Shut Down The Corps for the 2020 Fall Semester

2,611 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgLaw02
FstGenMx199
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This message goes out to anyone and everyone who cares about the Corps in any way shape or form. It goes out to the thousands and thousands of cadets who have passed through the arches and hallways of this great institution of leaders, to those who are proud to call themselves an aggie, and to everyone that wants to continue seeing the Corps create the Leaders of Tomorrow.

Due to the global pandemic referred to as COVID-19, this year the Corps of Cadets stopped caring about its cadets and it's Corps Vision Statement, that "The Corps of Cadets develops well-educated leaders of character prepared for the global leadership challenges of the future".

The Corps was completely unprepared to handle the COVID-19 pandemic while cadets were forced to come back to campus or have their military contracts and scholarships taken away.

From the moment FOW started, cases had already been reported of cadets testing positive for COVID-19. Nonetheless, they disregarded this fact and continued. Once everyone came back, they realized it would not be as easy maintaining COVID regulations as they had thought. Changes to the corps system started rolling in continuously which completely changed our institution into nothing but a husk of what it used to be, sacrificing our values, health, development, and careers in order to stay open.

The changes included multiple restrictions that go against our vision statement stated above.
No more training inside the dorms of any kind, no more pushing, posting up in the hallway, corrections, or pre-formation activities such as a fallout hole. This does not create an environment of adversity and challenge for cadets which gives the freshman a false sense of what the corps really is, allowing those who would have otherwise left after they realized it was not for them to stay and believe this is how it will always be.

Physical training was restricted as well with the most notable and controversial change being that no one is allowed to run. Yes, you read that correctly, we as a military and leadership institution are not allowed to run. Almost no one received a reason and the only one most cadets heard was related to "shin splints". PT is now only allowed 3 times a week meaning Mondays and Fridays there is no more PT.

We are forced to attend formations with no real training involved pre-formation then we return to our dorms since now we are not required to attend Duncan dining hall for any meal, which honestly is better than the long lines and waiting time we had to go through to collect plates to take back to our dorms in the first couple of weeks of class, some of which included maggots in the food which cadets were told not to talk about.

The constant changes to training, regulations, and rules keep all the cadet leadership wondering what will be restricted next in a haze of last-minute changes. At this point, most cadets do not understand why we are even open since nothing related to developing our minds, bodies, and leadership is really allowed or efficient in any way.

Complete outfits have been sent home because of COVID cases and others have been left without most leadership present because of quarantine and COVID self-isolation. It has come to a point where some cadets are being disciplined for having to quarantine which is just outrageous.

This is not a semester where we can create leaders, but one where the whole corps culture can be changed and softened like never before seen to a point where many would just call us a frat in uniform with no real purpose or tradition.

One thing, however, has not changed, and from what has been said it is most likely the biggest reason we are still here. Football, we are not allowed to run or be in groups of more than 10 people, but the corps is still planning on having corps runs and march-ins for football games as well as having us go, as far as we have heard so far. We are required to go support players who do not even care about us such as Kellen Mond who called to defund the corps and called us racists, but we cannot even support ourselves and develop as leaders. While football is one of the greatest traditions of the Corps it shouldn't be the only reason we stay open, meanwhile all leadership, mental, and physical training is heavily restricted because of COVID regulations yet it magically will disappear for the football games.

We want to develop ourselves and our peers, but in this environment, all we are doing is dressing up in uniform and preparing for football games. If it is allowed to continue these changes will become normal to this new class of fish and by next year the corps as we know it will finally be completely dead turning into a normal organization like all others on campus and even the phrase "Old Army is dead" will turn into "Army is Dead".

A petition has been created to get the attention of the Commandant, the University, and all former cadets. I only hope to bring more attention to this so that we don't lose that which we love, and that is The Spirit of The Corps.

