B1B Lancer Aircraft

3,515 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 74OA
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
What is the payload capability for bombing purposes of this aircraft? I'm with my brother about something and while I have looked on Wikipedia for the answer, I cant find it. I have googled the question, but so far nothing.

AA
monarch
S
Found it.
Hey Nav
AG
I can't recall any B-1 people on this forum, but I bet there are a few.

Anyways, I believe the cool guys call that machine the "Bone", versus Lancer.

Too bad we didn't build a few hundred more of those monsters.

AgBQ-00
AG
All I know is I loved seeing them fly in and out of Dyess when I lived in Abilene. Frickers are LOOOOOOUUUUUUUDDDDDD
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah there might 30 of them flying if we had
falcon09
AG
With current weapons and racks to hold them, the max is about 50,000 pounds. A "rotary launcher" can hold 8 2,000 lb class weapons per bay for a total of 24. The GBU-31 (guided 2,000 bomb) and JASSM (Joint Air to Surface Standoff Missile) both weigh a little over 2,000 Lbs.

I believe the stated max capacity is more of a theoretical number. It could also be from including carrying external stores, a capability that was discontinued due to treaties.

And yeah, everyone calls it the "Bone", not the Lancer. That would be like calling a "Viper" a "Fighting Falcon".
falcon09
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Yeah there might 30 of them flying if we had
F4GIB71
falcon09 said:

That would be like calling a "Viper" a "Fighting Falcon".
Or the "Lawn Dart" by most of us F-4 WSOs whose jobs were displaced

I was fortunate to get to fly two seat fighters for 18 years of AD and ANG. Spend last three as Aircraft Maintenance Officer. One of my few regrets in life was not getting an F-16 flight. I had lots of friends who wanted to "roll my socks down" but we only had one "family model" and seemed like the back seat was always taken by an IP or a flight surgeon who needed the time. Kept thinking it would happen, and before in knew it, I hit the 21 year point, was promoted out of my slot, and discharged.
F4GIB71
Rock1982
AG
monarch said:

What is the payload capability for bombing purposes of this aircraft? I'm with my brother about something and while I have looked on Wikipedia for the answer, I cant find it. I have googled the question, but so far nothing.

AA

Weapon School answer .... it depends.

Against a peer adversary the loadout could be 24 x AGM-158.

In Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria the loadout could be 8 x GBU31, 6 x GBU-38, 6 x GBU-54.

Many other possibilities.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Set off car alarms at Ranger Stadium during a flyover at a 4th of July ball game. Went into afterburners as it passed over the stadium. Awesome site, sound and feeling.
Naveronski
AG
monarch said:

Found it.
If you post the question, why not post the answer, too?

"Found it" helps no one.
AggieFlyboy
AG
Bone guy here...50K is correct but depends on a lot of other factors. Weapon types, fuel loads, operating environment, etc...
CanyonAg77
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Set off car alarms at Ranger Stadium during a flyover at a 4th of July ball game. Went into afterburners as it passed over the stadium. Awesome site, sound and feeling.
My Favorite Pilot had a few weeks in Qatar as a cadet. The local commander (Aggie who's now a 2 or 3 star, I think) took the cadets out to the runway for B-1 takeoffs.

She said she didn't hear it as much as feel it reverberating through her entire body.
munch96
AG
I cracked open my copy of The Great Book of Modern Warplanes and they list the following...

rgleml
AG
The B-1 was always setting off car alarms at Dyess. In the early to mid-90s, we gave the B-1 guys a hard time because they had never flown in combat. I guess that changed after I retired.
AggieFlyboy
AG
We haven't carried nukes since 92
74OA
AG
The divider between the two forward bomb-bays can be moved to create a longer bay: HUGE MORE

CanyonAg77
AG
AggieFlyboy said:

I could be wrong, but I believe that B-1s were modified to no longer carry nukes due to arms limitation treaties.

And probably because advances in Soviet look-down radar and anti-air defenses made it unlikely they could penetrate Soviet airspace.
munch96
AG
AggieFlyboy said:

To be fair, the book was printed in 1988
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
I think the air force set a career B 1 best by keeping 5 of them flying at the same time in June of 2013.

Only aircraft that has it's own set of jumper cables and 5 piece socket set in the cockpit.

falcon09
AG
74OA said:

The divider between the two forward bomb-bays can be moved to create a longer bay: HUGE MORE

The "movable" bulkheads were welded in place in the mid 90's and I highly doubt there are still any of the short fuel tanks or longer rotary launchers that are still usable.

The "hypersonic" photo-op was on an Edwards test jet, so who knows what they've done to that jet. The Guam article has JASSM in the bay. Standard size bay configurations.

The Bone is a completely different aircraft than it was 25 years ago. Many of the engineering and tech features that made it so amazing in the early 90's are no longer around. I doubt the early guys could have imagined accurately hitting a vehicle driving down the freeway with a 500 lb bomb. Both very cool aircraft, but completely different.
AggieFlyboy
AG
falcon09 said:

74OA said:

The "movable" bulkheads were welded in place in the mid 90's and I highly doubt there are still any of the short fuel tanks or longer rotary launchers that are still usable.

The "hypersonic" photo-op was on an Edwards test jet, so who knows what they've done to that jet. The Guam article has JASSM in the bay. Standard size bay configurations.

The Bone is a completely different aircraft than it was 25 years ago. Many of the engineering and tech features that made it so amazing in the early 90's are no longer around. I doubt the early guys could have imagined accurately hitting a vehicle driving down the freeway with a 500 lb bomb. Both very cool aircraft, but completely different.
The B-1 has been modernized with a glass cockpit and Digital Engine controllers over the last 25 years. The rotary launchers that have come on line opened the aperture on the types of weapons that can be carried. Also, the Sniper Pod is fully integrated into the jet, which allows Full Motion Video feed and easy target acquisition when paired with the radar, which itself has been upgraded significantly. Finally, the defensive avionics were upgraded to allow better threat mitigation.

While the B-1 is still an early 80s aircraft design, it has not not gotten any less sophisticated or capable.
Wear and tear on the airplane over 18 years of constant military deployment is what is driving it's early retirement
74OA
AG
AggieFlyboy said:

falcon09 said:

74OA said:

The B-1 has been modernized with a glass cockpit and Digital Engine controllers over the last 25 years. The rotary launchers that have come on line opened the aperture on the types of weapons that can be carried. Also, the Sniper Pod is fully integrated into the jet, which allows Full Motion Video feed and easy target acquisition when paired with the radar, which itself has been upgraded significantly. Finally, the defensive avionics were upgraded to allow better threat mitigation.

While the B-1 is still an early 80s aircraft design, it has not not gotten any less sophisticated or capable.
Wear and tear on the airplane over 18 years of constant military deployment is what is driving it's early retirement
IBS
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.