Question of force to remove CHOP/CHAZ

1,744 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cavscout96
CaptTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So this cant be left to go on forever can it? So the question is, when the day comes that this has to end, if the "citizens" are armed and dangerous, how do you dislodge them? I was considering the other day, our most recent conflict kind of produced combat doctrine to deal with suburban fighting in the case that it would take that kind of force to remove the CHAZ. Full disclosure, I am not a veteran nor current service member and possess no practical knowledge of how to deal with it. But I have been watching the situation and the longer it goes on, to me the harder it is going to be to end it, sure they have "demands" but its just a distraction, I don't think they have any intent to leave.
bigtruckguy3500
I think you may have confused this board with the politics board.
Look it up
Oath of enlistment:

...do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic...

No military member wants to do this, this is why we have police. But when it comes down to it and the police fail, the military will defend and protect the civilian community.

This is talked about and trained for in leadership classes.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Not the military's lane, at least not at this point. There are government agencies that are trained to do this.

If it gets to a point of being an armed insurrection, I guess we will see what it was like to make the decision in 1861.
cavscout96
AG
Look it up said:

Oath of enlistment:

...do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic...

No military member wants to do this, this is why we have police. But when it comes down to it and the police fail, the military will defend and protect the civilian community.

Not in any leadership class I have been in.

Seriously?

Defending the Constitution =/= "protecting civilian community" =/= establish law and order where a local government refuses to do so.

CHOP/CHAZ is not a threat to the Constitution, nor is it an insurrection against the US. It's a bunch of brats, malcontents, and marxists whose parents (and the local and state governments) refuse to hold them accountable.
Smeghead4761
cavscout96 said:

Look it up said:

Oath of enlistment:

Not in any leadership class I have been in.

Seriously?

Defending the Constitution =/= "protecting civilian community" =/= establish law and order where a local government refuses to do so.

CHOP/CHAZ is not a threat to the Constitution, nor is it an insurrection against the US. It's a bunch of brats, malcontents, and marxists whose parents (and the local and state governments) refuse to hold them accountable.
From the Constitution, Article I, Section 8:
"Congress shall have the power...To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions"

For historical examples, see:
- the Whiskey Rebellion
- the Nullification Crisis (threatened, not actually used)
- 1863 NYC draft riots

Oh yeah, also that minor episode between 1861-1865, as well as Reconstruction after.

Now, after Reconstruction ended, the Posse Comitatus Act made the use of federal troops for maintaining internal law and order a much more difficult and involved proposition, but it's still possible. The big thing is that the state government has to request the assistance.

I will also note that from about 1900 until the start of WWII, the Army War Plans division maintained plans for suppressing internal unrest. Under the color system then in place, this was War Plan WHITE. WHITE was replaced by a series of plans under the name GARDEN PLOT in the 1960s.

Portions of the GARDEN PLOT plans were used in 1992 during the L.A. riots. Successor plans are currently maintained by NORTHCOM and ARNORTH.
cavscout96
AG
Quote:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.