Change.org petition
https://www.change.org/p/greg-abbott-shut-down-the-corps-of-cadets?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_24699193_en-US%3A5&recruiter=1128606384&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=share_petition
JABQ04
AG
If you are a current cadet just quit. Welcome to the real world where all this **** is being made up as we go anyways.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
What did General Ramirez say when you discussed your concerns with him?
Hey Nav
AG
https://www.airforcemag.com/air-force-pt-testing-delayed-until-jan-1-2021/

Quote:

The Air Force will not resume physical fitness testing across the service until at least Jan. 1, 2021, as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact the military, top service leaders announced.
2020 is a tough year. Who knows when things will get better. Flexibility is something we all have to embrace.
Rabid Cougar
AG
No fans in the stands at Annapolis (the Mormon's out trained the Middies btw) but Cadets were allowed at West Point. Not sure about Air Force.

Midshipmen and Cadets are not allowed off campus, period. Corps stays on the Quad. Maybe that is the answer.

Hey Nav
AG
USAFA is in the Mountain West - I believe the MW canceled the football season. They have not played this season yet , anyways.

Maybe the Mountain West will follow the B1G and start up their season.

Quote:

Midshipmen and Cadets are not allowed off campus, period. Corps stays on the Quad. Maybe that is the answer.
I don't actually know what students at A&M are doing today - are they going to class in person or is it all/some distance learning? Apologies for being so out of the loop.

So, naturally, for the Corps to stay on the Quad, it will have to all be education via the computer. The academies can isolate a lot easier - it's a different dynamic. Again, it sucks this year, and I totally acknowledge that it sucks for current students and Corps members.
Warrior 66
There is so much misinformation in this post by the OP that I honestly don't know where to start.

What I will say is that the Corps is FAR better prepared for the current COVID-19 environment than any other organization on campus. Our entire staff and those of the ROTCs spent the entire Summer planning and preparing for this school year, and ensuring that we could still have a Corps, despite the challenges that we knew COVID-19 would present. We partnered with many organizations on campus in determining the best way to attack this, including the Health Science Center, the University Health Center, and the School of Public Health, and Residence Life. Our goal was to ensure we could still have a Corps this year, despite the many challenges that we knew we would face with COVID-19.

Thus far that planning has paid off, as the positivity rate among cadets is FAR lower than that of the university as a whole. Not a single cadet has been hospitalized due to COVID-19, and we have not had a single cadet get seriously ill due to COVID-19.

To be clear, there have not been "complete outfits" sent home due to COVID-19. ONE (1) outfit had a large number of cadets test positive relative to the overall size of the outfit, and the Health Center recommending quarantining that outfit to avoid further spread. That outfit quarantined for 2 weeks, and is now back on the Quad, with no health issues.

We just actually got the word that the entire Corps would attend the football games, so any reference to "football being the biggest reason we are still here" is completely wrong. And no, there will NOT be Corps Runs this year. We will conduct the march-ins on campus (we will not be allowed to march-in to Kyle Field due to COVID-19, so this was another way we adapted to overcome that challenge), but with the same social distancing that we maintain at formation twice a day. The Corps will still play a big part of the game day experience, even in a COVID-19 environment.

Duncan Dining Hall was a problem at the start of the school year, but we heard the complaints, discussed with Chartwells, and now Duncan chow is probably the best on campus. My staff and I have attended chow since the beginning of the school year, and since Duncan changed their operation, the food is much better quality, with plenty of quantity, and the cadets have reported that they are pleased with the changes.

Running is certainly allowed at PT, although we did curtail running for a week to address the large number of injuries we saw among our cadets. Some outfits were running 5+ miles at a rapid pace the first week of school, and that led to a large number of injuries among our cadets. And any doctor will tell you that running more than 3-4 times a week is not necessarily good for you - especially if you are not used to running. In 31 years in the Army I never ran 5 times a week. Yet apparently that is what the OP feels is "necessary" to be considered "old army." He has a lot to learn about how to do truly effective organized PT in a graduated manner.

