Incirlik AF Base, Turkey

2,807 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CanyonAg77
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
(1). Do we still operate this facility in Turkey?
(2). Is that a thorn in the side of the Russians & the Syrians?
(3). Is the fact that we still operate there (if in fact we still do) strengthen our situation in this whole mess?

Curious as to reaction from people that are more familiar with the base than I am...
Hey Nav
AG
https://www.incirlik.af.mil/

The Air Force seems to think we're still there. Lots of people stationed there, along with some Brits and Turks.

It is a very important asset for US force projection. That 10,000' runway comes in handy for airlifting stuff to parts farther east. Hardened shelters are there for the fast movers to park their planes.

IF the Hodja Lakes Golf Course closes...you'll know we are planning to bug out.
CT'97
AG
We have a couple dozen nukes stored there.

It's a pretty significant strategic runway.

bigtruckguy3500
I feel like certain media outlets want to dramatize our current disagreements with Turkey and make it seem like there's going to be an epic battle for control of our assets at Incirlik.

I think the reality, as is often the case, is far more tame than it would appear.
CT'97
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

I feel like certain media outlets want to dramatize our current disagreements with Turkey and make it seem like there's going to be an epic battle for control of our assets at Incirlik.

I think the reality, as is often the case, is far more tame than it would appear.
I generally agree with you, but with Trump there is literally no predicting. He could wake up tomorrow and not like his coffee and decided to walk away from any number of decades long international relationships.
Fly Army 97
Maybe I don't read all the news, but I haven't seen this assertion about losing the airbase. I think the general newsworthy portion of this situation is the potential/further instability in a region we already decided to affect. That is a complex situation and our growing competition with Russia isn't a small part of that equation.
Post removed:
by user
Fly Army 97
Tent??
CAVGrunt97
AG
Yes
Yes
Yes

We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live!
Fly Army 97
I don't remember that being the norm.
CanyonAg77
AG
Tents? When my O-3 son in law was there a few years ago, all the dependents were gone, so they told him to pick any empty house he wanted.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.