Any current or former SWO (Surface Warfare Officer) on here? Looking into OCS.

1,477 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by zip04
CREAg87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Like the title says- are there any current or former SWOs that could give me their opinion on the role, what their time in was like, etc. I am contacting an officer recruiter soon about applying to OCS and would like to hear some real-world opinions.
SeanLucas2020
I'm in a similar position to you. If you don't mind downloading (or already have) Reddit, there is a sub reddit called r/NewToTheNavy that has a lot of great info about SWO. Just make sure to use the search function instead of creating a post, because the amount of questions they receive about "what is SWO like" are astronomical.
zip04
AG
I am an active duty SWO, currently the Executive Officer on an LPD. I am underway right now with limited connectivity, but when I get back into port I can better answer any of your questions/concerns.

1. SWO training has come a long way since I have been in. Ensigns go to a Basic Division Officer Course and a Junior Officer Of the Deck (JOOD) course before officially reporting to their first ship. This is phenomenal.
2. Being an Ensign sucks but is fun at the same time if that makes sense. It is like drinking from a firehouse, but you have to prioritize working on your qualifications to earn your SWO pin. The ship isn't going to just give it to you. They expect you to put the work in and earn it. You need to drive it.
3. Being a LTJG is a lot of fun.
4. My favorite thing about the job is driving the ship and you change jobs frequently.
5. If you stay in, being a DH is exhausting, but you feel like you are actually making a difference with the ship because you have the CO and XO's ear.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.