How many WWII war brides are there?

1,735 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Green2Maroon
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lady from my hometown passed away at 100+ years old, is what made me think of it. She was from England, and came to the US in 1946. One wonders what it was like for her to live out her life in another country, away from family. Though, at least three of her sisters are now in the US and Canada.

Anyone know any war brides or have stories?

Quote:

Florence "Flo" Foraker, 100, of Hale Center passed away Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at her daughter's home in Plainview.

Flo was born on April 16, 1920, daughter of Harry and Gertrude Ford, in London, England. She was the oldest of eleven children. She met American serviceman Jack Foraker during World War II while he was stationed overseas. They married and she moved to Hale Center in November 1946, where they lived and raised two daughters, Kathy and Jackie. She became a U.S. citizen in 1953.

In London, Flo worked on the double decker busses as a ticket-taker, and then later at a munitions factory during the war. After moving to the U.S., she worked outside the home while raising her daughters. Once her children were grown, she managed the cafeteria at Akin Elementary in Hale Center for 18 years. She enjoyed interacting with the kids and giving them extra attention.

CanyonAg77
AG
Another war bride I know of, was a bit younger, she and her husband met during the occupation. My wife worked with her on a civic project.

She was German, and her father was a soldier. He managed to come home on leave, just a bit before the war was over. He gave her mom a pistol.

His instructions to her were, if the Americans got there, to throw the pistol in the river.

If the Russians got there, she should shoot all the girls, then herself.

The Americans got there first, and she tossed the gun.

Then the Americans left, and the Russians took over.

She never told my wife any more than that.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Truce Fuch Salach was born in Netherlands in 1930. Was 15 years old when the Brits liberated her town in 1945 after the war was over (ie. The Germans were never run out) Was eating grass, leather shoes, dogs, cats and rats at the end. Met U.S. Navy sailor Eugene Salach in Amsterdam in 1949. They married and moved to the U.S. and he was deployed to Pacific/Korea. He left the Navy in 1958 and moved to Cameron, Texas. He worked for Alcoa in Rockdale and she stayed at home to raise my best friend and his brother. She raised Chinchillas and loved to ride her bicycle. She basically was my second mother.

I can spot a Dutch accent from a mile away.
JABQ04
AG
My wife's grandfather was a Bombardier in the USAAF in the Pacific. He met a woman (Wife's grandmother) in Australia and moved her to the thriving metropolis of Blanco after the war.
ABATTBQ87
AG
WAR BRIDES

Precise totals are hard to determine, but between the years 1942 and 1952, about one million American soldiers married foreign women from 50 different countries. As many as 100,000 war brides were British, 150,000 to 200,000 hailed from continental Europe, and another 16,000 came from Australia and New Zealand. There were brides from non-Allied countries, too. Military estimates indicate that 50,000 to 100,000 servicemen wed women from countries of the Far East, including Japan, and immigration records show that by 1950, 14,175 German brides of American servicemen had entered the United States.
ABATTBQ87
AG
JABQ04 said:

My wife's grandfather was a Bombardier in the USAAF in the Pacific. He met a woman (Wife's grandmother) in Australia and moved her to the thriving metropolis of Blanco after the war.
Jack Rabbits are similar to Kangaroos!
ABATTBQ87
AG
Speaking of Blanco, did you know the Hostetler
family?
JABQ04
AG
I'll have to ask my MIL. I'm from Crosby. She was born in and grew up in Blanco.
bigtruckguy3500
Anyone see the old Cary Grant movie, I Was a Male War Bride? He was a French officer that marries an American officer. It's been a while seen I've seen it, but I think I remember it being pretty good.
CanyonAg77
AG
It was funny, but I never could figure out why they would make him French. He could pass for British...because he was.
TexasAggie73
AG
I belong to a couple of Facebook groups(Military Brats and Air Force Brat sites) and it is amazing how many post about their moms being from Europe and going back to visit their relatives.
armymom
I know quite a few soldiers who brought back to the states German brides when stationed there in the 1980's. I imagine it is still happening.
Green2Maroon
AG
I went to Germany out of basic training and I know several guys who married German women.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.