37 years ago 23 October 1983

994 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by drums
usmcbrooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The first suicide bomber detonated a truck bomb at the building serving as a barracks for the 1st Battalion 8th Marines (Battalion Landing Team BLT 1/8) of the 2nd Marine Division, killing 220 Marines, 18 sailors and 3 soldiers, making this incident the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since the Battle of Iwo Jima in World War II and the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Armed Forces since the first day of the Tet Offensive in the Vietnam War.

Semper Fi brothers, may you continue to rest in peace.
drums
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Side note to that story. My brother was on a gator type ship, off the coast (within sight of the shoreline) when that happened. It was his birthday. There was much confusion in the immediate aftermath, and it was decided to assemble a bunch of sailors, and arm them to go ashore as security if needed. M.y brother was assigned to one of those teams, and they all mustered on the flight deck, and weapons were issued. The Navy at that time basically refused to do any small arms training in boot camp, or anywhere else either, because the officers were afraid of folks accidentally shooting each other, and they didn't want to spend the money on time and training. While everyone was standing there on the flight deck, my brother was having to show everyone where the safety on there rifles were, and how to load and unload the weapons, and a very cursory introduction to the concept of a sight picture. Eventually powers that be decided no one needed to go ashore, and instead created a roving patrol with a bag of hand grenades to walk around the weather decks, and throw a grenade into the water every so often to discourage divers.
I sure hope things have changed in terms of training.
I am also sorry for your loss. So many young people have lost their lives while serving our country, and not all in declared wars or official combat.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.