The Outpost movie about the Battle of Kamdesh

5,820 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Trinity Ag
Aggie12B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is based on a 2012 non-fiction book, The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor by Jake Tapper about the Battle of Kamdesh. The movie is very well done and the combat scenes were very intense and realistic.

The film tells the story of the 53 U.S. soldiers who battled a force of some 400 enemy insurgents in north-eastern Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom. It takes place at Combat Outpost Keating located at the bottom of three steep mountains in Nurestan Province, Afghanistan just 14 miles from the Pakistani border.

2 American Soldiers EARNED the Medal of Honor for their actions during the Battle of Kamdesh.. Amazingly, neither of them were posthumous
Smeghead4761
I definitely want to see this movie. I might even be willing to put up with having to wear a mask to the theater to see it.

I was in Afghanistan, assigned as a liason officer at HQ ISAF when the battle at COP Keating happened. (And I find it interesting that they call it the battle of Kamdesh; I've almost always seen and heard it referred to as the Battle of COP Keating, or just COP Keating.). The book lays out what happened very well.

One interesting thing about the Afghan war is that all but I think one or two of the Medals of Honor that were earned were earned in and around the valley of the Konar River and its tributaries. (The others were earned by a Ranger in Paktia province, and there was one nominated, still being considered, during Operation Anaconda in Khowst province.)

3 of those happened while I was in Afghanistan (May 2010-June 2011) - the two at Keating, and Dakota Meyers'.
Martin Cash
AG
You don't have to go to a theater. you can stream it.

The troop commander, Stoney Portis, was a classmate of my oldest daughter in school. Known him since he was a young boy. His dad is an Ag and his mother died of cancer when he was in high school if I remember right. Outstanding young man.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Langenator said:

I definitely want to see this movie. I might even be willing to put up with having to wear a mask to the theater to see it.

I was in Afghanistan, assigned as a liason officer at HQ ISAF when the battle at COP Keating happened. (And I find it interesting that they call it the battle of Kamdesh; I've almost always seen and heard it referred to as the Battle of COP Keating, or just COP Keating.). The book lays out what happened very well.

One interesting thing about the Afghan war is that all but I think one or two of the Medals of Honor that were earned were earned in and around the valley of the Konar River and its tributaries. (The others were earned by a Ranger in Paktia province, and there was one nominated, still being considered, during Operation Anaconda in Khowst province.)

3 of those happened while I was in Afghanistan (May 2010-June 2011) - the two at Keating, and Dakota Meyers'.
William Swenson earned his MOH in the Kunar as did Dakota Myers in 2009 in the Battle of Ganjgal. Took place in the valley 4 miles from Abad to the east of Abad's OP Nevada and just north of Joyce.

That was the first thing that struck me when I was informed I was going to Abad in 2011; the number of MoH earned in the immediate area. That was before most of these were confirmed.

Michael Murphy - about 7 miles west of Abad in 2005.

Robert Miller - Kunar Province 2008

Ryan Pitts - Kunar Province 2008

Salvatore Giunta in the Korengal in the Kunar Province in 2009

Florent Groberg in Asadabad in 2012

Then you add the 6 from the adjacent Nuristan Province, that is 13 MOH earned within about 15-20 miles of each other.

Smeghead4761
I forgot about Swenson at Ganjgal, I think because it was awarded somewhat later than Meyer's.

I watched both Keating and Ganjgal from the rarefied air of HQ ISAF (Keating) and IJC (Ganjgal), where I was a liaison from RC-East (HQ 82nd Airborne).

The fact that the troops were still at COP Keating in October, 2009 was because of decisions made by GEN McChrystal, at the request of President Karzai.

Ganjgal was just a clusterf*** in a goat screw. Murphy didn't just show up for that party - he had a family reunion there.
japantiger
S
I thought it was a fine movie. Well acted. Good effects. Good character portrayals...both good and bad aspects.
Interviews with the principal's after the end credits.

