors can't hurt.

OP, 100% yes keep tabs on your hearing during your annual testing. I didn't and that was my biggest complaint when I went to the VA to file for disability. However mine came from being blown up by an IED, and my M4 on patrols, and firing an AT 4 with no ear pro and not firing arty. I did get the 10% for tinnitus so I got that going for me.
Fly Army 97
Like most people, I've got a laundry list of stuff I keep for the field. I'll share just two.

- I made two sizes of plexiglass map holders - see below example (not mine). One small one to fly with and a larger one for planning/rehearsals/coordinating with HHQ/ground BDEs. Simple cut, tape, and butterfly clip project that takes a day. Update graphics as required. Otherwise, I also have (or order through your unit) lots of plastic covering for my maps to get graphics on and off as the fight progresses. You can buy these kits now, but they are rip offs for what you can get done in an hour at a hobby store/Home Depot.

- I always carry a slim 24-oz Yeti-like thermos and grab hot water where I can, and then let it sit till I need it. Hot tea and/or coffee goes a long way on day 5+ of an exercise and the tiredness kicks in. On a side note, if you are not a dipper, it will become easy to get into the habit once you get in. Having caffeine at the ready will help, which is hard sometimes in the field.

MarathonAg12
I actually enjoyed making the map boards in CCC. Ended up making a bunch for my classmates when they saw mine. Great for our follow on assignments.

As an Infantry guy:

-Good radio pouch for a Harris/MBITR (Tactical Tailor)
-Petzel Headlamp with Red Light (I pay more for higher lum)
-boots! I have always worn Nikes. I'm currently wearing salomons that are amazing. Lots of people like the Rocky S2V
-Never go move out on a patrol with your poly pro underneath your uniform, for sleeping or staying in place only. You'll burn up trust me.
-Darn Tuff Socks are the best

I'll think of more stuff later
GarryowenAg
AG
You're going to think drop leg holsters are badass and look cool, but I always found them cumbersome and they tended to be restrictive to my leg. I bought a clip-in/clip-out holster from Safariland that could transition between my IOTV and belt real easily. I've had this thing for almost a decade; love it.

Also, canteen pouches are great for holding nods when not actively wearing them.

To each their own regarding boots. I love my Nike boots, especially in field conditions.

Buy a woobie! You may not get one issued to you and it's always nice to have your own personal one.
Smeghead4761
I did most of my career in the black boot Army, so any advice I could give on gear is going to be quite dated. Plus, I was an 11A/59A (don't worry about what a 59A does. The lowest level they exist at is Division staff.)

That being said: some of the gear will be very much job and unit type dependant. An FSO is going to use different kit than a gun platoon leader or the FDC officer. And an FSO in a mechanized or Stryker unit is going to have a very different set of field gear than one in a light unit, because the light guy has to carry all his gear, while the other two have vehicles.

As far as general preparedness, know how to do your job if all of the electronic gizmos (AFATDS or whatever finally replaced it, GPS, etc) ALL fail. Now that the Army is doing warfare against peer and near-peer competitors again (high intensity conflict, as we called it back in the day), you have to be able to operate with your systems degraded or denied, because the Russians and ChiComs put a lot of effort into electronic warfare and other ways to screw up our fancy systems.

Back when I was a company grade officer, I always loved seeing our mortar guys training on doing firing solutions by hand, on paper. We had one particularly awesome 11C NCO who could use a slide rule.

So maybe get a slide rule and learn how to use it. (I grew up around lots of nuclear and electrical engineers, in the 1980s. They all went to school in the 50s and 60s and could still do their math with slide rules, even though they'd been using TI calculators for years and years. I have a good friend, retired FA officer, son and grandson of retired FA officers, who can still do firing data with a slide rule, and he retired in 2000. Although he needs one with larger numbers now days.)
Lobster Twins
AG
I wouldn't worry about buying your own kit at this point in time. Give it a bit with issued gear and embrace the suck for a while with what they issue...just like most will be doing. We had guys who loved all the snivel gear and they heard about it plenty. That stuff is fine down the road but right now concentrate on shoot-move-communicate and being the biggest badass in your unit. You will see, especially upon deployment, people will start recommending certain things to make your life better...types of boots, removing heel/toe cups, lights, snivel gear, etc Plenty of time for that later and you might even make better buying decisions once you know what your specific needs are out in the field. Good luck to you.
AnchorFoundation
Keep in mind many of your soldiers won't be able to afford all the sexy kit like you. If you don't use the same issued gear that they do, it will be more difficult to know their needs.

I look back on it... the Army gave me everything I ever needed and then some.
Aggie118
AG
Fly Army 97 said:

Like most people, I've got a laundry list of stuff I keep for the field. I'll share just two.

- I made two sizes of plexiglass map holders - see below example (not mine). One small one to fly with and a larger one for planning/rehearsals/coordinating with HHQ/ground BDEs. Simple cut, tape, and butterfly clip project that takes a day. Update graphics as required. Otherwise, I also have (or order through your unit) lots of plastic covering for my maps to get graphics on and off as the fight progresses. You can buy these kits now, but they are rip offs for what you can get done in an hour at a hobby store/Home Depot.

- I always carry a slim 24-oz Yeti-like thermos and grab hot water where I can, and then let it sit till I need it. Hot tea and/or coffee goes a long way on day 5+ of an exercise and the tiredness kicks in. On a side note, if you are not a dipper, it will become easy to get into the habit once you get in. Having caffeine at the ready will help, which is hard sometimes in the field.

This is awesome. Rather than all the "sexy" gear, I'm talking about more stuff like this. Rather than just having cool stuff, I'd like stuff that can help me do my job better, and I can hopefully share with my Soldiers.
Aggie118
AG
Thank you all for your suggestions and yalls pieces of advice, I appreciate them all.
Get Off My Lawn
Dumb favorite piece of gear: purple map pens. They show well in a red light, are unique, and don't conflict with other markings.

Oh, and a basic green notebook in a ziplock bags is 10x better than a write-in-the-rain.
Matt_ag98
Most have already posted it but for sure the headlamp, have the tactical Princeton Tec one myself that does red at first and have to long press to get white light, uses the standard tactical light 3V lithium battery I think, which I always take some with me but your unit may have them also, wish I had something like this when I was an LT instead of the green L shaped flashlight with screw on red lens!
CT'97
AG
Good socks and a good pair of boots.

You will be on your feet a lot and taking care of them is important. Go to clothing and sales and try on as many different pairs of boots as you can and find the ones that fit your feet the best. Boots vary from manufacture so there will be differences.

Look for merino wool socks from Darn Tough and always have an extra pair in your ruck.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
CT'97
AG
AnchorFoundation said:

Keep in mind many of your soldiers won't be able to afford all the sexy kit like you. If you don't use the same issued gear that they do, it will be more difficult to know their needs.

I look back on it... the Army gave me everything I ever needed and then some.
In general I agree with you and specifically in the case of load bearing equipment/pouches and such as well as snivel gear. Wear what the Army issues. If you rearrange that or get an extra grenade pouch or saw pouch to use as admin pouches that's fine.

I draw the line at boots and socks. I was infantry so that was stressed with everyone and I know my NCO's told all our guys to buy good socks and not wear the ones issued so I was just doing what the NCO's told the troops to do.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.