Uniform question for you Corps historians

1,546 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by OldArmy71
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On another thread there's an outfit picture from the '55 Aggieland and on a series of e-mail films of the '61 TCU Corps trip is being discussed. What's caught my eye is there is no gold on the seniors hats. When did that come on line?
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Trench55
AG
I'm class of '65. I remember the Corps going to a gold hat band for seniors. It was either my junior year or my senior year. I can check m old annuals to be sure. I know as a senior I wore a gold hat band.
aggiejim70
AG
Thanks, that makes sense, as I recall the seniors my fish year, fall of '66, with it. By the way if you are class of '65,
you are probably in that film of the '61 TCU Corps Trip.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Trench55
AG
aggiejim70, I guess it depends on what's included in the film. If it was the parade downtown and included the entire parade, then probably. I was a fish that year in company F-1. That means I would have been buried in the middle of the formation and probably impossible to identify.
Trench55
AG
aggiejim70, I pulled out my old annuals, and the gold hat bands were introduced in the '62-'63 school year.
BQ78
AG
Speaking of '55, my dad used to say that fish had to wear stiff garrison caps like the seniors wear today and that seniors crushed their caps. BTW he hated the change, but when did that occur?
aggiejim70
AG
A little closer to home uniform change. If you're BQ '78 then you were a fish in the fall of '74. The BQ class of '74 were the first ones to wear the "Band Shield" all four years. They were designed by a classmate of mine, and introduced in the spring of 1970. Prior to that, the FTAB didn't wear shields. A lot of us just raised hell over the change. Kinda ridiculous looking back. By the time you got there, it was like they had been around since 1876.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
TXAGBQ76
AG
Are you talking the maroon background with bugle banner worn the shoulder epaulets? If so, CO 76 fish had them all four years.
aggiejim70
AG
That's correct, but the seniors your fish year, the class of '73, didn't wear them as fish until they were introduced in the spring of 1970. By the way, should our paths cross, you have a standing offer to let me buy you a beer or a cup of coffee. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the seniors when you were a fish, that were fish when I was a senior.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
OldArmy71
AG
I'd like to see this photo and the video. Do you have a link? Thanks!
aggiejim70
AG
As stated, the photo is on another Military thread. As it happens, the film was put on e-mail by the '71 BQ's. Let me see if I still have it.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
OldArmy71
AG
Thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.