Rather than complain about everybody's efforts to try to make all of this work in a very challenging environment, why not try to be part of the solution, and offer some recommendations that you think are viable? What I see in this post is a lot of whining, but NOT much leadership - and certainly no recommendations - other than "shut the Corps down." I guess we have failed in developing the OP into a leader who can rise to the challenge and develop solutions to problems rather than just complain about them. Too bad.

As we told the Corps leadership at the beginning of the school year, it WILL de different this year, it WILL be challenging, and it WILL take leadership and a positive attitude to get through all of this. But we are ALL trying to make this work, to have a Corps of Cadets this Fall, and to try and maintain a sense of "normalcy" amid a very challenging global pandemic - and the many rules and policies we must follow as a result. The good thing is that the majority of cadets I have talked to and seen on a daily basis are doing it right every day - and making the best of the situation they have been thrust into - just like we all have.

Want to discuss with me and recommend some viable solutions, please contact my office at (979)845-2811 and I'm happy to discuss with you - with NO repercussions. I'm ALWAYS looking for good recommendations, and your fellow cadets have presented many to me this year that we have already implemented. Rather than complain on TexAgs, try acting like a mature. professional adult and come discuss with my staff or me. We WILL listen.

"Leaders think and talk about the solutions. Followers think and talk about the problems." ~ Brian Tracy

Beat the Hell Outta Vanderbilt! AND COVID-19!
cavjock88
AG
General Ramirez, thanks for the clarifying post, all the hard work, taking the cadet's safety into account, all while maintaining as best a normal regimen of training as possible and for soldiering on in the face of an unanticipated and crazy time. It is appreciated.

To be honest, with all that has been going on, I was doubtful there would be a Fall Corps semester. That y'all are pulling it off needs to be truly commended. Only way the Corps should be shut down is if A&M shuts down.

P. S. Lee Hassman was my fish Ol' Lady. Thanks for all the accolades he has gotten. They are definitely deserved. That too is greatly appreciated and shows the integrity of the current Corps command. He would be proud of what y'all are doing.
Jock 07
AG
I believe you're lost. This forum might be more your speed to scream about the sky falling with all the other chicken littles
https://texags.com/forums/84
HTH
CT'97
AG
I have been on campus on regular weekday mornings this semester at 6AM and can tell you that Spence park and the surrounding areas are full of cadet outfit's conducting PT. My daughter runs cross country at AMCMS across from campus and when I drop her off for practice I come over and do my own workout. I can tell you that hearing and seeing the cadet's PT has been a nice motivator for me.

To the original poster, you state "sacrificing our values, health, development, and careers in order to stay open." You then go on to rail against PT restrictions and very little else. What values are being sacrificed? How is your health in jeopardy? What development are you not getting? How in the world is your career being affected?

I feel you have mistaken PT for training and do not understand what development is. I also suspect the original poster has mistaken falling out 30 minutes before chow formation and smoking the fish until they cannot do another push up or running them until they cannot keep up for an actual PT plan. You have an entire building full of NCO's across the street who can give you very detailed instruction on how to conduct an actual PT plan. I suggest you approach one of them and get some advice.

If anything, this year will make you a better leader as it will teach you to be flexible in the face of adversity. Remember, the enemy always gets a say in the outcome. Your perfect plan will always have to be changed. The more comfortable you become with adapting the better you will do in your chosen field.

Finally, if you are going to commission into the military do not ever use a public forum like this to bring out a unit issue. Consult with your fellow officers, ask you Sr. NCO's for information and advice, and if you still feel something is being done improperly take it up the chain of command.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

I can tell you that hearing and seeing the cadet's PT has been a nice motivator for me.
I'm a bit jealous. I'm an old guy and could use some motivation like that. Thanks for sharing.

