ARNG/Reserves at 30

1,297 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ccb13
ccb13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quick question for everyone here:

I was in the Corps in school (RV/major unit commander), but was D&C. I've been in Houston since graduation working as an engineer in oil and gas. I'm wondering about joining the reserves or guard at 30 and looking to get some advice from somewhere other than walking into a recruiter's office. I'm especially interested in aviation units. Thanks in advance for any info/advice provided. We can also get in touch outside the forum if anyone wants to ask a few more questions to help point me in the right direction.

Gig 'em
AGhistorian
There are a lot of variables involved. Officer or Enlisted? Then the whole Guard or Reserve issue. If you think you may move out of state at some point in your career, Reserve may be better for mobility purposes. If you have a masters degree in your field you may even consider the Army Reserve Civil Affairs 38G program https://talent.army.mil/job/civil-affairs/

They are willing to Direct Commission people with the specialties listed on the website. This means you skip some of the more basic training and go directly to your specialty course.

Aviation unit officer positions are also a bit unique, I know some folks on here have experience with the processes, but there is an interview at some point and you have to be accepted by the unit, as long as they have a vacancy.

Like I said, if you can include a bit more about what you are thinking about I think people will be able to offer up some more specific advice. For example the Officer pipeline for the Guard and the Reserve is a bit different at times (State OCS vs Federal OCS etc...). If you are going enlisted the pathways are pretty much the same.
ccb13
AG
I'm more interested in commissioning. Sorry I should have made that clear in my original post.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Air Force not army and active duty not reserves but a flyer.

Had a lot of reserve/guard friends at UPT though due to being married already.

The process for them, at least in the Air Force, was similar to rushing a frat. Took reaching out and having to come in for in person, multi day interviews. Typical sounded like the squadron would have a group come in for an interview and go out drinking to see how you handled yourself in a non interview situation/to see if you're a bro. Then the next day would be a board interview. I know one of my bros in the San Antonio unit brought booze in a few times and came into the squadron multiple times. The more desirable the jet/location or both will require more work and luck.

If you do get picked up, you'll probably have a wait of 6+ months to get commissioned and then will be on active orders for close to 2 years depending on the plane/service for training

Pirate04
AG
Army Aviation Reservist here. It is true that to come into the Guard/Reserve, you have to be accepted into the unit first. They are the ones paying for your flight school slot. Reserve aviation has a finite number of duty stations, so you would have to locate one first near where you want to live. Also, we only have Chinooks and Blackhawks. Since you'll head to flight school already in a slot for that airframe, it is best to decide which you would like to fly. It is easier to transfer around in the different Reserve units than from state to state in the Guard.

Guard is a little different. It is more of a 'good ol' boys club.' Not saying that's bad, you can make A LOT of connections for a career later in life, but it could make things difficult coming on board fresh off the street. They have units in (almost) every state, with all airframes available, Chinook, Blackhawks, Apaches, and Lakotas. They also have a different mission goal and get tasked with cool stateside missions all the time.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions however, I am a warrant officer so I may not have all the answers to your questions about commissioning. But if you wanted to discuss the WOFT program, I might could help! Also keep in mind, there are two paths for Commissioned officers in aviation. 15 series are strictly aviators, whereas 67 series are med service but can go to flight school within a MEDEVAC unit then slip into a med role further in their careers.

I hope this helps give you some of the basics! Good luck!
ccb13
AG
Thanks for the great info guys. I don't have a subscription here so I can't message. What's the best way to get in contact and talk a little more offline?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.