Outfit History: Company F-1

2,859 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tex100
Finest 21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy Y'all

I'm a junior in Company F-1 and I'm trying to put together a complete history of my outfit. We were disbanded from 1985 to 2012 so I'm trying to find out what the outfit was like from when we were founded in 1959 till 1985. If you know of any stories or know someone who does please pass them down. I'm looking for everything I can find but specifically stories, photos, traditions, pass downs, Bonfire, and anything concerning Corps Brass. I greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks and gig 'em
Company F-1: Finest First
Corps Brass Company
ABATTBQ87
AG
Y'all marched Final Review in the Spring of 1986 and then were disbanded.

I believe F-1 and M-1 were combined to form L-1, whos outfit humpit was "Lone Star One, Hell Raisin Rebels, the best damn outfit in the south!"

L-1 shared Dorm 9 with A Battery in 1986-87 and I knew and liked most of the seniors and had a few run-ins with their fish, but they weren't some out of control animal house outfit, as I remember.
Animal
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

they weren't some out of control animal house outfit, as I remember.
Tread lightly there ABATTBQ87....
Rabid Cougar
AG
What's a "Corps Brass Company" ?
Trench55
AG
I was in F-1 from '61 - '65. F-1 won the General Moore award as outstanding unit in the Corps of Cadets in '63-64 school year. Was also the top Infantry Company that same year.

Neil Keltner, Corps Commander '64-'65, was in F-1 his freshman and sophomore years. He was on Corps staff his junior year. Neil served in Vietnam with the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment in 1966 and was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross and the Purple Heart.

Many of us who were in F-1 during the '60s served in Vietnam following graduation.

Hope this helps.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Animal said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

they weren't some out of control animal house outfit, as I remember.
Tread lightly there ABATTBQ87....

Trench55
AG
Just remembered another F-1 story from my time in the outfit. Back in the early '60s (and perhaps later) it was a company tradition that early in the fall semester the fish would have to locate every fire hydrant on campus (I'm talking about the old main campus). We would divide up into three-man teams, and each team would be assigned certain fire hydrants to be painted red with a yellow top. Obviously, we did this in the middle of the night. The operation took a couple of hours, but the next morning every fire hydrant had a fresh coat of paint.

The most challenging fire hydrant was located in a lighted area in front of the campus police office. Neil Keltner and his team drew the area containing that hydrant, and as they were painting it, one of the campus police officers came out of the station and caught them. His comment was "We were wondering when you guys would get around to painting those this year." He then walked back into the police station.
AgSpirit581
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

What's a "Corps Brass Company" ?

Seriously.
Finest 21
Prior to the 1960-1961 school year, the Corps dropped the Army Branch insignia from uniform. There was a design competition held to create a unifying insignia for the whole Corps to wear, minus the band. Troy Manceleno, and Senior in Company F-1 at the time, submitted the winning design for what would later be known as Corps Brass. Since we were refounded in 2012 we've adopted the nickname 'Corps Brass Company' as a reminder of our outfits history and impact on the Corps. There's a plaque in from of the Sander's Corps Center that explains the history of Corps Brass if you are interested.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Finest 21 said:

Prior to the 1960-1961 school year, the Corps dropped the Army Branch insignia from uniform. There was a design competition held to create a unifying insignia for the whole Corps to wear, minus the band. Troy Manceleno, and Senior in Company F-1 at the time, submitted the winning design for what would later be known as Corps Brass. Since we were refounded in 2012 we've adopted the nickname 'Corps Brass Company' as a reminder of our outfits history and impact on the Corps. There's a plaque in from of the Sander's Corps Center that explains the history of Corps Brass if you are interested.
That's cool. I am good on the history of it. It was pounded into me and my fish buddies over the fall semester of '82.
74OA
AG
Finest 21 said:

I laughed.
Trench55
AG
Interesting history of Corps Brass. I started my fish year in '61, and as far as I can remember, we were never told of the history of the Corps Brass we wore. I do remember that we were told that F-1 had been an Ordinance Corps company prior to the reorganization of the Corps from branch based to the two brigade organization of that time. The 1st Brigade was designated the Infantry brigade, but I think the only real purpose of that designation involved eligibility for the award of the outstanding infantry unit in the Corps each year.

Actually, at that time, we were assigned to Corps companies based upon our initial choice of majors. Those of us assigned to F-1 were initially engineering majors. E-1 was also engineering majors. G-1 was primarily architecture majors with some engineering majors. C-1 and D-1 were agriculture majors. I don't remember what A-1 was. Nor do I remember what majors were assigned to the various companies in the 2nd Brigade. If a student changed majors at some point, he still remained in his originally assigned company. Hence, when I changed from engineering to wildlife management, I remained in company F-1.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Finest 21 said:

from the 1959 Aggieland: Reference to Jocks is the Armor outfits, not the athletes.

74OA
AG
Same when I entered in '70. My squadron was an engineering outfit and I was mis-assigned as a liberal arts major.

By the time Corps Staff figured it out, I had bonded with my fish class and wasn't going anywhere without a gun to my head. Fortunately, my commander told the staff pukes to, "go pound sand", and that was that.

When we graduated four years later, about half of my class had bailed out of engineering, so............
Tex100
AG
Go to the library and look at company pictures in the Aggieland. You can at least find the names of CO's, XO's and 1st sergeants. Find their current contact info through the Association of Former Students
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.