82nd Division- DDay Information needed for new Book

1,398 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by USAFAg
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Friend - well known writer - left off "Airborne"

Any info will help - survivors for interviews, Aggies and/or

Texans involved - personal stories - relatives - background !

Thanks in advance.
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Lt.Col. Bennie Zinn '26 was in the 82nd and wrote an unpublished essay about DDay. Awaiting

word from Cushing Library ( closed to public) as to whether they have a copy.

He was a veterans advisor at A&M. Son '50 same name .

Anybody know of the family ? He was mentioned in "Texas Aggies Go To War".
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Lee72
AG
My wife's uncle was member of WWII 82d Airborne,# 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment and was charter member of 82d Airborne Division Assoc and was president of the Chapter in San Antonio. He was one of the first group to be awarded the CIB upon its establishment. Unfortunately, he passed away two years ago so no personal interviews are possible. BUT, he wrote a short 26 page booklet: Harris, Darrell G, "Casablanca to VE Day: a Paratrooper's Memoirs", Dorrance Publishing Co, Inc, Pittsburg, PA,1995. ISBN 0-8059-3771-4 (out of print). If you can't find a copy, contact me via TexAgs messaging. I will make a copy and send it either electronically via your email or hard copy via USPS.
Smeghead4761
82nd Division would have been the correct terminology for WWI, and up until the establishment of Armored divisions led to the addition of 'Infantry' around 1940.

The division was the 82nd Infantry Division for a very short time before becoming the 82nd Airborne.

Trivia question from Division Soldier of the Year boards: who was the only general to command the 82nd Infantry Division?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Lee72 said:

My wife's uncle was member of WWII 82d Airborne,# 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment and was charter member of 82d Airborne Division Assoc and was president of the Chapter in San Antonio. He was one of the first group to be awarded the CIB upon its establishment. Unfortunately, he passed away two years ago so no personal interviews are possible. BUT, he wrote a short 26 page booklet: Harris, Darrell G, "Casablanca to VE Day: a Paratrooper's Memoirs", Dorrance Publishing Co, Inc, Pittsburg, PA,1995. ISBN 0-8059-3771-4 (out of print). If you can't find a copy, contact me via TexAgs messaging. I will make a copy and send it either electronically via your email or hard copy via USPS.
Lee72, Many thanks for the info ! I will pass this on to the author and get back to you,
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Langenator said:

82nd Division would have been the correct terminology for WWI, and up until the establishment of Armored divisions led to the addition of 'Infantry' around 1940.

The division was the 82nd Infantry Division for a very short time before becoming the 82nd Airborne.

Trivia question from Division Soldier of the Year boards: who was the only general to command the 82nd Infantry Division?
Patton ?
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Lee72 said:

Lee72, Many thanks for the info ! I will pass this on to the author and get back to you,
Lee72, The author's book is primarily concerned with the DDay drop. The 504th drop was delayed

until September for various reasons per Wikipedia . Unless Harris was with another unit on DDay,

unfortunately, his memoirs wouldn't help the author in this case .

Anybody who was a paratrooper and fought in Europe is to me a hero !

Thanks again for your reply !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
USAFAg
AG
Langenator said:

Omar Bradley
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.