Why any commander would have put that base there is beyond me. Apparently, it was all too common to pick an indefensible position for those outposts.
JABQ04
AG
I was at a place called FOB Wright, and granted it was 2013-2014 and it seemed everything was winding down I've there, we were surrounded by mountains. Bad dudes would get on multiple hillsides and rocket us. Fortunately though we had a ring of OPs built on higher ground surrounding the FOB but still ****ty position. I was the gun chief for the only
Arty section there so we got to man the gun and shoot counter fire missions when rockets were flying in and everyone else was undercover.
japantiger
S
JABQ04 said:

I was at a place called FOB Wright, and granted it was 2013-2014 and it seemed everything was winding down I've there, we were surrounded by mountains. Bad dudes would get on multiple hillsides and rocket us. Fortunately though we had a ring of OPs built on higher ground surrounding the FOB but still ****ty position. I was the gun chief for the only
Arty section there so we got to man the gun and shoot counter fire missions when rockets were flying in and everyone else was undercover.
Glad at least you were given a level of defense that gave you a chance. I hope they gave all you guys wheel-barrows to carry your balls around. Semper Fi.
Smeghead4761
JABQ04 said:

Keating did have one overwatching OP, with IIRC, a 120mm mortar. But that Taliban had that mortar pit zeroed in and were able to keep it suppressed for a good chunk of the fight. No artillery of it's own, because they couldn't get any up that crappy road, and Keating was also beyond the range of friendly artillery support, which the terrain in Kunar and Nuristan made a difficult proposition in any case.

If Keating had to be on the valley floor, then they need, by my military judgement, at least three OPs in the surrounding hills, with a section (2 tubes) of mortars in each, and maybe an old 106mm recoilless in each as well, if you can pull some out of mothballs and detail some 18Bs to teach the 11-series types (maybe 11Hs from the battalion AT company, for old times sake?) how to use them.

(At least one SF post down south, I think in Uruzgan province, did manage to get themselves a 106, which apparently was quite effective.)
JABQ04
AG
Our guns were flown in. (M777A2). Like i said though, things were fairly calm in 2013-2014. MI folks would pick up the Taliban on their ICOM radios calling out if we shifted the guns onto a new azimuth. We'd get told this and then play games to try and draw out their rocket teams. We'd have dudes in our ammo bunker holding the rounds waiting to run to the gun while a few us would drop out kits (at our gun position) and play horse shoes to lull them to security. We never took SAF but our location was kind of off the main base. We would essentially have to secure our own position. If they ever took some of the closet OPs they'd have control of These big ass AA guns our friendly ANA had, and then they'd be looking straight down at us. Nothing we coulda done then.

We did have a 120 mm and an 81mm that an ODA team set up in our gun pit. Had some good times having their 18Bs teaching us gun bunnies how to fire mortars. I asked him in the chow hall and he rolled in the next day with 30 120mm rounds, gave a class, and then smoked a cigarette while we hung rounds into the side of a mountain. I let him pull lanyard on a few fire missions as a repayment. They also would give us business too, when they'd get into TICs in sector.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Our guns were flown in. (M777A2). Like i said though, things were fairly calm in 2013-2014. MI folks would pick up the Taliban on their ICOM radios calling out if we shifted the guns onto a new azimuth. We'd get told this and then play games to try and draw out their rocket teams. We'd have dudes in our ammo bunker holding the rounds waiting to run to the gun while a few us would drop out kits (at our gun position) and play horse shoes to lull them to security. We never took SAF but our location was kind of off the main base. We would essentially have to secure our own position. If they ever took some of the closet OPs they'd have control of These big ass AA guns our friendly ANA had, and then they'd be looking straight down at us. Nothing we coulda done then.

We did have a 120 mm and an 81mm that an ODA team set up in our gun pit. Had some good times having their 18Bs teaching us gun bunnies how to fire mortars. I asked him in the chow hall and he rolled in the next day with 30 120mm rounds, gave a class, and then smoked a cigarette while we hung rounds into the side of a mountain. I let him pull lanyard on a few fire missions as a repayment. They also would give us business too, when they'd get into TICs in sector.

Was there in 2011. They had Triple 7's there at first then flew out. They were firing the extended range sabot rounds as they would order everyone into hard shelter before firing. They even shot down the balloon one day. Watched them shoot direct fire into Ranger Mountain across the Kunar River valley many times. Then one day they folded them up and 47's came and got them that night.

