Lone Survivor book

4,854 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by The Good Aggieboy19
The Good Aggieboy19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone read Marcus Luttrell's book "Lone Survivor"? I suspect most have seen the movie.

I'm about to start it and I am very excited. I'm very interested to see what is different in the book vs the movie. What are y'all's thoughts on the book (or the movie)??
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Read it in 2007. From what I remember, the endings are different. They Hollywooded up the ending of the movie.

It's an entertaining read and that's all I'll say about the whole thing.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
What's it about ?
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Rabid Cougar
AG
The Sandia Mountains are not like the Korengal Valley.
And Mark Wahlberg is about as polar opposite of Marcus Luttrell stature wise as you can get.
EagleLM
Lone Survivor and American Sniper are both excellent books and so much better than the movies. As most movies, they don't come close to doing justice to the actual story. A movie may be pleasing to the eye, but it cant ever come close to telling the entire story, and isn't expected to. Read the book first so it doesn't pollute the true story of what really happened. And if you ever get a chance to hear someone like Marcus Luttrell speak, as he did at the Bush Library several years ago, don't miss that opportunity. I was spellbound the whole time he spoke about his experience and found myself holding my breath thru many parts of the night.
Aggie63
AG
I attended the entire trial of Chris Kyle' murderer in Stephenville. Marcus Luttrell was in attendance as well for several of the days. I don't know if he knew Chris, but he and Marcus were cut from the same cloth, (e.g. heroes), although they were quite different in personality. I spoke with Chris Kyle's father and he told me of his concern about allowing a movie to be made of Chris's book. He was very reluctant and would not give his blessing until he had a face to face with the Producer (was it Eastwood? I forget). He told him that if he any way demeaned his son's service , then he personally would help Eastwood "find Jesus".
He was assured they would not, and he gave his approval.
Texarkanaag69
AG
Luttrell's book was much better than the movie, definitely more intense, and he developed a much closer relationship with the village than the movie showed. Too you better feel the bad condition he was in when found and the risk the villagers took to protect him.
Eliminatus
AG
EagleLM said:

Lone Survivor and American Sniper are both excellent books and so much better than the movies. As most movies, they don't come close to doing justice to the actual story. A movie may be pleasing to the eye, but it cant ever come close to telling the entire story, and isn't expected to. Read the book first so it doesn't pollute the true story of what really happened. And if you ever get a chance to hear someone like Marcus Luttrell speak, as he did at the Bush Library several years ago, don't miss that opportunity. I was spellbound the whole time he spoke about his experience and found myself holding my breath thru many parts of the night.
These two were on my list of "I can't believe I never read them" and so finally broke down and got them last week. Finished American Sniper and not going to sugar coat it. I hated it. It was an absolute chore to finish. The style of it is something that I have just never enjoyed. It was like reading a transcript of drunken war stories at the bar.

Still looking forward to Lone Survivor though. The movie was good so I do have some expectations though. I am still mad I missed that speaking event with Luttrell.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Read "Fearless." It's the best SEAL book.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Interesting. What's it about??
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Adam Brown. A guy who overcame adversity after adversity after adversity to become a SEAL and eventually be selected for Development Group. It's more about Adam's life and overcoming challenges. An amazing story.
cuz-i-can
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Good recommendation...i enjoyed the book...this isn't a shoot 'em up combat story...it is a story about personal demons, faith (scripture), humanity, and humbleness...
MaroonSpirit
AG
Marcus and Chris were very good friends
Diyala Nick
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Read it in 2007. From what I remember, the endings are different. They Hollywooded up the ending of the movie.

It's an entertaining read and that's all I'll say about the whole thing.

Very entertaining.
REJ_III
Recommend reading Victory Point by Ed Darack when you're finished. Extremely detailed account of what happened from a planning and execution standpoint for both Operation Red Wings and Whalers.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Adam Brown. A guy who overcame adversity after adversity after adversity to become a SEAL and eventually be selected for Development Group. It's more about Adam's life and overcoming challenges. An amazing story.

Just finished this book this morning. Incredible story, crazy how you almost feel like you know the guy just from reading the book. I read that the whole time knowing what the outcome was, but hoping for a different one. Fantastic book
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
Just started that one. Can't wait to understand the story of it all

The Good Aggieboy19
AG
Reading some of these books has lead me to reading more, and more. I had no idea how some of these guys are connected- when I read one book, someone from the initial book pops up in the next one, and so on. Fascinating

Some of the ones I've recently read that I highly recommend are The Operator (Rob O'Neill), Perfectly Wounded (Mike Day), and Service (Marcus Luttrell's second book). Each have tremendous stories of courage and insight into what our brave troops encounter overseas. Perfectly Wounded is the story of an operator who was shot 27 times and survived. Incredible read.

Anyone have more recommendations?
Lightning Dexter
Sea Stories: My Life in Special Operations - Admiral McRaven
Alone at Dawn - Dan Schilling and Lori Chapman
Rabid Cougar
AG
The Good Aggieboy19 said:

Anyone have more recommendations?
"Two Wars" and "A Platoon Leaders Tour" Both by Nathan Self.

Silver Star

Robert's Ridge

From my hometown.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
Awesome. Thanks y'all- I'll get right on those!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.