Veteran Status

2,035 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ArmyTanker
mrad85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is a feel good for me at least concerning my dad.

Long story, hopefully short.
I was talking to my dad yesterday and the subject of being a veteran came up. I wanted to ask him why he never used military benefits for my college. He and my mom skimped and helped me get through, but it always made me wonder.

He was too young for Korea, and basically too old to be drafted in Vietnam, but he did enlist in the Texas National Guard in probably around 1960. He retired with about 34 years and gets benefits etc.

He told me that technically he is not a veteran because he never served on active duty in his entire tenure with the NG. In fact, he does not have a dd214.
He could have been called up, but they never were. He said it really didn't matter to him. He loved his time in the guard and all the opportunities it provided him.

He told me that it always bothers him when people ask if he's a veteran, and he usually would just say "I don't know".

Thanks to the google machine, I did some looking and found that in late 2016, a law was passed recognizing him and folks in similar circumstances a "Veteran".

I called him this morning to make sure he knows that he can say he is a veteran. I think he almost cried and that is something I have never seen my dad do

JABQ04
AG
So he gets TX National Guard retirement but he didn't consider himself a veteran? The National Guard does suck with the version of the DD214, (it's the NGB-22) and I'm still waiting on mine going on three years. Fortunately I guess, I did 8 years active so I have a DD-214. Ive heard of guys who served during the Cold War not considering themselves true vets. That's a shame. Those guys and girls were at times close to WWIII with the Russkies. That terrifies me to no end. Id rather face Al Qaeda and the Taliban then the Reds. They chose to serve when many didn't and fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how they feel) they weren't needed to go to war.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

I wanted to ask him why he never used military benefits for my college.
He may not have had that option. I'm not knowledgeable enough on his time period and if NG members were eligible for things like the GI Bill.

There have been periods where the educational benefits were not nearly as good as they are now.

In my case, I think the Hazelwood Act (the change that allowed benefits to used by your children) passed about one minute after my youngest daughter finished grad school

(And yes, if he was in the National Guard for 30+ years, he is definitely a Veteran.)
F4GIB71
My wife served 10 years in the Guard but never did the 180 days active duty to be considered as a Veteran for VA benefits. Texas recognizes her as a Veteran as her DL and LTC reflect her Veteran status (NGB22). The only thing I would like would be for her to have burial benefits. I plan to be buried at Ft Sam cemetery, and she can be buried there as my spouse. Seems that she earned it herself. We can have the headstone engraved Major Texas ANG reflecting her service, but that is on our own, no different from adding something like loving wife and mother.
Hey Nav
AG
https://www.nationalguard.mil/News/Article/1038989/guard-and-reserve-members-receive-veteran-status/#:~:text=ARLINGTON%2C%20Va.,federal%20status%20outside%20of%20training.

I don't understand the logic of excluding those NG members with less than 20 years of time.
74OA
AG
I don't know a thing about this, but is the lack of veteran status/benefits because the Guard are state employees not federal servicemen?
Aggie Infantry
AG
28 years
9 Texas NG
19 USAR

4 deployments
- Bosnia 1998 (10mo)
- Iraq 2003-2004 (13mo)
- Iraq 2008-2009 (10mo)
- Afghanistan 2013-2014 (10mo)

1 CONUS Mobilization
- Ft. Sam Houston 2005-2006 (6mo)

I have a Class of 1986 buddy who went USMC Active Duty (21yrs) and never deployed. Intel guy who spent most of his time in dark basements.

My youngest brother did 15yrs Active Duty with the USAF (a viable alternative to military service) and never deployed (missile guy - so, somewhat understandable).
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

My youngest brother did 15yrs Active Duty with the USAF (a viable alternative to military service) ...
You so funny.

I wish I had a nickel for every time a trooper jumped out of my plane or brought them food or ammo or medicine. Always treated airborne like they were my family, and did my utmost , in my viable alternative to military service, to put them on time, on target.
F4GIB71
They tend to appreciate Close Air Support as well...
Hey Nav
AG
GIB,

Just want to thank you for your viable alternative to military service.
Moy
Do National Guardsmen not receive a DD-214 for discharge from initial active duty for training?

How about TDY?

Seems to me that it makes more sense to base a designation on retirement points earned as opposed to continuous days served.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
I remember in the Summer of 1966, a New York State Reserve unit flew their F 100's to my base in Germany for their two week boys night out. All of the permanent party airmen did not go off base for two weeks. Those guys were crazy. Fights, bar room distruction, etc. Our Air Police were placed on 12 hour days to keep up. We all felt they should have spent the two weeks in Vietnam and the war would have been over.

After the first week some of the German bar operators shut down until they left.

Those were my dealings with the Reserves.

EW2
S
I consider anyone who raised their hand, took their oath and completed basic a veteran. Think of all the guys who signed up, trained, shipped out and died within a year of joining. It's all about the needs of Uncle Sam and where he sends you. There's people in the Coast Guard with combat experience and people with 20+ years active duty USMC who have never been deployed to a combat zone. Willingly signing up to defend this great nation and what it stands for is what people thank you for. I served 5 years active enlisted USN with 4 years of consecutive sea service but only one non-combat deployment. Tell your dad I said thank you for his 34 years of service to our country during a time when the entire world was worried about nuclear war between two of the most powerful military's to ever exist.... Yes, he absolutely is a veteran.
ArmyTanker
Lone Star North said:

I consider anyone who raised their hand, took their oath and completed basic a veteran. Think of all the guys who signed up, trained, shipped out and died within a year of joining. It's all about the needs of Uncle Sam and where he sends you. There's people in the Coast Guard with combat experience and people with 20+ years active duty USMC who have never been deployed to a combat zone. Willingly signing up to defend this great nation and what it stands for is what people thank you for. I served 5 years active enlisted USN with 4 years of consecutive sea service but only one non-combat deployment. Tell your dad I said thank you for his 34 years of service to our country during a time when the entire world was worried about nuclear war between two of the most powerful military's to ever exist.... Yes, he absolutely is a veteran.
My sentiments exactly. Please convey that we appreciate his service to the country. All of us who serve give Uncle Sam a blank check which the nation will cash in for various reasons. I don't blame those who never saw war or combat because that is what it is. Perhaps it just was not meant to be.
ArmyTanker
74OA said:

I don't know a thing about this, but is the lack of veteran status/benefits because the Guard are state employees not federal servicemen?
Please bear in mind I am trying my best to illuminate the situation but I am no expert. I have read the legal definition for veteran status is 180 days of consecutive active duty days. Having said that, there are probably other legal definitions for different intent and purposes. NG called up to support the state are considered state employees and do not get credit for active duty time. If I am wrong then I hope someone will set me straight.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.