Arkansas Corps trip question

2,697 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXAggieMom11
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just noticed the Arky kickoff is set for 11am. In the past this has resulted in no Corps parade. Is that the case this year? If so, here's what I'd like to know. Will the donation I made still be used for a cadet attend the game? If not, what becomes of it I don't want the money back, but I would like to know how it will be used.

Gen. R. if this catches your eye, I'd appreciate you weighing in on this. By the way, thanks again for your great presentation to the San Antonio A&M Club.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Outlaw0206
AG
Correct, no corps review because the game is so early. However the cadets will still attend the game, as the have done so in previous years when the game had an 11am kick.
Warrior 66
Outlaw is correct. No march-in to Ft Worth due to the early kick-off. However, due to the generosity of many who supported our efforts to help offset ticket prices for cadets, the entire Corps of Cadets will attend the game.

Thanks for inviting me to SA to update the SA A&M Club! As always, a great time with all of you. Thanks again.

Beat the HELL Outta Auburn!
Hey Nav
AG
Bummer about the kickoff time. Really wish this game would become "home and home".

Glad that the Corps will attend the game!

Beat the hell outta Auburn!!!
Jock 07
AG
I by no ways mean this at a criticism but why exactly is it too early? I remember we always played sip on t+1 at 11 when I was in school and we were always able to march in on Austin. I think we had early parades in Waco and vs Army in SA as well iirc. Are the logistics just too difficult in Arlington?
Unfortunately it being Arkansas I foresee 11 AM kicks being the norm in this series. We really do need to get this series back on campus
Quad Dog
AG
Going to AT&T stadium the day before the game is out of the question because there isn't money for hotels.
The other option is to drive the day of. The Corps marches into Kyle 1.5 hours before the game, so let's assume the same for Dallas. 3 hour drive + 1.5 hours before 11:00 am = the entire Corps on a bus and leaving College Station at 6:30 am. Let's call it leaving at 5:30 am to get some food and some time to get dressed.
Doable, but probably not realistic or worth it.
TXAggieMom11
The CT's get a Corps trip only the BQ's are bussed up and back on the day of. Not sure why the band can't load instruments in a trailer and then do as the CT's do.
My class of '11 got to go to Austin, my class of '19, Ft. Worth but only two parades. Both loved their trips piling into a buddies families house. Getting out from under the watchful eye of bulls and upperclassmen as blackbelts. The stories I have heard and I am sure better stories I haven't make great memories. Parents love having them too!
HollywoodBQ
AG
TXAggieMom11 said:

Parents love having them too!
Almost 30 years on, my parents still talk about having my buddies over when we played Baylor in Waco. They absolutely loved it. Tractor races and all (dad wasn't too happy about us hot-rodding the tractor).

Here's a picture I recently found from that first Baylor trip in Fall 1989. Me in the deprecated Class A Summers standing by my Radical 1975 K5 Blazer (I spent a lot of hours working in the pharmacy at Eckerds store #2516 in Hewitt to pay for that truck).

JABQ04
AG
Quad Dog said:

Going to AT&T stadium the day before the game is out of the question because there isn't money for hotels.
The other option is to drive the day of. The Corps marches into Kyle 1.5 hours before the game, so let's assume the same for Dallas. 3 hour drive + 1.5 hours before 11:00 am = the entire Corps on a bus and leaving College Station at 6:30 am. Let's call it leaving at 5:30 am to get some food and some time to get dressed.
Doable, but probably not realistic or worth it.

I wish I could remember the times for the Austin parades, but I definitely remember arriving at a HS parking lot while still dark (on our own accord) and getting bussed to the start of the parade down Congress Avenue. Magically the Corps would all arrive and be ready to march too, all on their own.
Jock 07
AG
I have fond memories of our Corps trip to Waco fish year as well, best of which was trying to ride an empty keg like a bull in our buddy's pool
Hey Nav
AG
Nice wheels, Hollywood.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Hey Nav said:

Nice wheels, Hollywood.
Thanks. I drove that truck for about 5 years. Wish I still had it. But, sold it to my cousin who was in PMC and he turned it into a Deer Lease vehicle. I'm sure it's still alive somewhere in South Texas.

Since I was one of only a few fish in our outfit who had a car, I wound up driving a lot. Bonfire Cut, Corps Trips, Canoe Trips at the end of the year, etc. No ABS, No Airbags, no traction control, non-functional A/C, I don't know how we managed.

I wanted a K5 Blazer because that's what we had when I was a kid in Valdez, Alaska. Here's my dad circa 1976 with one from the motor pool that was his daily driver. And yes, I lived in a double-wide.
EDIT: Military note - my dad is wearing some goofy Russian hat that I believe he picked up when he served in West Germany.

Hey Nav
AG
I had (still have) a hat like that. I was stationed in Alaska for 4 winters back in the day. Lived at Elmendorf, flew to all corners of the theatre. Great place.
Rabid Cougar
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

TXAggieMom11 said:

Parents love having them too!
Almost 30 years on, my parents still talk about having my buddies over when we played Baylor in Waco. They absolutely loved it. Tractor races and all (dad wasn't too happy about us hot-rodding the tractor).

Here's a picture I recently found from that first Baylor trip in Fall 1989. Me in the deprecated Class A Summers standing by my Radical 1975 K5 Blazer (I spent a lot of hours working in the pharmacy at Eckerds store #2516 in Hewitt to pay for that truck).

McLennan County has not been the same since....
Rabid Cougar
AG
There was no central meeting place or bus transportation during my four seasons '82-'85 (tu, TCU, SMU, Cougar High).

You showed up (either alone or with buddies, after driving from where ever) parked, and then went and found your outfit at the muster area.

Coordination and arriving at the muster point as a class was pertinent. Pull outs were expected and it was up to upperclassmen to find them. Double class pull outs were met with harsh consequences.

My buddies and I made mini road trips to all instate games (Bu and Tech).

Had one awful mini trip to Fayetteville
ABATTBQ87
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Had one awful mini trip to Fayetteville
1984 Fayetteville trip was not fun at all; cold, wet, only half the band made it to the stadium before kickoff, the rest of the band showed up late first/early 2nd quarter.

Was the worst trip in my Aggie Band career
Quad Dog
AG
I thought I remembered reading that Cadets were being bused to Dallas, and it wasn't a "Find your own way there" Corps Trip like we used to have.
A quick Google search can't confirm buses or not, so my apologies if I was wrong about a bus trip.
TXAggieMom11
Quad Dog said:

I thought I remembered reading that Cadets were being bused to Dallas, and it wasn't a "Find your own way there" Corps Trip like we used to have.
A quick Google search can't confirm buses or not, so my apologies if I was wrong about a bus trip.

You probably did read something regarding that but it was referring only to the band being bussed up and back. Easy to confuse. The CT's are very much on their own.
CashinOut
AG
Does anyone know if the band still holds a practice on Friday in Arlington? I'm wanting to take my son out to watch them if they're still doing this. I asked this question on premium but haven't had an answer yet.
aggiejim70
AG
CashinOut said:

Does anyone know if the band still holds a practice on Friday in Arlington? I'm wanting to take my son out to watch them if they're still doing this. I asked this question on premium but haven't had an answer yet.
Due to the 11am kickoff the FTAB will not have a practice in the DFW area.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Southlake
Too early?

YGBSM!

Geez.
CashinOut
AG
Thank you
TXAggieMom11
Southlake said:

Too early?

YGBSM!

Geez.

The band boards busses at 0500 Saturday morning so they arrive at the stadium by 0900. "Geez"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.