After they few them out all we had left was the ODA 120's. They were VERY good. The Tally would put up white flags on the mountains tops all around us and the ODA's would shoot them down, usually on the second or third round. The ANA did finally get some ZSU-15s and mounted on tops of buildings in their compound area. When the Tally would fire RPGs at us they would hose the area the RPG came from until it looked like lava rolling down the hillside.

OP Nevada was about 1 1/2 away on a ridge line across the valley from Abad. It was about three miles from Pakistan. That is where the battle of Ganjgal took place. It got hit numerous times when I was there. It had .50's and a 60mm mortar. At least twice the FoB had to saddle up a QRF to head their direction, although they were never sent. Both times F-15's blasted down the valley several times and then returned for a third time losing 500LB JDAMs which looked like small nuclear bombs going off in the night. That put an end to the fireworks show.

I was also over at Lahgman for a week. Their 777's were right across the LZ from where my sleeping quarters were. Needless to say, they were VERY busy the whole time I was there.
Naveronski
AG
JABQ04 said:

Had some good times having their 18Bs teaching us gun bunnies how to fire mortars. I asked him in the chow hall and he rolled in the next day with 30 120mm rounds, gave a class, and then smoked a cigarette while we hung rounds into the side of a mountain. I let him pull lanyard on a few fire missions as a repayment. They also would give us business too, when they'd get into TICs in sector.

Some of the best training I've had was when left unsupervised with some 19th and 2nd group guys.
JABQ04
AG
Those dudes were cool, forgot which group they were though. Always would stop by our guns and ask if anybody wanted to go shoot with them. Some of my dudes got to shoot the Carl Gustav, AT4s, some good CQB training and (the only time I pulled rank on my Joes) the mini-Gun.
Trinity Ag
S
Langenator said:

JABQ04 said:

Keating did have one overwatching OP, with IIRC, a 120mm mortar. But that Taliban had that mortar pit zeroed in and were able to keep it suppressed for a good chunk of the fight. No artillery of it's own, because they couldn't get any up that crappy road, and Keating was also beyond the range of friendly artillery support, which the terrain in Kunar and Nuristan made a difficult proposition in any case.

If Keating had to be on the valley floor, then they need, by my military judgement, at least three OPs in the surrounding hills, with a section (2 tubes) of mortars in each, and maybe an old 106mm recoilless in each as well, if you can pull some out of mothballs and detail some 18Bs to teach the 11-series types (maybe 11Hs from the battalion AT company, for old times sake?) how to use them.

(At least one SF post down south, I think in Uruzgan province, did manage to get themselves a 106, which apparently was quite effective.)
This isn't quite right. Fritsche did have a 120mm, as did Keating.

We could range Keating with 155 from the 2 x 777s at FOB Bostick, but you were shooting red bag RAP at high angle. Given the azimuth, artillery could only safely range the north side of the Landay Sin, so the hills and ridges on the south side were dead space. In 2008, before 3-61CAV arrived, 6-4CAV had some M119 105MM at COP Leibert near Gowerdesh that I believe could range Keating, but they were pulled out when 6-4CAV closed that COP.

More OPs might have helped the situation on October 3rd, but the OPs themselves were isolated and vulnerable, and extremely difficult to supply. A squad getting over run in an OP -- or multiple squads in different OPs -- would have been as bad or worse. The fact was, the units occupying Keating were stretched to the limit already. 3-61CAV had 9 x organic platoons of 18 Soldiers (scouts or infantry) each. And were defending:

FOB Bostick (0-1 x PLT - much of the security was provided by Afghans, which in retrospect is terrifying)
COP Keating (2 x PLT)
OP Fristche (1 x PLT)
COP Lowell (2 x PLT)
OP Mace (1 x PLT)
COP Pirtle-King (1-2 x PLT)
OP Bari-Alai (1 x PLT)
OP Hatchet (1 x PLT(-) of 12 HQ personnel - all the HQ HMMWV drivers, armorer, etc.)
OP Mustang (1 x Squad of 8 HQ personnel - cooks, mechanics, clerks)

There was no more Schlitz to send to Keating. As it was, you could not get more than three platoons on patrol at any giving time. The QRF was an MP squad and the recovery team from the Forward Support Company.

