The Sgt. Major that earned the Medal of Honor

2,093 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Colonel A. 1976
marcel ledbetter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been out of the service long enough to be out of touch with changes in the Army, but I just noticed his uniform. I had heard something about bringing that uniform back, but this is the first time I've seen it. It looks a lot better than the old green Class A's from my time.

Also, is his age typical of a Sgt. Major these days, or do JSOC guys make rank that much faster? I always remember Sgt Majors as grizzled, old, gray headed guys with whiskey-cigarette voices packing m-60's on their shoulders as they ran pt.

I guess I'm getting old.
Fly Army 97
The Army Green Service Uniform is finally out and not required until 2027, but I'll gladly wear it because 1) I like it 2) prefer to wear that over the service uniform (blue) 3) I can afford it.

The SGMs, Payne, is a Sergeant Major, not a Command Sergeant Major, but without looking at it resume, I'd assume he is close or about to become one. He is around 19 years of service. These days, CSMs (not staff Sergeant Majors) are chosen from a centralized board. They can't stay in CSM billets indefinitely, which seemed the case long ago. CSMs always seemed real old to me too until I had a CSM of my own in command. Now they seem more human and younger, even if they are still bad asses.
Buck Turgidson
Yes, that is by far the youngest looking Sgt. Major I've ever seen. Seems like a serious badass. Glad he survived and is on our side.
Moy
Sgt Major at 36 sounds unreal. He must be an amazing trooper. The Sgt majors I remember were much older....... I remember one being forced to retire at 60, crying like a baby in front of the battalion during the retirement ceremony.
Buck Turgidson
Moy said:

Sgt Major at 36 sounds unreal. He must be an amazing trooper. The Sgt majors I remember were much older....... I remember one being forced to retire at 60, crying like a baby in front of the battalion during the retirement ceremony.
Yes, it seems like the kind of guy who will stick around long enough to make Sgt. Major is usually a lifer who loves it in the military and never wants to leave. I had a Sgt. Major during my brief stint at the guard unit in Bryan who was like that. Big old dude who really treated his men well and clearly loved being out in the field. Even though we were in the era of Kevlar helmets, he still wore his old steel pot.
marcel ledbetter
I knew e-6s and 7s that were completely at home humping the m-60 and would have done that forever if allowed. I could start another thread ascot these two and other other iron willed soldiers we've all known (and crazy ones)
Post removed:
by user
Fly Army 97
'Everyday' - no. Most people wear 'fatigues' to work, unless you are Navy/USMC at in the national capitol region. In that case, you'd see the ribbon. When he is in dress uniform, yes, but that is limited to special occasions. In the past, many MOH recipients have been taken out of the line for various reasons, but from what I read that will not occur with this gentleman. When he turns civilian, he can wear whatever he wants because he is a civilian, but when it comes to the uniform, it should generally be within standards of of our regulations. It is stated somewhere as such...I don't remember the actual reference.

Someone here will eventually say you don't 'win' the MOH, you are awarded the MOH or earn it..don't let that get to you if it happens.
Hey Nav
AG
Fly Army is totally correct.

This is from a movie with Clint Eastwood - but the point I'm making is that top blue ribbon is the CMOH. When you see that, even if it's a Gunnery Sgt wearing that , and you are a Capt or a General, you should initiate and render a proper salute to the recipiant.

If you want to see other uniforms in the Air Force, here you go:

https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-2903/afi36-2903.pdf

p28 Semi formal - they will wear the ribbon
p29 Mess dress - they will wear the dangly medal
p34 Service dress - they will wear the ribbon
p35,36 The "going to the office shirt". Ribbons are usually optional. So maybe not.
p40 The ABU. I don't think so. Same thing with flight suits & PT gear,
p100
Quote:

11.6.1.2. May wear full-size or miniature medals on civilian suits or equivalent dresses on appropriate occasions such as Memorial Day and Armed Forces Day. 11.6.1.3. May wear the uniform at military funerals, memorial services and

Anyways , this site says the USAF has awarded 19 CMOHs ever (so that would be post WWII). I got to meet one of those men and receive "a pep talk" while we were both on active duty.

https://www.cmohs.org/

The site also says there are 69 living recipients.

Naveronski
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

Also, is his age typical of a Sgt. Major these days, or do JSOC guys make rank that much faster?
He's a delta guy, and yeah, they make rank quickly.
Trench55
AG

Quote:

"Also, is his age typical of a Sgt. Major these days, or do JSOC guys make rank that much faster?"

Back in the 1998, the field artillery battalion with which I served in Vietnam held our first reunion. I was in my mid-50s, and we were all sitting around a table in a small conference room. The door opened and a "teenager" stuck his head in asking if we were the 2-4FA reunion. I told him we were and asked him who he was, thinking he was someone's son or grandson. He replied that he was the current Sergeant Major of the 2-4FA. Turned out he was about 38 years old and getting ready to retire.

AGhistorian
In civilian clothes they can also wear a rosette pin on their lapel. As far as I know this is the only medal that is issued with a rosette rather than a pin version of the ribbon.

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/rosette-medal-of-honor-united-states-army/nasm_A19710108002

Colonel A. 1976
AG
calling BS Officers do not initiate salutes with those Junior or with enlisted folks
Col. A 1976
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.