The rest of your post - big thumbs up. You offered some very good advice.
Prexys Moon
AG
my son is a fish and loves it. He doesn't have anything to compare it to. His outfit has had some positives. He was not positive but was "exposed" so he had to quarantine for 14 days. Came home and he's done fine. Goes back in the morning and won't skip a beat. If you are comparing it to the past, yes, it is different. But he and his buddies don't know anything different.
jelpasoaggie
Thanks General Ramirez?. I very much appreciate all the you, your staff and the Corps of Cadets are doing in this difficult time. Say hello to Colonel Stebbs for me. Take care.
stoneyjr78
AG
BG Ramirez Thank you for your response. Great job with the corps in a trying time. For the original poster, stop listening to "barracks lawyers" and pay attention to your chain of command. Your conduct and example is how the fish learn about the corps. They can learn who not to be or who to aspire to be. Right now, you are showing them who not to be-someone without facts, a complainer, a lack of knowledge of the chain of command, and a lack of loyalty to an organization to which you belong. Mission accomplishment. Welfare of the troops. Get an education. Keep your cadets healthy. Their experience has some different requirements than usual but no less important. If you are getting a commission, your soldiers health and safety will be a large component of your daily life, from hygiene to mental health. The military used to lose more soldiers to disease than combat and later to traffic accidents than combat. It's hard to be deployable without a full contingent of healthy soldiers. Start learning about reality and leave distorted notions behind. When I was a child I spake as a child, i understood as a child, I thought as a child, I as a child, but when I became a man I put away childish things. 1Cor13:11.
jelpasoaggie
I don't want my prior message to be misinterpreted. Bad typist here. That should have been - Thank you General Ramirez!
CanyonAg77
AG
You do know you can edit your post?
CanyonAg77
AG
I appreciate General Ramirez coming on an answering these posts.

To the OP, the only constant in the Corps, and in life, is CHANGE.

I'm sorry your Corps is not the same as my Corps. In a lot of ways, I'm sorry that my Corps was not the Corps of the 1930s or the 1950s.

But my Corps could not have existed in 1977, had we done everything as they did in 1937. The Corps of 2017 would have been disbanded, had they pulled some of the stunts my Corps did in 1977. (Joe was one of my underclassmen, I'm sure he can attest to that)

And the Corps of 2020 has to evolve, adopt, and overcome challenges that could not have been foreseen even in 2017.

Cadets no longer live in tents. They no longer wear West Pont gray uniforms. They no longer routinely drill with rifles. Bryan is not 12 miles away on the trolley.

Suck it up, do the best you can under the situation you have. Enjoy the cadet experience. You can b**ch constantly, and have your friends melt away, or you can work hard, carry your weight (and then some), support your classmates, study hard, and be a positive influence on your non-reg classmates.

Do so, and you'll come out in 4 years with amazing experiences, and even more so, amazing friends.
aggiejim70
AG
When I was a child I spake as a child, i understood as a child, I thought as a child, I as a child, but when I became a man I put away childish things. 1Cor13:11. This always comes to mind in regards to my number one Aggie pet peeve.....The bozo a year or two out of school that always seems to have the seat in front of me in the east stands of Kyle Field and wants to stand up the whole game and then give me a lecture on tradition. But that's another story.

Amen and amen to Canyon's response. Seems like we get a post like the OP every couple of months. Something is changed from from the way it was, the Corps is going to hell, and then the commandant addresses the issues raised. I've even got a canned response which I could cut and paste from the last go round

I'm not here to question the OP's love or concern for the Corps or TAMU. I'll concede the point that it's been fifty years since I was in the Army, but I don't think this has changed since then, since Washington at Valley Forge or when Alexander invaded Persia. In a military unit, like the Corps of Cadets, once the commander has made a decision, it's your job to implement that decision, not carp and backbite trying to prove your alternate point of view was correct.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
74OA
AG
"Nothing is impossible for those who don't have to actually do it."
AgLaw02
AG
I trust the Corps leadership, starting with the Commandant. Will they reach the ideal solution 100% of the time? Of course not.

There are no solutions. There are only trade offs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.