The positioning of COP Keating was a bad compromise -- a decision made in 2006 when the area was more permissive, and there was insufficient aviation to support the rapid expansion going on under 10th Mountain. The general idea was to provide a base for the Nuristan Provincial Reconstruction Team that was in closer proximity to the major population center at Kamdesh. Which was ironic, because Kamdesh was a 4-hour walk straight up the mountain, and nobody actually patrolled there due to the distance and general reticence of the local leaders.

The PRT brought in a radio tower to extend IO into the region. But the "permissiveness" was a less than expected, and the amount of shooting led the PRT to bug-out to Parun within a few months...they left the radio, though. And maintaining the radio seems to have been a major justification for keeping the COP. In hindsight, it would have been much better to put another platoon and the radio at Fritsche, and close Keating -- which was a course of action discussed with McChrystal, but he shot it down.

I suspect another factor in the positioning decisions was the fact that when you look at a map from J-Bad or Bagram or Kabul you can look at Keating and COP Lowell and OP Mace at Gowerdesh, and pretend you are "refusing the line" at the north edge of the Pakistan border. Which is ridiculous when you are actually there, as none of the bases were close enough to be mutually supporting -- and military vehicle ground transit was not even possible after 2007. You could walk an Army between the COPs and never know it, especially since the area was rarely assigned ISR assets.

And then, closing an OP or COP was considered as tantamount to retreat -- which was completely absurd. Senior leaders (Scaparotti and McChrystal) were so fearful of the public blowback from closing bad positions that they backed themselves into a terrain-oriented approach that not only made zero sense in Afghanistan, it was in tactical opposition to the population-centric "strategy" McChrystal was allegedly implementing.

The cherry on top was McChrystal having the gall to reprimand the entire chain of command below them - who had been planning/begging to close the bases for months prior. But after the political crapshow following Wanat and Pat Tillman fratricide cover-up (another McChrystal-led folly), somebody had to be "accountable" - and it wasn't going to be a general.

It was politically expedient to maintain the status-quo. It was cynical, and over-cautious, and stupid, and a bunch of people died because of it. Every death of one of your Soldiers is a life-long burden. The needless deaths are something I will never get over.

BTW -- Stoney Portis is a tremendous leader. He's recently been selected for battalion command.

I've heard good things about the movie, but haven't brought myself to see it yet. Maybe I will eventually.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Langenator said:

Keating was October 2009.
bigtruckguy3500
Just finished it last night. Pretty good movie.

Kind of crazy to think someone would choose to put a base in a location surrounded by high ground on all sides.
CanyonAg77
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Kind of crazy to think someone would choose to put a base in a location surrounded by high ground on all sides.

Quote:

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.

Psalms 121:1

Most people read that as help was coming from the hills. I heard a different take, that the hills were full of enemies, and the author was wondering where his help would come from. Confirmed by the following verse

Quote:

My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.

So yeah, the high ground is an ancient concept.
agdaddy04
AG
Not sure why I just found this on Netflix but I watched it tonight. Insane what those guys went through. Seems like they enjoyed getting to honor their fallen by doing this movie. That was powerful.
Rabid Cougar
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Just finished it last night. Pretty good movie.

This is/was not unusual. Almost every FOB/COP in the Kunar was surrounded by high ground.
bigtruckguy3500
Was there just no other space available? Like did all the villages also place themselves in these types of depressions because it was the only flat ground available?

Just seems so illogical to go against military wisdom for thousands of years that you always want to occupy the high ground.
Rabid Cougar
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Was there just no other space available? Like did all the villages also place themselves in these types of depressions because it was the only flat ground available?

Just seems so illogical to go against military wisdom for thousands of years that you always want to occupy the high ground.
I think it really had to do with logistics. All the outpost that we had around Abad were situated higher and over looked the main base but they still were over looked by towering mountains. You had to hike to the outpost or be flown to them. There was no driving.

