Military Promotion Gift?

2,131 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GMaster0
Outlaw0206
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a mentor that will be promoting to Colonel in a few weeks. He mailed me an invite but unfortunately don't think I will be able to attend.

I would like to send him something to show my appreciation for his mentorship/ congratulations on the new rank. Is that overboard? If not, any suggestions?
74OA
AG
Nice sentiment, but overboard unless you have an informal memento or somesuch remembrance from your time together that you'd like to share. Anything more might well make him uncomfortable.

Mentoring you was part of his job, after all, and being a good mentor (leader) is also part of why he's being promoted. I imagine your enthusiastic congratulations will warm his heart enough.........
Paladin05
AG
Plus if you're still in, he's technically not supposed to accept gifts worth more than $10 from a subordinate. You may unintentionally create an ethics headache for him.
Fly Army 97
A personal letter goes a long way, and it would probably mean much to him.
Outlaw0206
AG
Thanks for the reply's/ advice!
cavscout96
AG
If you're not currently working for him, you're not technically a subordinate within his chain of command.

Do whatever you want. A note. A card . A bottle of his favorite whisky. You're call.
Paladin05
AG
cavscout96 said:

If you're not currently working for him, you're not technically a subordinate within his chain of command.

Do whatever you want. A note. A card . A bottle of his favorite whisky. You're call.

Chain of command doesn't matter for the purpose of that particular ethics rule. Has to do with the fact that the other person makes less than you do. Trust me on this one...sincere and cheap is the way to go.
cavscout96
AG
Paladin05 said:

cavscout96 said:

Chain of command doesn't matter for the purpose of that particular ethics rule. Has to do with the fact that the other person makes less than you do. Trust me on this one...sincere and cheap is the way to go.
mmmmmm.... okay ethics guy. I can't imagine a military organization where a person can't buy a case of beer, a bottle, or a box of cigars for a professional colleague, even one that happens to out rank him. I'd like to meet the person who turns either party in for an ethics violation.

Now, if you're talking about military contractors or anyone in the contract award side of the house.... I can see where you are coming from.
cavscout96
AG
There are plenty of exceptions including hospitality, infrequent and significant events, pre-existing personal relationships, etc. I would think anyone with any sense would come to the conclusion that a s long as there are no quid pro quo implications, there is no ethics concern.
USAFAg
AG

nm

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
K2-HMFIC
The answer is mess dress shoulder boards.

Them things are pricey.
Hey Nav
AG
When did promotion gifts start?

Back in the day, the person getting the promotion bought the drinks. And that was it.
GMaster0
I just promoted and really just an email with some warm sentiments means a lot. My mentors gave me challenge coins, but I spent a good sum of money on drinks and a party for my team and family.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.