Aggieland Yearbook

2,079 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Aggieland Yearbook
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy, Ags!
Because of the Covid-19 pandemic, technology has become more important than ever before, so we created this account for the Aggieland Yearbook!
The book began in 1903 under the name "The Longhorn" and was renamed to "The Aggieland" in 1949. Now, the Aggieland is created annually by a passionate staff of current students with exemplary writing, photography and design skills.
Due to events being postponed, cancelled or moved online, we face a new challenge this year filling our pages with content. After brainstorming, we came up with a unique solution: take it to TexAgs! This virtual community is a great place for us to let you know what's going on, and for you to let us know what's happening with you!
The Aggieland is composed of different sections, including but not limited to: Traditions, Academics, Sports, Student Life, Greek Life and the Corps of Cadets.
If you think you have information to enhance our book, we want to hear from YOU! This is your opportunity to explain your organization, business, past experience and more with the Aggieland for the chance to be included in our book!
Please send all messages to aggieland.yearbook@gmail.com and we look forward to hearing from our Aggie network of current and former students!

To learn more about the history of our organization, please visit [url=https://library.tamu.edu/yearbooks/][/url]https://library.tamu.edu/yearbooks/ .
To apply to staff or order a yearbook, please message aggieland.yearbook@gmail.com.
aggiejim70
AG
The book began in 1903 under the name "The Longhorn" and was renamed to "The Aggieland" in 1949

I hope Big Jim '49 weighs on this. Whatcha wanna bet a number of well meaning people raised hell on both sides about the name change.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
ABATTBQ87
AG
Thank goodness for the outlier 1895 yearbook, "the Olio"
ABATTBQ87
AG
From the 1949 Aggieland:

ABATTBQ87
AG
The Battalion, Wednesday, January 12, 1949

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
aggiejim70 said:

The book began in 1903 under the name "The Longhorn" and was renamed to "The Aggieland" in 1949

I hope Big Jim '49 weighs on this. Whatcha wanna bet a number of well meaning people raised hell on both sides about the name change.
Vote in C flight AF was 2/3 for change, 1/3 against . Believe that was typical of whole student body.

Our discussions were cordial - course we seniors wouldn't have allowed it to get out of hand.
Aggieland Yearbook
These are amazing pieces that you found! Thank you so much for sharing.
aggiejim70
AG
What brought about the desire for the name change. Did all the vets, including my class of 1950 dad have something to do with it. They misspelled his name in the 1950 Aggieland.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Good question !

My thought is that we were tired of anything Tu connected even though our Longhorn

was probably long before Tu used the name .

Can't be sure but the vote was called for by the Student Senate which was only in it's second year.

Vets - servicemen probably didn't care - they ( and a lot were married ) - were primarily

interested in getting out and getting a job .

My vote was 55-45 to change but one of my best friends from Austin spoke up vehemently against.

Side note - my Frog class spring of 45 - about 185 - did not get their pictures in the 45 Longhorn.

So far I have found no reason for this - still POed. Possibly the only class in the history of A&M NOT to

have their pictures in the yearbook .

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
aggiejim70 said:

What brought about the desire for the name change. Did all the vets, including my class of 1950 dad have something to do with it. They misspelled his name in the 1950 Aggieland.
Our Austin A&M Club had their picture in the Aggieland but were called Austin County !

Probably the fault of journalism majors or whatever they were called .

It might have been the 50 Aggieland, also.
ABATTBQ87
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

aggiejim70 said:

Vote in C flight AF was 2/3 for change, 1/3 against . Believe that was typical of whole student body.

Our discussions were cordial - course we seniors wouldn't have allowed it to get out of hand.
C Flight 1948-49 (From the 1949 Aggieland)

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Thanks, ABATT !

Another faux pas - Sgt. Walker picture used for J.D. Faulk .

Faulk made Colonel - jet pilot

Farrar made Col - 3 tours in Nam - DFC ! Was shown on Huntley-Brinkley NBC in Nam - spotter in Piper Cub.

Barker flying over Gulf of Mexico disappeared - never found .

That's me front row second from right . Too lazy to put on boots ?
ABATTBQ87
AG

Thanks, ABATT !

Another faux pas - Sgt. Walker picture used for J.D. Faulk .

Faulk made Colonel - jet pilot

Farrar made Col - 3 tours in Nam - DFC ! Was shown on Huntley-Brinkley NBC in Nam - spotter in Piper Cub.

Barker flying over Gulf of Mexico disappeared - never found .

That's me front row second from right . Too lazy to put on boots ?
was your nickname Mickey?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Yes. Son took it over.
ABATTBQ87
AG

Yes. Son took it over.

Gotcha! I found your senior profile in the 1949 Aggieland
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
ABATT, Barker CO of C Flight originally was in A Battery. He had the hours but not enough

grade points so he didn't get a commission. Was in flight school when he crashed.

Three of my best friends from Austin were in A Battery . '45 and '46. At a meeting to chew out the Fish

and Frogs a P head told them "get some fire in your a-- like Frog Darley !" Afterwards, all the Freshmen

laughed because Frog Darley would be the last to show fire !

aggie Jim , what outfit was your father in. I got out in Jan.50 after Navy service.
aggiejim70
AG

ABATT, Barker CO of C Flight originally was in A Battery. He had the hours but not enough

grade points so he didn't get a commission. Was in flight school when he crashed.

Three of my best friends from Austin were in A Battery . '45 and '46. At a meeting to chew out the Fish

and Frogs a P head told them "get some fire in your a-- like Frog Darley !" Afterwards, all the Freshmen

laughed because Frog Darley would be the last to show fire !

aggie Jim , what outfit was your father in. I got out in Jan.50 after Navy service.
Dad was a WW II vet. He was 31 when he graduated A&M in architecture. I'd already come along before he graduated.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
^
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.