Also most of the bases in the Kunar had one road in and one road out. If they didn't attack you going in your were assured there would be contact going out.

There is not that much flat ground in upper reaches of the Pech and Kunar River valleys. Lots of terraces and villages literally hanging off the sides of mountains.

In the lower part, near Khas Kunar the River Valley is very broad but there are still only two roads; one on either side of the river with only one or two bridges connecting them.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Turn your volume down. Music is bad.

Kunar

Its a beautiful region of the country and would be an outdoor recreation haven if it weren't for people blowing you up while you drove down the road.

This will give an idea of the roads. Basically carved out of the mountain side or built on fill in the river bank.
Travel by road

CanyonAg77
AG
It's really sad what tribalism and Islam have done to these countries.

They could be swimming in tourist dollars.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I've seen pics of Afghanistan in the 60s. It was beautiful.
bigtruckguy3500
Marauder Blue 6 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

My dad had a stopover and delayed flight in Kabul in the late 70's, before the Soviets invaded. He said it was a great place to hang out for a couple days, everyone was nice, good food, just overall nice atmosphere.
Smeghead4761
Marauder Blue 6 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

What actually started Afghanistan down the road to being the dangerous craphole that it is now, and has been since at least 1979 wasn't tribalism and Islam. Afghanistan has always been tribal, and it's had Islam for centuries. (Nuristan was the last province to be Islam-icized, in the 1890s, IIRC. Nuristan means 'Land of the Enlightened.' Before that, it was called Kafiristan, "Land of the Infidels/Pagans".)

It was a socialist revolution in the 1970s, which overthrew the existing king, that started the whole mess. The kings of Afghanistan (all from the Durani Pashtun tribe) had always managed to maintain a balance among the tribes, and were respectful of religion. Like good little socialists everywhere, the socialist who overthrew the king decided to get rid of religion.

That pissed off the conservative, religious rural population, leading to armed rebellion against the socialists in Kabul. They couldn't handle it, which led to Soviet intervention in 1979.

And here we are, 41 years later.
Trinity Ag
S
Langenator said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

What actually started Afghanistan down the road to being the dangerous craphole that it is now, and has been since at least 1979 wasn't tribalism and Islam. Afghanistan has always been tribal, and it's had Islam for centuries. (Nuristan was the last province to be Islam-icized, in the 1890s, IIRC. Nuristan means 'Land of the Enlightened.' Before that, it was called Kafiristan, "Land of the Infidels/Pagans".)

It was a socialist revolution in the 1970s, which overthrew the existing king, that started the whole mess. The kings of Afghanistan (all from the Durani Pashtun tribe) had always managed to maintain a balance among the tribes, and were respectful of religion. Like good little socialists everywhere, the socialist who overthrew the king decided to get rid of religion.

That pissed off the conservative, religious rural population, leading to armed rebellion against the socialists in Kabul. They couldn't handle it, which led to Soviet intervention in 1979.

And here we are, 41 years later.
This is a pretty good description.

Throughout the 50s and 60s you see growing pressure on the King to liberalize a quasi-feudal governmental structure, where rural Khans control land through royal land grants. The King had promised to institute an elected Parliament, but had delayed it -- in part from pressure from Pashtun factions that feared a more democratic system would undermine their dominant political position -- a fear than remains a major factor in the current government.

The King's brother and former Prime Minister, Daud, organize a coup in 1973 to install a more autocratic, Pashtun-base government, with closer ties to the Soviet Union. Socialist policies contributed to activism by conservative religious movements -- also a global movement emerging out of the Muslim Brotherhood. The conservative student group/political party Jamiet-e Islami organized in 1968, led by Rabbani -- and included well know figures Ahmad Shad Massoud, Gulbuddin Hekmatyr, Ismail Khan, Atta Muhammed Nur, etc.

A crackdown on Kabul University sent most of these figures into hiding or exile, and set the stage for the Islamic Revolution after Daud was toppled by the communists in 1977.

The same factors driving instability in the late 60s are still present, including many of the original surviving players, or their close associates.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.